Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-08-10-NJPW-G1 Climax] Rick Rude vs Shinya Hashimoto

Loss

• 1 month later...

Chono's style was far more similar to the American heavyweight style at the time than Hashimoto's, so he made a much better match for Rude. This is a bit of a styles clash and I couldn't get into it. Both are really good at their styles, but they don't mesh like they should. Rude doesn't work stiff enough for his stuff to look good with Hash. I also wish Rude had modified his style just a little to remove stuff like Madusa's interference, which is just weird in New Japan. He also comes off the top rope way too many times, although the top rope DDT and kneedrop from the top to finish both looked great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was a styles clash, but I thought a lot of it worked. Hash work is so snug looking, and Rude is a great bumper and sells his ass off that this worked for me. True the Madusa's interference didn't seem right. I liked Hash working over Rude's back was well done. Rude's top rope DDT was top choice stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Rude sells well for Hashimoto's kicks. I loved Rude selling his back while doing his dance. Man Hash's kicks were really something else. Nice to see their breakout moment on this yearbook. I agree that Rude looked out of place here, but I didn't think it was bad. He didn't tone down his heel schtick at all and it felt different and fun, with Madua's interference getting pretty solid heat. Hash eats a big DDT and gives Rude a pretty soft one. Rude with a great looking DDT off the top and top rope kneedrop for the finish.

• 3 weeks later...

This was okay--sort of a poor man's version of Savage/Tenryu with the American heel working full-fledged American heel style in the foreign setting. But Madusa wasn't as effective as Sherri was, Hash wasn't adaptable as Tenryu was and yes, some of Rude's offense looked a little weak in comparison. Having said that, the DDT off the top was sick.

• 1 year later...

Whilst this was a bit of a styles clash it turned into quite an entertaining bout in the end. Rude didn't tone down his heel act at all for Japan which made it different and very heated. The Ravishing One certainly knew how to get a reaction, even if it was sometimes laughter. The American was able to sneak a victory because Hash was distracted by Madusa on the outside. The best part was actually on the comm afterwards. Sad music played in the background as Hash showed anger and disappointment at his failure. It was quite touching.

• 5 months later...

Decent match. I'm not so sure Hashimoto was quite the worker he would become in the mid-90's yet, so it's not exactly all Rude's fault that they don't click that well. I actually enjoyed Rude more than Hash here, gotta love the reaction for his failed hip swivel. I didn't mind Madusa's interference, just like I didn't mind Sherri's during Tenryu vs Savage. And those tights. Rude was an awesome package.

I call bollocks on that. Hashimoto was doing miracle carry jobs of Chono a whole year earlier. Rude's performance here was incredibly shitty, as Hashimoto clearly tried to modify his style seeing as how Rude had no intention of taking the usual amount of Hashimoto punishment, but Rude offered nothing in return. The failed hip swing is probably the only good thing he contributed to the match.

I call bollocks on that. Hashimoto was doing miracle carry jobs of Chono a whole year earlier.

To me Chono was easily the best heavy in Japan after the AJ crew in 91 (shoot-style apart, I have no idea how I'd rank them from 90 to 92). Hash was nowhere near as good as the other musketeers and Hase at this point. He passed them all later in the decade.

I don't think Chono was ever good. I'm not even sure how the hell you make an argument he was better than either Hashimoto or Mutoh (whom I don't like nearly as much) when his best matches were against them and they produced much better work than he did against other opponents.

• 7 months later...

First of all, why Rude didn't adopt that top-rope DDT as a finisher I don't know. Madusa's referee distraction set it up well, and it looked about as devastating as any top-rope move I've seen. He didn't need the knee afterward; Shinya was going nowhere.

I might be blind, but I didn't see a styles clash here at all. In fact, I thought Rude wrestled a much better match than Shinya did. Shinya's overreliance on kicks isn't nearly as noitceable when he's wrestling a native, since most of them use kicks liberally as well. But when he's in there with someone who uses varied offense like Rude did here, he's exposed as a one-move wonder, only different from non-athletic slugs like the Missing Link and George Steele based on the move he uses. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but Rude works circles around him here. So does Madusa, for that matter. (By the way, Madusa used to wrestle in Japan, which may be why they allowed her at ringside. It's similar to when Freddie Blassie would occasionally be allowed to second an American when he was managing; he was someone that the Japanese fans already knew and held in high regard.)

I liked the fact that Rude and Madusa didn't change the way they worked, although I wonder if Rude would have made the effort to change if he'd been getting the belt and thus coming back at least semi-regularly instead of losing to Chono in the finals.

Rude looked a little hesitant going to the top at times, but I thought it was good strategy against the bigger Shinya. He does it more often in WCW than he did in the WWF, so it really doesn't seem all that strange now.

I wish we'd seen Rude's prematch spiel here, but I think we're getting it in at least one of his other two Japanese matches, so I won't complain.

Nice to see Dusty at ringside. Hope he was finally able to enjoy his cervezas in piece!

In fact, I thought Rude wrestled a much better match than Shinya did. Shinya's overreliance on kicks isn't nearly as noitceable when he's wrestling a native, since most of them use kicks liberally as well. But when he's in there with someone who uses varied offense like Rude did here, he's exposed as a one-move wonder, only different from non-athletic slugs like the Missing Link and George Steele based on the move he uses. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but Rude works circles around him here. So does Madusa, for that matter. (By the way, Madusa used to wrestle in Japan, which may be why they allowed her at ringside. It's similar to when Freddie Blassie would occasionally be allowed to second an American when he was managing; he was someone that the Japanese fans already knew and held in high regard.)

I don't even. What was so good about Rude's performance? I'm failing to see his genius in terrible camel clutches and chinlocks and that god awful missile dropkick. His cartoony selling was amusing but so what? That bit where he jumps over Hashimoto and then DDTs him is outright embarassing, and that anyone would actually defend Madusa's terrible interference is making my brain explode. Pulling someone's leg and then going "oh, I'm sorry" was some sub-Brie Bella level stuff. Rude did an solid job feeding Hashimoto I guess, but on the scale of "Hashimoto vs. an american opponent" this is below his matches vs. Steve Corino, Steven Corino and two unknown indy guys, Scott Norton and Jake Roberts and much closer to his matches vs. 1996 Ric Flair and Kevin Nash. "One move wrestler" is the type of terrible lazy criticism I really didn't expect to see here.

I have no interest in anything past the mid-nineties, so I won't be checking out any of the matches you're talking about, at least I don't think so. I base my opinion of Shinya purely on what I've seen in the yearbooks so far, and what I've mostly seen is a fatass who throws nice kicks. If he was in North America, he'd be doing jobs left and right for everyone on the roster of the Big Two, face or heel, regardless of how good he looks in his home country. He may develop into a better worker later on, but unless he's better by '95 or so, I'll never see it and don't really care to. For now, I emphatically stand by my opinion.

I've read the name Brie Bella here and there in various threads, but again I have no interest in the current product, so I don't care how good or bad she is.

If he was in North America,

At this rate in a couple of months I'm only going to take OJ's opinions on japanese wrestling seriously.

LOL

That's rich coming from you - Garretta is making his way through the Yearbook sets chronologically.

(And I am a person who does value OJ's opinion)

I don't know guys. I'm not not dismissing the option of me being a hostile asshole(though I'd hope no one would take my aggressive tone personally it is just arguing about fake fighting) but what exactly would you expect someone's reaction to be when someone shits on their #1? Thank you sunshine? I brought up stuff relevant to the match discussed and his reaction was "he's fat and would be a jobber in the US." I was hoping he'd defend his opinion of the match and performances in it. Yes, I can see he's making his way through the yearbooks, I have the "view new content" button as well. I don't see how that's of any relevance but feel free to explain. I commented quickly thinking the match was fresh in his mind and he could respond accordingly.

When I comment, what you see is what you get. I don't break down matches frame by frame, critiquing every move and how good it looks like some people do here. Not that that's a bad way to watch a match, but it's just not one I employ. Especially when I have a whole other set to go through after this one, I watch each bout once, let my first impressions stand, and move on to the next bout. I don't defend or explain my comments much, especially for something that's not from the WWF or WCW. Take them for what you think they're worth.

• 1 year later...

This match was fine. It felt like Hashimoto working a WWF match in Japan. I just thought both were kinda there. What was up with the 8 million top rope attempts that was weird.

Rick Rude vs Shinya Hashimoto - NJPW 8/10/92

Rick Rude's 1992 is one of the most highly acclaimed calendar years in wrestling history and rightfully so. Thus I was intrigued by this match up of an all-time great in Hashimoto and the '92 Rude who was an all-time great in this year. This is the G-1 Climax, which was a single elimination tournament for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. It is actually a very routine Rick Rude match. There is not a lot of struggle. It is just Hashimoto overcomes Rude's thrust to throat early and kicks ass. But I did not think it was that great of an asskicking. Then he spinwheel kicked into corner. Then Hashimoto basically worked a routine WWF match with hope spots. The weirdest part of the match by far is Rude going up to the top 8 times. It was jarring and kept taking you out of the match. Madusa's interference was fine. Rude's Super DDT was wicked! Top Rope Kneedrop in combination was great. Actually pretty well set up. Decent Hashimoto works American style, Rude sleep walks through the match. Cool to see Dusty & Watts in the crowd. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1992-08-10-NJPW-G1 Climax] Rick Rude vs Shinya Hashimoto
  • 2 years later...

I wouldn't say this was a bad match.  I'd also not put it above "good" which seems like less than you'd expect from these 2.

What I liked:

Rude's selling was top-notch.  Hash brought some really great kicks to the match for sure.  I did like Rude staying true to who he was at the time.  I know it's in NJPW, but too many changes and it doesn't make sense.

What I didn't like:

This is a criticism I have of many NJ juniors matches of the later 90s and I wonder if it just isn't lazy booking on somebody's part.  Going to the top way too often without any real good reason killed this match more than any camel clutches Rude could do.  Rude's offense did not hold up next to Hash's.  He needed to work a little stiffer.  After that first third of the match up to the finish nothing had much consequence for more than about 30 seconds.

I hadn't thought of this watching the match, but Loss may have a point with the bit about both guys used to being in charge.