Pro Wrestling Only

Seriously Shameless

Kronos

Well, I don't know what the truth is, but the facts are that Rey got his world title push after Eddie death, and his entire push was centered on Eddie's death, complete with amazingly shameless promos from Orton.

I guess it kinda oppened Vince's eyes a bit since Rey got another Wolrd Title reign, and Rey probably means lot of marketing for kids, but I haven't followed this one at all, I don't know how long and how it went. They also pushed Jeff Hardy so I guess they are slowly learning that size isn't everything (although I never bought Jeff Hardy as a main eventer myself).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punk is also the current top heel and has held the title.

There was a news item in the WON a few months ago about how WWE realizes they need to start getting over small guys as threats because the guys coming into wrestling now aren't as big as they were in the past, and that the stars of tomorrow will be much smaller. I don't know when they start actually making inroads toward that goal, but the point isn't lost on WWE that it's where wrestling is going.

Then they fast track a guy like Mason Ryan up to the main roster because he looks like Batista, while Daniel Bryan is made to look like a goof who's afraid of girls and he doesn't even get his entrance on TV most weeks despite being US champion.

Bryan was shown to be feeling sorry for the Bellas and is "with" Gail Kim. Ryan is Punk's enforcer, not a title contender.

Rey only got a four week World title run this year to get him to cut short his planned vacation when The Undertaker went down with a broken orbital bone. Moreover, he beat Jack Swagger (in a four way) for the belt, the weakest booked World champion since Rey was first champion. So his short-lived run this year really proves nothing.

Guest Slickster

According to Caurt Bauer, the push to make Rey champ the first time came from the writers and such, with lots of resistance from Vince but he did it. Vince didn't do it because of Eddie, he did it cause the writing staff convinced him to do it. And yes, he then had Ray lose a lot.

Perhaps the writers gave Vince the idea to push Rey and Vince decided to tie it into the real-life Eddie Guerrero situation.

According to Caurt Bauer, the push to make Rey champ the first time came from the writers and such, with lots of resistance from Vince but he did it. Vince didn't do it because of Eddie, he did it cause the writing staff convinced him to do it. And yes, he then had Ray lose a lot.

Perhaps the writers gave Vince the idea to push Rey and Vince decided to tie it into the real-life Eddie Guerrero situation.

I can't remember all the details Bauer has mentioned...over and over again...but I'm pretty sure it was based on them loving Rey, his being so over, and the whole "Hispanic audience thing" for Smackdown. It totally became "Win it for Eddie", but the initial push from the writers wasn't, at least according to Bauer. Who knows? He does mention that Vince wasn't set to have Ray win at Mania right up until the show, more or less.

And as far as the second reign, sure it was fast and all that. But if Vince hadn't changed his mind on Ray by that point, wouldn't he have chosen someone else to take the belt off Swagger? Even for a fill in reign?

ICW was "Outlaw" promotion competing in what was CWA territory. ICW was calling out LAwler, Dundee and Valiant to face ICW's Ron Garvin, Bob Orton Jr and Bob Roop.

Not quite equivalent of Shane Douglas or Taz constantly calling out WCW/WWF champs. But same kind of idea.

This isn't really reflected in the yearbook, but it's something I noticed going through '96 stuff to prepare the yearbook.

January '96 was promoted as kind of a fan appreciation month in WCW. As a thank you, they were going to air a free Clash on TV. That's actually not so bad on its own. But Schiavone would say things while announcing like to be leery of any wrestling promotion that wanted you to pay to watch one of their shows. Bischoff said similar things at times on Nitro.

Humorous.

This isn't really reflected in the yearbook, but it's something I noticed going through '96 stuff to prepare the yearbook.

January '96 was promoted as kind of a fan appreciation month in WCW. As a thank you, they were going to air a free Clash on TV. That's actually not so bad on its own. But Schiavone would say things while announcing like to be leery of any wrestling promotion that wanted you to pay to watch one of their shows. Bischoff said similar things at times on Nitro.

Humorous.

Wasn't Clash always free? I thought that was kind of the point -- a PPV supercard but on their regular channel, 4x a year.

That ICW poster was awesome, but it's pretty shameless to use the lure of charity donations to get people to come to the show.

Humorous.

Wasn't Clash always free? I thought that was kind of the point -- a PPV supercard but on their regular channel, 4x a year.

Yes, the Clash was always free. They were promoting January as "We're not going to have a PPV this month, as a thanks for making 1995 our most successful year ever. Instead, we're going to give you a PPV quality card on free TV."

It's smart, relatively inoffensive, and perfectly fine. Implying that the WWF is a scam operation for putting the Royal Rumble on PPV was the funny part.

ICW was "Outlaw" promotion competing in what was CWA territory. ICW was calling out LAwler, Dundee and Valiant to face ICW's Ron Garvin, Bob Orton Jr and Bob Roop.

Not quite equivalent of Shane Douglas or Taz constantly calling out WCW/WWF champs. But same kind of idea.

Kind of like Eric Bischoff challenging Vince McMahon on PPV and then claiming a count-out win when McMahon didn't show up. ICW ran this gimmick several times where they'd advertise their stars against Memphis stars, and advertise alternate matches in case the Memphis stars didn't accept their challenge.