Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

Whatever Dunn said, I think the point was that he was saying it on a hot microphone that's presumably being recorded. We know that WWE has sent shows with his audio track out on unencrypted satellite feeds and they accidentally mixed him into the actual broadcast at least once ("Camera six, worst case scenario!").

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the impending Kevin Dunn vs Steph/HHH war should be interesting as well.

Court mentioning it was actually the 1st time I can recall hearing that Steph didn't like Dunn and that Dunn doesn't even work at Titan Towers but has his own seperate building a few miles down the road. Don't think there'll be much of a war since he pretty much flat out said Steph/HHH will fire him as soon as they gain the power to do so and that even Dunn himself probably know's it.

Wonder if there's anyone in that company that likes him besides Vince himself....

Also the impending Kevin Dunn vs Steph/HHH war should be interesting as well.

Court mentioning it was actually the 1st time I can recall hearing that Steph didn't like Dunn and that Dunn doesn't even work at Titan Towers but has his own seperate building a few miles down the road. Don't think there'll be much of a war since he pretty much flat out said Steph/HHH will fire him as soon as they gain the power to do so and that even Dunn himself probably know's it.

Wonder if there's anyone in that company that likes him besides Vince himself....

Kevin Dunn is a major supporter of Jerry Lawler whether than extends to an actual mutual friendship I dont know.

I heard about the turf war before probably from another Court interview. :P

Whatever Dunn said, I think the point was that he was saying it on a hot microphone that's presumably being recorded. We know that WWE has sent shows with his audio track out on unencrypted satellite feeds and they accidentally mixed him into the actual broadcast at least once ("Camera six, worst case scenario!").

I agree that there is an issue there, but the reason that they trumpeted about it so loudly was that they both hate Dunn with a passion. You didn't hear Corny or Percy calling out their friends Bruce Prichard and Michael Hayes for their racism, which is a bigger hot button issue than misogyny, and if they were put on the spot about it now, then we'd get the usual excuses and hand wringing.

I agree that there is an issue there, but the reason that they trumpeted about it so loudly was that they both hate Dunn with a passion. You didn't hear Corny or Percy calling out their friends Bruce Prichard and Michael Hayes for their racism, which is a bigger hot button issue than misogyny, and if they were put on the spot about it now, then we'd get the usual excuses and hand wringing.

True, but I really do think he was making a distinction with the "how have they never been sued" part because saying stuff over the headsets had more potential for disaster. It sounded like part value judgment, part "that's so risky that it's amazing they haven't been sued."

I started watching some NWA Hollywood today. I really hit a pet peeve during a match with TJ Perkins and Joey Ryan. I swear, like 75% of the moves in their match were countered into another move. It was just, reversal, reversal, reversal, reversal. It was really tedious to sit through after the first 5 minutes. I really try with indy wrestling and it just always finds a way to piss me off. To me, you're putting on a bad match if you're having every move get reversed because it ruins the flow of the match. Neither guy had control for more than 2 or 3 moves. How do you build a match doing that? There was no drama. I was just sitting there thinking "well, I guess it's just going to end out of nowhere" and a couple of minutes later it did.

They also weren't using a heel/face dynamic. Ryan came out with a Hollywood gimmick and acting like a heel but stopped as soon as the match started. So there was no dynamic for the match to build off of. It should have been Ryan bullying the smaller Perkins until Perkins made his comeback. But instead, it was just this mess of reversals.

HHH on Punk in WWE magazine:

People don't pay just to see wrestlers, they pay to see stars, larger-than-life athletes, heroes and villains. Stuff they cant see in their own backyard. Punk misses the boat on Kevin Nash, and I'm not saying this to side with my friend, but Punk does look like the short order cook at Waffle House.

I like Waffle House too, but I'm not sure I want to watch the cook. You can be the greatest at what you do. There has been a lot of phenomenal wrestlers. Ricky Steamboat was one of the best ever. But if he wasn't in a match with Ric Flair, tell me what else he headlined?

And this isn't a knock on Ricky, he's phenomenal. Punk's mentality is 'Do what I like.' He likes legit, technically gifted, skilled wrestlers. The fact is I do, too. I agree with what he's saying. Is John Cena the best technical wrestler? Absolutely not. Neither was Hogan, neither was Austin, neither was Mick Foley, neither was the Rock—neither was I!

Make me a list of technical wrestlers who were huge stars, and I'll make you a list of terrible wrestlers who were huge stars. I guarantee my list is a mile longer than yours. But who am I to say for the 90 percent of the WWE Universe, who don't give a crap about that and like Cena, that they're wrong and they should change, and be force-fed something they don't want?

When I grew up, I hated Hogan. I thought he was terrible and didn't like to watch him. I was like Punk in a way, I liked the Steamboats and Flairs and the ones that could go. Would I be right in saying that Hogan was the wrong guy to go with, and they should've changed direction and gone with Steamboat because he was the better wrestler? Ludicrous.

Really weird for a bunch of reasons: the dismissal of Steamboat minus Flair, classing Punk as this classical technical wrester etc.

Well, they've sure been booking the Waffle House cook in a lot of PPV main events recently. So obviously they see him as something more than just a "technical" wrestler or somebody they need to force-feed to 90% of their fans.

As for Steamboat, as far as I know he was a pretty decent draw between 1977 and 1984, at least in the Carolinas and Toronto, and not always because he was booked against Flair. Post-1984 (really, when wrestling history begins according to WWE), yeah, he was not a huge draw when given the main event spot. But he wasn't booked on top very often, and other than a house show run with Savage (maybe a B show run with Roberts?), not at all while in WWF.

I think the weirdest part is this was in WWE magazine. I haven't read an issue in years. Do they do a lot of non-kayfabe stuff these days?

It is the WWE Mag, so Trip is "in character" to a point. But it ends up ripping one of the talent.

An analogy...

I've always thought that MLB Owners, more than any other sport, have cultivated a mindset that their players are overpaid.

The NFL doesn't, with a few execptions like Haynesworth. The NBA doesn't, with a few exceptions like Gilbert Arenas.

MLB? It's a constant theme. MLB Owners so hate paying the players, and have spent nearly 40 years of constantly going to war with the players, that they can't help themselves. In turn, MLB Front Offices do it as well. Who spread it to the media, who inturn spread it to the fans. It's just a massive, constant burn where it's not just the Owners vs Players, but management has cultivated Fans vs Overpaid Players.

In turn, look at the NFL. If Payton Manning never plays another down, the Colts will have been on the hook for roughly $26.4M in signing bonus and this year's salary. There's been some coverage of this, and even on a major national level. But nowhere at the level of constant coverage for more than a decade of A-Rod's contract. Let's be honest: has A-Rod even done anything that's close to "Don't play at all and walk away with $26.4M on an injury you had when signing the contract"? No.

What MLB management has done is helped make their fanbase dislike a large chunk of players, including players on the fans' own teams. MLB's mindset is that fans come out to see the teams, players are interchangeable, and they're assholes anyway so why build up can fan interest in there.

What's happened over the past two decades? MLB popularity has dropped. Players are far less iconic on a national level than they were in the 70s, when people like Reggie Jackson and Pete Rose were bigger sports stars than a four-time Super Bowl champion QB like Terry Bradshaw. Even the two "biggest stars in Baseball" (Puljos in terms of what he's done over the past few years and Jeter in terms of New York Yankees icon) have spent the past year being portrayed as greedy relative to their contract battles with their teams.

Drawing it back to the WWE...

Their job is to get over stars that draw. Their job is to push stars who the fans like because those guys will help the company draw.

It doesn't help that job if Management shits on wrestlers than fans like, be it all of their fans or a good sized chunk.

Was/is Punk over with 100% of the WWE Fanbase. No. Does it matter?

The great thing about the Beatles is that it didn't matter if 100% of the fans like John, or 100% of the fans liked Paul, or 100% of the fans liked wacky Ringo. If 75% like John, 75% Paul and 25% like Ringo... you hope that the three hit some different elements of the fanbase... and maybe even reach beyond the expected fanbase a bit.

If 25% of WWE fans Really Strongly Like Punk, that's a Good Thing at a time when Buys and Attendance are kind of crappy compared to what they use to be. Perhaps it's not enough to make Punk the Ace of the promotion. But a smart promotion takes a look at this and says:

"You know... other than Cena and Wrestler X, no one scores as high in the Really Strongly Likes category. And of these 25%, 80% of them aren't too enthused about the rest of the product to the point they're not buying the PPV or going to how shows... damn, that's 20% of our total audience. Okay... so it's not enough to make him the Champ, but we really need to figure out something to do with him. Either we send him over to SmackDown to be the ace since no one over there scores high, or we figure out a way to consistently place him into strong programs right below the two World Champs and keep him over with his fans by not shitting on him."

And come up with something.

Instead, Trip is shitting on him in a worked-shoot WWE Mag piece that comes across more shooty. If you're that 25% that likes Punk strongly, it's another reason to check out of the show.

John

Is John Cena the best technical wrestler? Absolutely not. Neither was Hogan, neither was Austin, neither was Mick Foley, neither was the Rock—neither was I!

Someone needs to go back in time and tell that to 2000 Jim Ross.

More than anything, I think this shows how the term "technical wrestler" has become completely meaningless and is simply a synonym for "good wrestler."

I don't know if the MLB/WWE analogy really works. The antipathy MLB owners have for the players is easy to explain. They've never been able to break the player's union the way their counterparts in the NFL, NBA, and NHL have. Tearing the players down may have made baseball less popular, but class solidarity trumps self-interest. The WWE, on the other hand, doesn't even have a union. There's no rational reason for them to tear down their own workers.

It works given the person making it: Trip. Also those who have tossed it around through the years like Eric.

And no... they're not being rational. Frankly MLB Owners are rational either. It isn't rational to shit on the product you're trying to sell to the public.

"Look... fuck it... that $5 a month for using our debit card is overprice and not worth it. Any smart consumer would take his business to a credit union for a $0 account."

-Bank of America CEO

That's not rational. :)

John

Here's a feel good story featuring a wrestler in the mainstream media for a change:

Ray Rougeau=Hero

Raymond sure is one guy who got out of wrestling and lives a nice life afterward. Piloting his own plane... I don't know excatly why he retired so young (he was barely 40 I believe), but I think it has something to do with the Dynamite Kid debacle. Anyway, the Rougeaus are quite the opposite of the Von Erichs.