Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

Even though Hogan and The Giant have not even been able to have a discussion about the fact, commercials are already running for Halloween Havoc 95 and a title match between them -- a good four or five weeks early.

Was that typical of everyone at the time, or is it a WCW thing to advertise the PPV card before the in-ring angles have "created" the match? Now that I think about it, it's not like they could simply list the card on their website a few days before the event. So perhaps this is their only choice.

When did Titantrons become widely used? It's definitely not here, which means they can't show backstage clips and random vignettes to the crowd.

Also, interesting that The Giant throws himself to the mat also when he choke slams anyone. Is that a case of his being green and nervous about throwing someone down from such a height? I'm trying to remember if I've seen anyone else through a choke slam that way. He certainly doesn't do it later.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro was brand new and they still had plenty of other shows they were running angles on. It's not like now where Raw is the only show that "matters."

For sure.

I was thinking Hogan v Giant, specifically. It's clear that the feud is leading to a big match between them. But there's been no mention of it on TV, except for the commercials for the pay-per-view. I just thought it felt weird to already be advertising it.

When did Titantrons become widely used? It's definitely not here, which means they can't show backstage clips and random vignettes to the crowd.

RAW upload during the build for WM 13. Amazing to think we're 17 years later and the presentation basically hasn't evolved.

RAW upload during the build for WM 13. Amazing to think we're 17 years later and the presentation basically hasn't evolved.

So then a little over a year later. I'll bet it was a massive innovation. But you're right, there hasn't been much since. Sad.

Nitro 10/9/95

Hogan debuts the black gear and no mustache (thanks to being shaved the week before). He's getting a lot of boos, though Gene and Bischoff try to chalk it up to people being shocked at the clothing change. He's acting like total dick heel here.

I am digging Disco Inferno just inserting himself into the show. This time he felt the need to taunt Hawk - seems a bad idea, mostly because it means more Hawk on my tv.

The Flair/Arn feud continues to be awesome, especially now that Pillman's involved. This week has a cage match - which the commentary team makes clear really ought to have been on PPV but "aren't we awesome for making it free?" Pillman takes a nasty bump off the cage when trying to interfere. And Flair - in a lovely shade of Boehner Orange - cuts a wildman promo after Arn apparently international objected him. He looked nuts - it ruled.

Sabu vs Jerry Lynn is what you'd expect only more so. Oh, and it's our first view of Benoit, arriving in a limo. They're treating him like a pretty big deal. I'm not sure I'll be able to watch him.

Bit of fun as the announcers are all in Bears jerseys. Heenan's jersey has number "?".

Good ep. I do get tired of the constant references to the enemy and such. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

• 1 month later...

any guess on when Saturday Night turned into a completely skipable show? Even into late 96 they were still having NWO angles on the show and the top guys were involved. 97-98 not so much NWO stuff but they still had the upper midcarders (pretty much all non top NWO stars at this point) doing stuff. I remember watching routinely in 96/97 but sort of tapping out in 98 once Thunder started. Not even bringing up the post Russo Jimmy hart stuff that was in an alternate universe

caught this on the "This day in wrestling history" update from the Observer/F4W site.

Ric Flair won a triangle match, long before the term three-way dance was in the national wrestling lexicon, over Sting and Lex Luger in 28:03, and then in a second disappointing match, defeated Randy Savage when Arn Anderson hit Savage with a foreign object to win the WCW title in a call made by Hulk Hogan at the last minute to take the title from Savage to put it on Flair, so Hogan could be fed.

first I've ever heard of this. Hogan never chased Flair for the title as he feuded with the Giant the next 2-3 months while Flair and Savage traded the belt back and forth. Were plans changed?

I do think your ex-wife spending all of your alimony to party with the person you hate more than any other in the world is a strong hook that's relatable, so no wonder it worked. I'm surprised that has never been copied.

Liz and Savage being a fairy-tale romance with real-life weight (not that their life was a real-life fairy tale--it was a kayfabe fairytale but based on real life...if that makes sense. They weren't just two workers in a role) had a lot to do with it, too. You couldn't just repeat the angle with any man and woman, or even any real-life couple (who gave a shit when Debra turned on Steve McMichael?).

Edge and Matt Hardy is the closest we've come to pulling off a recreation, I think.

You have to give WCW credit for blindsiding us on 3 1996 PPVs in 6 months. The Liz, Mongo, and Hulk turns left everyone gobsmacked and yet it never really felt like overkill, either.

Quick question. Had Hogan not gone heel and Hall & Nash had stayed in WWF how would Bash have been signifficant or would they not have tried for two other names?

Odds are they probably would've kept Hogan off TV a bit more before bringing him back to chase the title with Savage/Flair/Giant. Sting/Luger hang around for the one off challengers but it's really a four man race.

The ECW acquisitions would've continued; maybe Maybe Eric would've made a play for other talent Vince had but it's hard to say really. Eric got to Hall and Nash at the right time honestly.

When I eventually get round to rewatching WCW does anyone have any idea when the shows from 88 - 96 aired on what days and times?

Some regions I believe aired Worldwide first but others aired Pro first so just curious.

Saturday Night
WorldWide
Pro
Main Event
Power Hour

Think there was a saturday morning or sunday morning show but unsure.

Power Hour aired first on Friday nights, then moved to early Saturday mornings. It would always be considered the first show of the week (accounting for different start times for Worldwide and pre-1995 Pro).

Main Event was on Sunday evenings, 6:05. Before this it was World Championship Wrestling: Sunday Edition--the change happened right around the first Clash.

And there was NWA Saturday Morning in 1988-89.