Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Slaughter action figures/dolls, apparently LJN (who made the classic 80s WWF figures) had a Slaughter figure ready to go in '84 when the whole falling out with Vince happened, and instead of scrapping it they sold the design to Hasbro (makers of GI Joe) who turned it into a special give away. The ad is hilarious:

Sarge owns Hulk

Anyway, here's a totally random question from a newbie for somebody out there who might have some insight: Why did the Rockers stop using their Rocker-Plex finisher from the AWA once they joined the WWF? Was it decreed from above or something? It's something I've wondered about for years, because as an eight year old watching AWA on TSN I thought the Rocker-Plex was the coolest finisher around and was always disappointed they never busted it out in the WWF.

Regarding Slaughter action figures/dolls, apparently LJN (who made the classic 80s WWF figures) had a Slaughter figure ready to go in '84 when the whole falling out with Vince happened, and instead of scrapping it they sold the design to Hasbro (makers of GI Joe) who turned it into a special give away. The ad is hilarious:

Sarge owns Hulk

Anyway, here's a totally random question from a newbie for somebody out there who might have some insight: Why did the Rockers stop using their Rocker-Plex finisher from the AWA once they joined the WWF? Was it decreed from above or something? It's something I've wondered about for years, because as an eight year old watching AWA on TSN I thought the Rocker-Plex was the coolest finisher around and was always disappointed they never busted it out in the WWF.

I know I've seen them use it at least once or twice in the WWF but it sure as hell wasn't often and I absolutely can't give you dates.

Brickhouse Brown is a legend among shoots thanks to Highspots.

Why is that?

He's hysterical, full of shit, tells a thousand stories and tells them really well, drops shit on everyone, himself included (gotta love the story of the boys in the back telling him Dr. Death was pissed at him and Brickhouse was terrified), talks like a pimp and generally speaking is awesome to listen too.

What does one gain/lose by trumping for the full AJ TV sets, as opposed to Will's "80's All Japan" set? I'm assuming he went for the Classics airings for better VQ, but how complete are the main matches in their original airings? With my VHSs stocked away and my VCR long gone, I can't recall how much of it was JIP, and being more of a completist than a "comp" guy, what're the differences?

The DVDVR All Japan 1980s set covers the best matches as defined by the committee putting the set together. If you're a completeist, having the full TV season sets isn't a bad thing unless you're satisfied having a fifteen disc compilation that contains probably everything that was/is worthwhile from All Japan in the 80s. I have the 80s set but plan to also get the available TV sets sometime in the near future. I won't be happy until I have everything All Japan did from the 70s to the end of the 90s.

Obviously some of the changes might be improved quality, but the main difference is the amount of matches gained from season sets over the 80s set. Most of the TV sets average something like 15 discs, and that's per year instead of a 15 disc set that spans a decade.

I don't know about the match length stuff though, but someone like jdw or especially Ginnetty would know (since he is the guy that puts all of the TV sets together).

Michael Hayes is out as Head Writer of Smackdown. Replaced by Ed Koskey. This is actually semi important news as Hayes has been a proponent of pushing the established stars instead of elevating new talent. Probably won't be a dramatic change in booking but could still be interesting to watch

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...e10019458.shtml

I have never been a big fan of TNA wrestling. For the most part, throughout their entire history, they have been pretty shitty. Despite having some pretty talented guys over the years.

Right now, it looks like the worst thing about TNA is the "Immortal" faction. I'm not sure if anyone follows TNA or not, but basically, it's all the old guys.

I plan on watching the PPV tonight though. I have read some praise about TNA lately, which is rare in and of itself. Looking at the roster, they have brought back some people that I am actually interested in seeing, like Jerry Lynn, Christopher Daniels, Low Ki, Jack Evans, Austin Aries and a few others. Plus the new "Joker" Sting looks fun. The "gimmick" of Destination-X, apparently, is the return of the six-sided ring. Plus an Ultimate X match.

Am I crazy?

There was a Jerry Lawler story that was told on Friday's Sherdog radio. Jon Luther was talking about how he grew up in Memphis as a huge Lawler fan, and that he met Lawler at a barber shop. He asked Lawler if "it was real", and apparently Lawler told him "no", and it blew Luther's mind as a kid.