Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-06-20-WCW-Beach Blast] Rick & Scott Steiner vs Steve Williams & Terry Gordy

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen this in a while so I'll check it out again soon. One thing about this show was the in the ring stuff was really good. Some of the booking choices is weird. We get 2 non title matches. 2 Matches that end up going 30, so the main event going 30 kinda kills the iron match stips. Not allowing the Sting/Cactus match or Rude/Steamer to go last because of an angle with Cactus and Steamboat seems stupid. Here's an idea. Kill the angle and do it on the weekend show. Plus you could argue the Iron Man match had too many falls. Plus in back to back matches we see Cactus work over Sting's ribs and then in the next bout we have Steamboat work over Rude's ribs. FYI Rude sold his ribs a billion times better than Sting, and with Sting we actually had an injury angle. For a guy who had a rep for being a sticular for detail Watts does miss a lot here.

• 9 months later...

Agreed about the booking making no sense with non-titles matches and two 30 minutes matches on the same show, which drained the audience, especially when Doc & Gordy weren't over much.

Anyway, I hadn't seen this in ages, and it's way better than I remembered it to be. What's cool is that there's no way the Steiners were gonna bully Doc & Gordy around. Doc & Gordy really give the entire match its structure, so I like it much better than all those vaunted Steiners spotfest. Cool amateur stuff early on. Doc had really progressed working all this time in AJ and it shows. Gordy is great. The Steiners are kinda shitty face in peril, and although they work obviously toward a long match (meaning : slow pace), they do get some got heat at the end. Gotta love Gordy keeping an hear on teh final countdown, and as idiot Steiner is doing hand gesture to the public while only a few seconds left, Gordy immediately gets up to feed him for the frankensteiner before it's too late. Gordy was great. Anyway, I liked this quite a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Good double team work by the heels near the finish. Kudos to the crowd which seemed pretty pumped near the end of their second 30 minute match of the night. Scott ignoring the time call to signal for the frankensteiner was probably a worse finish than at the Clash with the ref telling Scott to kick out.

• 3 months later...

Not allowing the Sting/Cactus match or Rude/Steamer to go last because of an angle with Cactus and Steamboat seems stupid. Here's an idea. Kill the angle and do it on the weekend show.

I know I'm responding to two-year old posts, but what the hell--doing this angle on the weekend probably would have worked fine, but the ostensible logic was Cactus Jack attacking the fatigued and vulnerable Steamboat.

Anyway, this was good down the stretch but I don't exactly relish watching these two teams go for 30 minutes. They do have very good chemistry and I wouldn't mind seeing this go to a proper blowoff, or at least see the Omni title change. Gordy looked as good as he did in the standout matches with Misawa, and unlike Scott at the end, Gordy was paying attention to the time calls. Check out Scott waving his hands around during the countdown, while Gordy has to pop back up from the tiger driver so they can get the Frankensteiner in before the bell. I look forward to comparing these two matches with the Bam Bam/Vader match upcoming, as the IWGP champs match up to the Steiners very similarly to the MVCs--willing to go up for spots but with enough skill to keep them reigned in.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad this got cut down to the last few minutes. It's not a bad match, although the booking sucks, but their Clash match is much better. There's really no good reason for the draw. Doc and Gordy were winning at the Clash being shown two days later, so it wouldn't hurt them to have lost to the Steiners here, especially with them taking the WCW straps from them a few weeks later anyway.

• 1 year later...

They cheated it, but only by about 1:30. Using the WWE Network clock, it goes about 28:30 or so.

Crowd was definitely drained, but the way Gordy and Doc worked, it wasn't going to be as exciting. Yes, they made the Steiners work way differently than they were used to, and it made them better because of it, but at the same time, there wasn't much excitement behind this match at all. Too methodical. They cut this in half for the Clash match and it was fine, albeit not exactly memorable, either.

There was a lot of talk amongst tape traders and the dirt sheets about this being a dream pairing, right? Because it was the top gaijin team from NJPW facing off against the top gaijin team from AJPW?

• 1 year later...

This was very strangely wrestled by both teams. I'm not sure Doc knew that they were running out of time, or if he did he didn't care. I've never seen a wrestler go to a reverse chinlock and a front facelock when a match was in countdown mode before. The Steiners weren't much smarter; Rick took some nice punishment, but he made no effort to tag Scotty until it was too late in the bout to properly set up the Frankensteiner, which should have caused a 2.9 count interrupted by the bell.

It just seemed that everyone was a step slow here, and I hope there are better matches between the two teams coming down the road.

My comments are solely based on the clip from the Yearbook, not the full match as is the case with some others in this thread.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-06-20-WCW-Beach Blast] Rick & Scott Steiner vs Steve Williams & Terry Gordy
  • 1 year later...

In regards to the complaints about this being last, I would say Watts put that angle in there so this match had to go last, the match was not put last because of the angle.  Watts wants Doc & Gordy headlining, simple as that.

The match was kinda puzzling in the way that garretta mentioned.  The MVC can do crazy, hectic finishes really well too, so I don't get why it went the way it went.

• 1 year later...