Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading at the time that she was a good friend of Nash's and he wanted to bring her back, but I don't know the answer to where she had been, other than that she lost that PPV match to Akira Hokuto with her career on the line.

The booking of Madusa in WCW in 97 just made no sense. They build her as the ace of the promotion fighting against the evil japanese devil Hokuto, but she never even got the belt and finally lost a retirement match and said goodbye, never to be heard from again until she was brought back as part of team Savage two years later. Just odd.

I just guess that Bischoff lost interest after getting her to drop the belt in the trash. He didn't have anything for her, wanted to kiss NJPW's ass a bit by giving Hokuto a big win, and then didn't know what to do with her so he paid her to sit at home.

So, yeah...WCW gonna WCW.

Rewatching all this stuff in context, 1998 actually began in late October/early November 97. No wonder Starrcade 97 was a failure.

100% agreed. The night after Fall Brawl was one of the most depressing episodes of wrestling television you could ever watch.

• 4 weeks later...

Havoc 93 right now.

Tony and Jesse are really awful on commentary for the show. The opening six man is a snooze fest, but the crowd wanted to cheer for shock master a little bit. But then you have Jessie talking shit about him the whole match, talking about how clumsy and uncoordinated he isn't always falling down and such. It's no wonder he never got a chance to recover from his terrible beginning, if that's the kind of treatment he was getting from the commentary each week.

Wonderful/Steamboat is a decent match, but I was a little bit unclear on the storyline behind their feud. Apparently there was a Paula involved, but there's no explanation given by Tony and Jessie.

Regal/Davey was terrific. Big shock there.

Have a few matches to go, including Vader/Cactus and Flair/Rude. I have high hopes for both of those matches.

One other point: Rick's tights are fantastic. On one leg is Flair with a black eye. Other leg is the yummy Fifi. Butt is a jack o lantern. Might be my favorite design from him that I have yet seen.

Watching Nitro 01 for first time in awhile. A couple of random thoughts and questions:

1. On this viewing, it isn't the fashions or the rasslin that date this episode for me. It's the stores! A flag store? A model train store?

2. Did Liger work a while in the US in Fall 95, or did he just pop over for this special event? And random: How much English does he speak?

3. I have to think the response to Luger's surprise appearance has to be a bit more underwhelming than expected.

4. Such a treat to see angles and matches that would be stretched to two hours soon enough all covered in just an hour.

5. Jesus, Hogan's stale. Even he doesn't care. His Hollywood reinvention couldn't come soon enough.

6. Bubba Rogers has put on a lot of beer belly since appearing on SMW Fire on the Mountain from just two years before.

7. Why did Sting not go to New York in 2002? Did Vince lowball him, figuring he had no choice but to accept?

Having watched a whole bunch of 92'-94' WCW pay-per-views this past summer, I must say one of the things I took away from that was just how good Orndorff still was at getting crowd reactions and, though his in-ring work probably couldn't be considered his peak, he still has quite a few solid outings against Steamboat and at least one fairly good brawl with Cactus Jack in there. Also, he consistently had those Paula chants following him every time he was on screen, so, when I got to 94' and it seemed like the Paula chants were going away, it is genuinely surprising and kind of sad.

Having watched a whole bunch of 92'-94' WCW pay-per-views this past summer, I must say one of the things I took away from that was just how good Orndorff still was at getting crowd reactions and, though his in-ring work probably couldn't be considered his peak, he still has quite a few solid outings against Steamboat and at least one fairly good brawl with Cactus Jack in there. Also, he consistently had those Paula chants following him every time he was on screen, so, when I got to 94' and it seemed like the Paula chants were going away, it is genuinely surprising and kind of sad.

What an embarrassing segment with Paul and a goofy psychic backstage at Fall Brawl 95, though. I enjoyed the beginning, where he's trashing his dressing room because he's frustrated about losing his self-confidence. But holy cow, the bit with the psychic is terrible. It does end pretty well, though, with Paul's kissing himself' in the mirror.

A couple of notes on Nov 18, 1995 Nitro:

Harlem Heat jumps the Bluebloods so they can't wrestle the Males. Then Booker T cuts a promo saying the Bluebloods don't deserve to wrestle - but "we're going to give you suckers a title shot." Wait, what? What a ridiculous reason to have a title match, and I am glad Harlem Heat lost the belt because of it.

Mongo: "He sat on his head! He sat on his head! Come here, Bobby, and let me try that." Since moving on to the next ep, I've already forgotten who he's talking about.

Luger gets lost on a promo and goes blank. Savage says something like, "C'mon talk to me."

Pillman/Flair and Orndorff/Badd are good matches.

Nov 23, 1995

I just watched it, and I've already forgotten it. I like Disco vs Wright to open the show, though.

I know I just whined quite a bit, but I actually am enjoying watching these nitros from the beginning. Some of it I've seen before, but the greater part I have not.