Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

It's good netiquette whether you criticize or not. For whatever we can say about Florio and the other ProFootballTalk guys, they go out of their way to cite and link to just about everything, even when "reporting" on a story that someone else broke.

Schemer has a multi-decade track record of ripping stuff off from the newsletters and not crediting it, except when he wants to rip it. Meltzer... I agree with Keith that his often not good at citing others, and it's really something he should know better.

John

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wednesday's WON

Heyman and Lesnar have either made a deal or at least are in very serious negotiations to have a business relationship with WWE. In the case of Lesnar, it is not to wrestle and as far as what we’ve heard, would also not be as a television character. Heyman would be as best we can tell, similar to the Lesnar deal, but mentioning either name right now would not be something forbidden, plus it also works in the sense people watching don’t know that.

The storyline of Lesnar coming in as an outsider and challenging for the title at Mania and Vince being afraid a non-contract shooter would take his title elsewhere would be far more money (particularly with Heyman as the mouthpiece as Heyman, like Punk, is one of the few people who could pull this angle off), than a guy who was doing even-Steven booking with Rey Mysterio a few weeks ago on the Money in the Bank (a show that did not do well last year on PPV even though it was one of the better shows of the year in the ring) show. But the argument is that it will be a long time, logically Mania in 2013 at the earliest and if Lesnar can make a successful UFC comeback, longer than that, before that angle could have been done and I don’t think they ever think that far in advance on what ifs that are far from guaranteed to ever happen.

And yesterday

--This seems to be a pattern whenever I report something regarding Brock Lesnar and message board people who don't read change it. Lesnar is not going to WWE. Lesnar is in negotiations for a non-TV connection with WWE that is close to being finalized. He is not going to do any matches almost for sure until his UFC contract expires, and may never wrestle a match with WWE the rest of his life. I seriously doubt he will ever be a WWE wrestler more than perhaps a big Mania match like the one that was talked about but fell apart for this year's Mania. This has nothing to do with UFC other than it is a deal UFC is involved with and would have had to approve since he's under contract to them. The only reason it was brought up is because Monday's promo mentioning Lesnar and Paul Heyman involve people that are in talks with for a deal that does not involve being television performers. Of course writing this again will likely mean more web sites will report Dave Meltzer saying Brock Lesnar is leaving UFC for WWE.

If PWInsider dropped the spyware I would gladly name them regularly. Not naming them has nothing to do with the site owners' more generalized awfulness.

Bix: you do name them. When you talking about "That Site With Spyware" (or words to that effect), everyone knows you're talking about Scherer.com.

That's a massive difference from the bullshit Schemer plays ("I'm hearing...") or the kind of douchey stuff DM pulls at times ("Contrary to what you might hear elsewhere...").

You (and Keith) are really good at naming where stuff comes from, being generous with direct quotes, and linking when stuff isn't buried behind a paywall. Big props.

John

Before the Observer was online, I remember every Wednesday, if there was a major story broken in the Observer, Scherer would post it saying "I'm getting a lot of emails asking me if is true, yes, we can confirm it is true."

As bad as Scherer is, Mike Johnson is unquestionably the #1 source for WWE news for at least two years now. In 2009 I started noticing the Observer was becoming a summary of Mike Johnson's hotlines from the previous week even a lot of times being reprinted almost word for word. In the 1% of the time that Meltzer breaks a story that Mike Johnson doesn't, there is a 99% chance that Meltzer will follow it up with VINCE CHANGED HIS MIND AGAIN when the story doesn't follow through. Mike Johnson never has to do that because everything he reports WWE wise is always dead on. Not too many people have figured that out yet and still think Meltzer is the leading insider but it's laughable if you read both sites. Just as a perfect example, like with PPV lineups, Johnson will give the booked card for the show weeks in advance and it'll turn out to be 100% accurate and then you'll have Meltzer and Alvarez guessing matches every few days and saying that WWE changes the card everyday. Funny how that works.

Dont get me wrong I've a lot of time for Mike Johnson he goes to more Wrestling shows than anyone else on the main sites. He seems to report news from locker room level so to speak rather than an almost third hand POV. He also seems to have sources in every department of the company. He is generally a better interviewer than Alverez too - more knowledge about careers off the top of his head as well as he can hold a conversation about things outside of Wrestling too without exposing himself. Scherer just comes across bitter, paranoid and cranky.

There is a great interview Mike did with Paul London. In fairness they were friends and Paul freely outs himself as source but Mike showed a lot real compassion and understanding on more heavy parts of the interview namely Paul's brother getting killed by a hit and run.

Mikey was always more solid than Scherer. :)

And I scratch my head why Mike doesn't go out on his own unless he's getting 75% of everything coming into Spyware.com... though of course Scherer probably have a good skimming racket going on as well. :)

John

Mikey was always more solid than Scherer. :)

And I scratch my head why Mike doesn't go out on his own unless he's getting 75% of everything coming into Spyware.com... though of course Scherer probably have a good skimming racket going on as well. :)

John

Mike explained his loyalty to Scherer before. Ten years ago or so he was in a massive car wreck, lost everything and at low ebb when Scherer offered him a full time job and freedom to report how he wanted.

If PWInsider dropped the spyware I would gladly name them regularly. Not naming them has nothing to do with the site owners' more generalized awfulness.

Bix: you do name them. When you talking about "That Site With Spyware" (or words to that effect), everyone knows you're talking about Scherer.com.

That's a massive difference from the bullshit Schemer plays ("I'm hearing...") or the kind of douchey stuff DM pulls at times ("Contrary to what you might hear elsewhere...").

You (and Keith) are really good at naming where stuff comes from, being generous with direct quotes, and linking when stuff isn't buried behind a paywall. Big props.

I agree, for the record. :)

As much as I personally dislike Mike Johnson, I agree that he absolutely does the best job reporting on WWE.

Mike explained his loyalty to Scherer before. Ten years ago or so he was in a massive car wreck, lost everything and at low ebb when Scherer offered him a full time job and freedom to report how he wanted.

Scherer redemption story... almost brings a tear to my eye. ;)

As much as I personally dislike Mike Johnson, I agree that he absolutely does the best job reporting on WWE.

It's too bad it happened in an era where I don't care much at all about the WWE. :P

John

Which is why it's an absolute shame that he does so at a website that will harm your computer if you visit it.

Which is why it's an absolute shame that he does so at a website that will harm your computer if you visit it.

Yup, and I don't even go there on my iPad where I'm safe. Part habit, part not wanting to give them any ad impressions at all.

I would really love to know how much the make in ad revenue. Obviously they go with the spyware ads because they pay more, but how much more?

TNA wrestlers can't be getting paid that well to want to be any part of something like that. Joe could become a full time gaijin for NOAH, New Japan, or All Japan if he wanted to.

I wouldn't be so sure of that after he had a bad match vs Misawa. And certainly, if NJ was interested they'd use him at Dome shows.

Not sure how much of the Misawa disaster you should blame on Joe. He wasn't helping, certainly; but Misawa looked completely broken-down and apathetic, almost like he had the flu or something. Literally half the match was one long resthold with Misawa in control.

Joe could become a full time gaijin for NOAH, New Japan, or All Japan if he wanted to.

"If he wanted to" is the key word there. I seem to recall hearing that Joe was offered a spot with NJPW in '03 or '04, when he was still ROH Champion, and turned it down due to the pay.

Joe turned down selling NJ the ROH belt. Not sure if it was supposed to be tied to him touring with them but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Not sure how much of the Misawa disaster you should blame on Joe. He wasn't helping, certainly; but Misawa looked completely broken-down and apathetic, almost like he had the flu or something. Literally half the match was one long resthold with Misawa in control.

I don't blame Joe, but everyone in Japan probably does.

Originally missread that as All Heels Wrestling....what it actually is sounds stupider.

TNA wrestlers can't be getting paid that well to want to be any part of something like that

3 of the 4 team captains are guys TNA's fired no longer working for the company so...yeah :)

I was watching Mutoh win the IWGP Title from 2008. I really hated the booking decision to do it but I love the finish to that match. He keeps hitting the Shining Wizard and can't get Nakamura down for the three count. He finally says "fuck this" and backbreaker, moonsault, new champ.