Pro Wrestling Only

Vince Russo

Coffey

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarantino is all about respecting the traditions of the genre. There is nothing that matters less to Vince Russo.

I like Tarrantino .... I just thought Russo might have been deluding himself into thinking he was just like Tarrantino, much like he has deluded himself into thinking he draws ratings, understands what wrestling fans want, etc etc etc.

I can't wait for the live YouShoot. Of course it will be filled with dumb shit, like questions about how big Batista's dick is (like all of them are), but just seeing his body language when he's asked questions about things like David Arquette, or World Champion: Vince Russo will be entertaining. Plus, maybe it can be a drinking game where you drink whenever he tries to make himself the victim in a situation.

If I'm not mistaken, he continues to insist that putting the title on Arquette was a good idea because it's something people still talk about today. There's a good chance he's dumb enough to actually believe that.

Russo keeps claiming the Arquette title win was good because a picture got published in USA Today and the folks who were filming a movie featuring Arquette were willing to shoot footage of him acting like he was the tough guy, at no cost to WCW. The problem with both is neither one translated to more viewers watching WCW or buying the PPVs.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess we can check "Fire Vince Russo" off the "OMG DO THIS AND TNA WILL SUDDENLY BE GREAT!" list. I just look at TNA as a roster full of old guys without much(or anything) left, guys who COULD have been stars for TNA but got ruined by bad booking, and very few guys who still have potential to step up.

Samoa Joe & AJ Styles could have been top guys in the company for years and years by now. Instead they killed Joe off when he was really hot, and he's been downhill from there. They've never seemed to know what to do with AJ, even when they recognized that they should be pushing him.

But who is there on TNA's roster that you can look at as guys with potential to carry the company that haven't been ruined already? After Roode & Storm who is there? Magnus?

That doesn't say much for Vince Russo, the guy who tried to say he was such a creator of stars in wrestling, that in all the years he booked TNA he didn't create a single one.

I guess we can check "Fire Vince Russo" off the "OMG DO THIS AND TNA WILL SUDDENLY BE GREAT!" list.

Well true, but I don't think anyone claiming that anticipated Eric Bischoff & Hulk Hogan being next in line to take over. Going from Russo to them is like going to a Dr and being told instead of amputating both legs they're only gonna need to chop off 1.

They've never seemed to know what to do with AJ, even when they recognized that they should be pushing him.

To be fair as botched as it was, I don't think AJ would have even gotten as far as he did, getting on & off main event pushes and world title runs without Russo tho. The only positives I ever liked about Russo is that he always tried to give everyone on the show something to do instead of only caring about the main eventers and that he was never afraid of pushing younger, newer or smaller tallent on top.

AJ Styles might be the most overrated wrestler in TNA's history. I have no idea why people try to defend him. He's pretty much what most on-line fans hate, I would suspect. He has a generic look, can't talk and all he does in the ring is Indy high spots. Oh, I see...OK maybe that is why people like him! I would go so far as to say that I hate AJ Styles and him being in the world title hunt is a joke. He also can't work heel to save his life. Austin Aries is just a 200% better AJ Styles. He can work circles around him, he can talk, he can work babyface & heel and he doesn't have that giant, awful A J tattoo! (instead he has some shitty kanji)

I do agree that at one time, Samoa Joe had a chance. Especially when TNA first brought in Kurt Angle or when Joe was doing the whole bloody towel thing. Now he just looks like a fat fuck with a bad haircut. He doesn't look like a star at all. He went from having a Sharpie dick on his face to changing his towel to a beach towel so he can hide his man-tits.

I agree with goc though, especially in the names that he mentioned: Roode, Storm & Magnus. I think all three could be top guys. How many "top" guys do you really have to have though? Isn't three enough? Austin Aries is also incredible but I don't think he can be a top guy just due to size (which that is kind of sad but it is what it is). They also have Bully Ray whom has really revitalized his career, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle & Sting. None of which were TNA made but they're top guys. I also really like Eric Young & Robbie E. but they're pretty much comedy characters, so I don't know if they'll ever be taken seriously.

TNA really just need to get off the Gunner, Crimson, Zema Ion & Garrett Bischoff train & stop trying to hold onto the stars of people like Ken Anderson, Rob Van Dam and random fucking D-Von Dudley.

I think their roster is the least of their worries though. Getting rid of Vince Russo is definitely a step in the right direction. Like FLIK said though, Hulk Hogan & Eric Bischoff are still there fucking things up. And Dixie Carter herself, too. She's just so gullible & inept. The production is a joke, the commentary sucks, the fans are bad for the most part (when they don't leave the Impact Zone and if the last PPV shows anything, when they leave the Impact Zone too), they can't market, they have no advertising, they have a negative stigma associated with their product, etc.

I think the biggest thing hurting them lately seems to be something that WWE is struggling with too: pay-offs. Heaven forbid people on Twitter might suspect a certain (logical) outcome. Fuck continuity, better change the finish because SWERVE~! "anything can happen!" Like Sheamus winning the Royal Rumble instead of Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar losing his return match to John Cena or James Storm losing the Lockdown PPV cage match to Bobby Roode.

They pretty much did, everything's been rebranded as Impact Wrestling months ago but everyone just calls it TNA. They couldn't even do that right. Instead of doing what Turner did when they went from using the NWA name to WCW (or WWF to WWE), they didn't stop using the TNA name entirely. Most noticeably the world title belt still had a giant TNA logo when they were really trying to push the Impact name. Now they aren't really pushing it as hard as they first did.

Guest Slickster

Everything I've seen since the start of the year has indicated the company is called TNA and the TV show is called Impact Wrestling. I'd presume this is in part so they can celebrate the 10th anniversary of the promotion without having their own WWF/WWE name confusion.

For whatever it's worth Meltzer reported a while back that TNA was going to go full bore on the name change but that there was a portion of the staff that thought the TNA name actually had name brand value and didn't want it gone so that's how we got this weird half assed compromise.

For whatever it's worth Meltzer reported a while back that TNA was going to go full bore on the name change but that there was a portion of the staff that thought the TNA name actually had name brand value and didn't want it gone so that's how we got this weird half assed compromise.

Those people need to die.

To get back on track here, I watched a video from Piper's RF interview where he talked about appearing on TNA and antagonizing Russo about "killing his cousin Owen". Looking back, Roddy had the best intentions to humiliate him but maybe going that far was a bit too much. Vince later said he was upset by it because Piper wasn't there and that he was good friends with Owen. Looking back at it, pre-accident it seemed like WWE had a hard-on for competing with what Sting was doing in WCW as far as doing crazy stuff from the ceiling. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that came from the other Vince.

It's always been said that no matter who does the writing, at the end of the day VKM has to approve it so he should shoulder the credit/blame for whatever happens on WWE TV.

I think the Owen thing was probably them trying to goof on Sting rappelling from the ceiling all the time by having their over the top cheeseball superhero gimmick do it.

The blame absolutely falls on Vince McMahon because regardless of how it was conceived, Vince would've had to approve the company preparing the stunt.

There's no way McMahon could speak publicly about it due to the liability issues. But I get the feeling that if he could change just one thing, it would be the Owen Hart incident. His #1 mistake.

That's a no-brainer. And it was obviously a goof on Sting, but they had done up-in-the-air stunts before. Other than Shawn coming down the zipline at WM 12, there's the end of the Undertaker/Bossman match from 15 where not only was BBM "hung" from the cage, but Edge/Christian/Gangrel flying around like someone in a grade school production of "Peter Pan".

That's a no-brainer. And it was obviously a goof on Sting, but they had done up-in-the-air stunts before. Other than Shawn coming down the zipline at WM 12, there's the end of the Undertaker/Bossman match from 15 where not only was BBM "hung" from the cage, but Edge/Christian/Gangrel flying around like someone in a grade school production of "Peter Pan".

Apparently Shawn was nervous about doing the zipline, so Vince went first to prove it was safe.

Isn't there actual footage of Vince riding the zipline on one of the DVDs?

I don't think it was spoofing WCW so much as both companies at the time trying to top each other with stunts and shock value. They were both into wacky stuff with vehicles and explosions and crazy stunt bumps

I was surprised WCW kept doing that sort of stuff after Owen's death. They had Kanyon fall like 25 feet, crazy stuff with Vampiro and Sting, etc. IIRC WWF didn't do anything like that again for a long time.

Isn't there actual footage of Vince riding the zipline on one of the DVDs?

I don't think it was spoofing WCW so much as both companies at the time trying to top each other with stunts and shock value. They were both into wacky stuff with vehicles and explosions and crazy stunt bumps

I was surprised WCW kept doing that sort of stuff after Owen's death. They had Kanyon fall like 25 feet, crazy stuff with Vampiro and Sting, etc. IIRC WWF didn't do anything like that again for a long time.

The "Sting" fall was a stuntman.

WWF did plenty of stunt falls in the next few years. Shane McMahon made a gimmick out of doing it on PPVs, not to mention the various stuff involving the Hardys/Dudleys/E&C. Even Vince took a few of those, like the big fall off the scaffold onto some kind of padding during his match with HHH. So, they didn't completely learn the lesson. But they did indeed stop fucking around with the rappelling-from-the-rafters bullshit after Owen. WCW (and TNA) kept doing it because apparently protecting Sting's gimmick is more important than showing sensitivity to one of the most infamous tragedies in wrestling history.