Pro Wrestling Only

Forgotten Good Workers/"Hey I Thought This Guy Was Supposed To Suck?"

Dylan Waco

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bushwackers gimmick is the best thing to happen to Miller/Williams. Both were in their early 40s by the time they entered the WWF. It gave them an easier style and a crowd-pleasing gimmick that they could take on the indy circuit for several years yet. Hardcore matches could've gotten them into ECW, but that wasn't exactly a paying gig.

Hell Vince was still trotting them out there as late as 1996!

I've been watching a lot of SMW lately and I guy I kinda dig is Boo Bradley/Balls Mahoney. He's not a good worker in the traditional sense, but he new how to play the sympathetic character well. He was super over in SMW where the crowd loved him. I haven't watched a bunch of his ECW stuff so I can't really comment on it, but some of the stuff was solid. Maybe Dylan or someone else could elaborate. His character stuff with Kelly and Miz in WWEECW was entertaining and got over.

Balls was hit or miss. I think Balls/Axl was a very, very good tag team and in general I think Balls was a very good tag worker. He had excellent chemistry with the Dudleys and FBI and was capable of working schticky stuff, brawling, even highspot heavy stuff really well. Was one of Tanaka and RVD's better opponents in ECW. Problem was bad Balls was REALLY bad as he had this really shitty slow motion way of bumping when he was blown up, could get sloppy as fuck, et. Probably better than his reputation would suggest but he's not one of the guys who has really stood out during all the ECW watching.

He is more forgotten, but I'll go with John "Earthquake" Tenta. I have been watching some of his stuff lately and I've found it really enjoyable. He always plays his role really well and is alot of fun to watch. Fat guys squashing people isn't something that ever gets old. I wish more of his AJPW stuff was out there as the little I've seen has been alot of fun.

There's a hell of a lot of AJPW stuff of his out there. From Dan's original tv sets:

Bold = also aired on Classics (usually in full)

5/2/87 (taped 5/1, 4/23)

3. Giant Baba/John Tenta vs. Goro Tsurumi/Rusher Kimura (7:00 shown)

5/9/87 (taped ?)

2. John Tenta vs. Masanobu Kurisu (6:28 shown)

5/16/87

1. John Tenta vs. Brady Boone (5:01 shown)

5/23/87

1. John Tenta/Tatsumi Kitahara vs. Ashura Hara/Jason the Terrible (6:28 shown)

5/30/87

2. John Tenta/Genichiro Tenryu vs. Rusher Kimura/Goro Tsurumi (9:22 shown)

6/5/87

1. John Tenta vs. Karl Von Steiger (5:34 shown)

6/27/87

2. Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. John Tenta (4:47 shown)

10/17/87

1. John Tenta/Giant Baba vs. Tiger Jeet Singh/? (4:35 of 7:03 shown)

10/24/87

3. Road Warriors vs. Jumbo Tsuruta/John Tenta (5:38 complete)

10/31/87 Special

2. John Tenta/Isao Takagi vs. Genichiro Tenryu/Ashura Hara (5:43 complete)

11/21/87

1. Terry/Dory Funk Jr. vs. Great Kabuki/John Tenta (1:00 of &;02 shown)

11/28/87

2. Abdullah the Butcher/TNT vs. John Tenta/Great Kabuki (7:18 of 8:56 shown)

1/9/88 (taped 1/9/88 )

1. Giant Baba/John Tenta vs. Rusher Kimura/Goro Tsurumi (2:48 of 6:36 aired)

2/6/88 (taped 1/28/88 )

4. Jumbo Tsuruta/John Tenta vs. Abby/TNT (10:28 complete)

2/13/88 (taped 1/29/88 )

3. Genichiro Tenryu/Ashura Hara vs. John Tenta/Isao Takagi (8:32 complete)

2/29/88 (taped 2/29/88 )

2. Genichiro Tenryu/Ashura Hara vs. Yoshiaki Yatsu/John Tenta (12:20 complete)

3/19/88 (taped 3/9, 3/11/88 )

2. John Tenta/Shunji Takano vs. Stan Hansen/Terry Gordy (5:15 complete)

3/26/88 (taped 3/26/88 )

4. Jumbo Tsuruta/John Tenta vs. Bruiser Brody/Big Bubba (6:35 of 10:14 aired)

5/1/88 (taped 4/21/88 )

2. Bruiser Brody/Jimmy Snuka vs. Yoshikai Yatsu/John Tenta (5:27 of 9:51 aired)

5/22/88 (taped 5/19/88 )

2. Jumbo Tsuruta/John Tenta vs. Tiger Jeet Singh/Jesse Barr (6:47 of 10:11 aired)

10/9/88 (taped 10/3/88 )

2. Yoshiaki Yatsu/John Tenta vs. Genichiro Tenryu/Toshiaki Kawada (13:54 complete)

10/16/88 (taped 10/12/88 )

2. Yoshiaki Yatsu/John Tenta vs. Abby/Greg Brown (6:46 of 9:12 aired)

10/30/88 (taped 10/26/88 )

1. Great Kabuki/John Tenta vs. Dan Spivey/Doug Furnas (5:35 of 12:21 aired)

11/20/88 (taped 11/19/88 )

1. John Tenta/Shunji Takano vs. Stan Hansen/Terry Gordy (11:08 complete)

All Japan Pro Wrestling (January 5 & January 15 1989)

2. Genechiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada vs John Tenta & Shunji Takano

All Japan Pro Wrestling (January 22 & Janauary 29 1989)

3. Dan Spivey & Brian Adams vs John Tenta & Osao Takagi

All Japan Pro Wrestling (August 2 1989)

1. Yoshiaki Yatsu vs John Tenta

4. Giant Baba, Rusher Kimura & John Tenta vs Jumbo Tsuarta, Great Kabuki & Masa Fuchi

All Japan Pro Wrestling (August 20 & August 27 1989)

5. Yoshakai Yatsu, Great Kabuki & John Tenta vs Abullah the Butcher, Pez Whatley & Tiger Conway Jr

Here are the matches that made Classics, with what looks like 3-4 additional matches (depending on if the dates on the RW match are off on one):

05/09/87 Masanobu Kurisu vs John Tenta

05/01/87 Baba & John Tenta vs Rusher Kimura & Goro Tsurumi

06/08/87 Jumbo Tsuruta & John Tenta vs Animal Warrior & Hawk Warrior

12/11/87 John Tenta & The Great Kabuki vs The Terminator & Tom Zenk

01/28/88 Jumbo Tsuruta & John Tenta vs Abdullah The Butcher & TNT

03/26/88 Jumbo Tsuruta & John Tenta vs Bruiser Brody & Big Bubba Rogers

03/27/88 Yoshiaki Yatsu & John Tenta vs Abdullah The Butcher & Tiger Jeet Singh

07/16/89 Jumbo Tsuruta & The Great Kabuki & Masanobu Fuchi vs Giant Baba & Rusher Kimura & John Tenta

09/02/89 John Tenta & The Great Kabuki vs Tiger ConwayJr & Shaska Whatley

I believe that's 32-33 matches, which is a pretty fair number for gaijin in that era who aren't the very top regular stars and in just two and a half years. I would be surprised if the Can-Am had 33-33 tv matches in their first two and a half years. Kroffat had about 64 matches on TV from 9/88 through the end of 1995... over seven years. Furnase about 55 in the same time frame of 7+ years. So that's a heck of amount of footage for Tenta in Japan.

John

In watching some old WCW matches, I was pretty impressed with Dustin Rhodes' work. He seems to get this rap of being a guy who sucks just because he was Dusty Rhodes' son and was pushed during a time when Dusty was booking WCW.

But in Dustin's case, I'd argue he deserved the push. He was over and worked some smart matches.

The Dustin megapush is one of the most ridiculous WON ... err, I have to use the dreaded words ... TALKING POINTS of the era.

Dusty booked steadily from 1991-1993. During that time, Dustin was pushed exactly as he should have been: an upper midcarder who won more than he lost. He never had a world title match on TV, and when he wrestled a top heel like Rick Rude or Vader, he was competitive, but lost in the end.

I always got the impression Pillman hated Dusty and buried Dustin to Dave, as he felt he was missing out on a big push because of Dustin.

Yeah Dustin has become a huge online favorite and with good reason.

What would be an interesting comp would be Pillman 91-93 v. Dustin 91-93. I love Pillman. He's one of my five favorite wrestlers ever. But I'm not sure he would come across as the clear victor in such a comp

Also Keller's criticism of Gang is bizarre in particular the stuff about lack of charisma.

The Dustin stuff was split:

* Paise for him as a worker

* knocks that he was pushed hard and booked not to lose

There are a ton of positive comments about his work, bumping, etc. At a certain point after the initial push-down-the-throats, there never were comments that he *shouldn't* be pushed, simply how hard he was pushed.

I suspect that a lot of it was based on the fear that it would be Von Erichs all over again, and Dustin would get pushed to the World Title. That trigger was never set up or pulled, but folks who'd been through Fritz's push of the kids (and other Dads pushing their kids in the business) weren't unreasonable to fear it, especially given Dusty's push of himself the last time he had the book in Crockettville.

Still, despite that worry, you'll see the praise of his work a lot in the WON no later than 1992, and it's probably not too hard to find in 1991 as well. Someone probably has the Torch Annuals to see were he's ranked as a worker in the two big companies. I suspect he does pretty well in those years. Don't know if there's one for 1991, but Wade picked up the poll in 1992 and went through at least 1995.

John

The Dustin megapush is one of the most ridiculous WON ... err, I have to use the dreaded words ... TALKING POINTS of the era.

It seemed like Dave used to freak out a lot about certain guys being pushed, even if the push wasn't all that strong. I remember reading in the 1992 WONs on the website about how the company was pushing Van Hammer down fans' throats throughout the year. The guy wrestled two PPV bouts all year, both very low on the card, and wrestled on one Clash of the Champions card. It's not like he was hurt, he wrestled on house shows throughout the year. For a guy being pushed down fans' throats, he was just another guy low on the cards.

Dusty was really smart in pushing Dustin. Started him off low on the card and he gradually rose up the ranks. If Dusty had kept the book DuStin woulda been WCW champion by 95 and it would of not looked out of place.

I watch a match Dustin and Kendall Windham had in 88 vs the Original Midnight Express and Dustin looked really good. I would of not guessed he had only started six months before.

Speaking of lost workers. Watching 87 NWA and I can't believe Kendall Windham never made it. He was not as good as Barry (not many people are( but he was really good. They could of made better use of him after Barry left for the WWF.

I think Loss it on the head about Pillman badmouthing Dustin to Dave. You see Dave in 92 really underselling Dustin's matches. A prime example would be calling his bout with Arn on the 1/4/92 WCWSN show 2 1/2*. Then again sometimes it takes Dave a while to warm up to a worker. It seemed it took him years to get Regal's greatness. When he 1st won the T.V title from Steamer at Fall Brawl he gave that bout less than 2*.

Speaking of lost workers. Watching 87 NWA and I can't believe Kendall Windham never made it. He was not as good as Barry (not many people are( but he was really good. They could of made better use of him after Barry left for the WWF.

Spending two years in prison probably did not help his career.