Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan Knows Best also helped tear apart his family. Not that it wouldn't have happened anyway but it didn't help things.

And that cost him a lot of cash. And while Hulk was able to get a younger hottie, none of us are naive enough to not think Hulk was banging younger hotties throughout his marriage while on the road.

Whatever the show made Hogan, it probably cost him as much if not more.

I do wonder if the show itself was what gave Linda the confidence to push for the divorce in the first place, know what I mean? Now all of a sudden she was kind of a star in her own right, so why should she put up with his shit anymore?

Even if the show helped to put Hogan into financial trouble, I think it extended his shelf life as a guy who is legit famous now (rather than "that guy who was big in the 80s and 90s"). Don't know how many extra years it added to his shelf life, but from a fame point of view it added a ton of people -- twitter followers, recognition from teenage girls, etc. etc.

On Austin's podcast, Austin brought up the Bruiser Brody murder and Flair jumped in that he was there the night it happened. He talked about being at the show and having to go out and wrestle Carlos Colon for an hour right after it happened. Thought it was weird I never heard of him being there that night...

Well on Observer Radio today Dave said Flair wasn't in Puerto Rico that night.

Getting dates mixed up is one thing. We all do that. Getting mixed up about weather you were on a show where a guy was stabbed to death in the locker room in one of the most famous incidents in wrestling history then had to go work on that same show is something entirely different.

I do think this was likely a "Flair's brain isn't what it used to be" thing by the way, as opposed to a "Flair is bullshitting people on purpose" thing. But it isn't the most encouraging sign.

The last time Flair wrestled for WWC (at least as far as I know) was at Aniversario 86. Flair wrestled the Saturday and Sunday shows, making NWA World title defenses on both nights. Neither of them were against Carlos Colon (he wrestled Miguelito Perez on Saturday and Invader 1 on Sunday). Brody appeared on both of those cards. The claims a lot of wrestlers make about being in the locker room or at the card that night in 1988 reminds me of the people that say they were at Woodstock even though they were in elementary school when it occurred.

Flair did wrestle Carlos to a one hour draw but that was around 82-83.

I do think this was likely a "Flair's brain isn't what it used to be" thing by the way, as opposed to a "Flair is bullshitting people on purpose" thing. But it isn't the most encouraging sign.

That was my read on it as well. Hogan is a mix of bullshit artist, bad memory and megalomaniac. His brain just mixes and matches and whatever comes to his head and whatever comes out comes out. With Flair I get the impression him saying that is in line with the shit my father use to say during his death descend from a life of similar excess as Flair. It wasn't a fast descent but it was noticeable it was happening.

I was under the impression that while the divorce made a huge dent, especially with him giving Linda such an insane settlement, the Graziano settlement is what put him into the red.

I think because Linda was carved out of the Graziano settlement, leaving him on the hook for it.

Could be wrong on that, but when you lose HALF and that Half isn't on the hook for the settlement (or bought out cheaply), you're getting a double whammy.

One could also argue that the show did to the idiot son, and how that might have indirectly contributed to the accident (a lot of stupid shit in it)... show was a giant negative.

On Austin's podcast, Austin brought up the Bruiser Brody murder and Flair jumped in that he was there the night it happened. He talked about being at the show and having to go out and wrestle Carlos Colon for an hour right after it happened. Thought it was weird I never heard of him being there that night...

Well on Observer Radio today Dave said Flair wasn't in Puerto Rico that night.

Okay... that's some holy shit stuff. High on the list. Way up their with the worst of Hogan's "Choshu/Fujinami tried to shoot on me and I straightened him out" bullshit. I mean... fucking YOW! :)

BTW, I agree that it sounded more like a warning sign that his brain is fucked than that he was trying to bullshit everyone. And didn't Austin say he brought it up because Flair had mentioned it the night before? Why would he try to work Austin about something like that?

Is Steve Austin really clueless?

He clearly wasn't going to call Flair on his bullshit so he may as well have been.

I think clown is right - wrestlers are always working. They lie and bullshit non-stop. Flair's brain could be (hell likely is) going, but I wouldn't hang my hat on that being the reason this story got floated

Normally I'd agree, but:

- Flair is a guy who adored Brody and has a greater sense of dudebro wrestler comradery than, say, Hogan would, to start making shit up about that.

- It's kind of a sacred cow among wrestlers. I'm racking my brain to remember if anyone else has tried to use "oh yeah, I was there that night" as a shoot interview tall tale and can't really think of anyone. Maybe Manny Fernandez?

If you told me Hogan said it, or Black Bart, or anyone else who hasn't put themselves on the friend of Brody mantle, I'd agree that it seems more likely this is just carny bullshit. But aside from Brody's closest friends like Stan Hansen or Gary Hart, Flair is one of the last guys I'd have expected to do it.

If it is just "lol carny bullshit" then it's the really low end of carny bullshit, since a good carny tells lies to actually, you know... gain something. There's really no payoff here. More the sort of lie you'd expect from C-grade wrestler trying to make his RF shoot more interesting.

Not saying it's impossible Flair is into that mindset now, but given the shit he's done to his body "his memory isn't very good" seems at least as likely. Considering normal people are going through that by their 60's pretty regularly the idea that it isn't happening to Ric Flair given all he's done to himself would be a medical miracle.

Normally I'd agree, but:

- Flair is a guy who adored Brody and has a greater sense of dudebro wrestler comradery than, say, Hogan would, to start making shit up about that.

- It's kind of a sacred cow among wrestlers. I'm racking my brain to remember if anyone else has tried to use "oh yeah, I was there that night" as a shoot interview tall tale and can't really think of anyone. Maybe Manny Fernandez?

If you told me Hogan said it, or Black Bart, or anyone else who hasn't put themselves on the friend of Brody mantle, I'd agree that it seems more likely this is just carny bullshit. But aside from Brody's closest friends like Stan Hansen or Gary Hart, Flair is one of the last guys I'd have expected to do it.

Didn't Piper claim he was there in his book?

I think it's a really really weird thing to make up. It's also not the sort of thing that you'd misremember. Flair was close to Brody, if he wasn't there that night, he'd know he wasn't. The details are strange too, why a 60-minute match with Colon rather than a regular main event? Odd thing to fabricate. What's he even selling or trying to get over there?

My sense was that Flair, drunk and rambling, BS'd about it during that 2K thing because he was on a bullshitting roll

Austin asked him about it, and Flair, not wanting to contradict his BS, perpetuated the lie

None of that is abnormal for habitual workers/liars/con-men/BS artists whatever

Austin may legit not have known whether Flair was there that night or not. He probably knew it was BS. He might have asked the story just to see what kind of answer a sober Flair would give, and if he might backtrack and give the real deal story, like a subtle call out. Maybe he just wanted some entertaining BS for his show. Like Johnny Sorrow said, this is why Austin is great on his podcast, because when his BS detector goes off he won't be a dick to his guest, he'll just calmly no sell and change subject....and Austin likes to BS with the best of them