Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did Flair say about Daniel Bryan? WWE is supposedly mad at Flair for "burying him" at the event.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/0...s-daniel-bryan/

1:02:28: JR asks Daniel Bryan about his WrestleMania dream opponent, and Bryan joked that he felt that he didn't belong on the panel. Flair agreed, saying, "41 years of wrestling [bruiser] Brody and Blackjack [Mulligan], you can imagine how I feel about you being up here. Good lord! What would have Harley [Race] said about him?!"

Bryan should have fired something right back at Flair. If nothing else, it would have be a good start to a program involving the two of them.

I put this in here instead of the Steve Austin thread but it reinforces that Austin may be the best interview out there today. Way more entertaining than Flair's shoot interview and he comes across as a likable guy which was not the case in the shoot interview.

This was tremendous.

I was really interested by him picking out Orton and Slater as the second best tag team ever, they have been absolutely phenomenal whenever I've seen them. His stuff about Orton being a a great offensive wrestler is spot on.

You listen to Flair on a show like this and it's hard not to feel that there isn't a place for him somewhere in the business. He could have a show just telling stories on 24/7 or something. So much passion for it still -- although you know that it's pretty much the only thing he has in his life. But, y'know, he's a total one-off: there are no other guys who bridge the 70s to the 00s like he has. Just don't put him in the ring or even as part of the main product. Gene Okerlund has found a nice niche.

Anyone seen the Brody and Hansen vs. Tenryu and Slater match he mentions?

I think anybody with Flair's emotional history who has lost a child has at least thought about suicide. I speak from personal experience in dealing with someone who lost a child who was in their 20's that is entirely possible.

Of course I don't know him so it may not apply, but I'd be very surprised if we don't lose him soon. Besides the emotional toll of this recent loss and whatever damage alcohol has done to his body and mind, there's the issue of the fact that he never bothered looking for his real parents which if he did doctors could have access to family health history and such.

Flair has never struck me as someone who would suicide himself. He might get married and divorced a few more times and continue to drink himself into a stupor, but he seems to love life way too much to want it to end. It's entirely possible with his age and habits he accidentally kills himself though.

I bet Daniel didn't take him up on drinking. He doesn't seem like much of one, but not a straight-edge guy like Punk (who I'd imagine Flair just loves).

HHH has supposedly never had a drink in his life, and Flair loves him......

Doubt Punk would have ever been willing to carry Flair's bags tho....

I bet Daniel didn't take him up on drinking. He doesn't seem like much of one, but not a straight-edge guy like Punk (who I'd imagine Flair just loves).

A take away on Total Divas is that John and Nikki enjoy the occasional alcoholic drink, while Brie and Daniel abstain from it. That said, I could've sworn I saw Brie drink the same thing as John and Nikki on John's private plane, while Daniel was content with a bottle of water. Speaking from personal experience, it's probably a little easier to avoid even being a casual drinker if you don't own a TV. :)

Does anyone figure Flair for an eventual suicide?

Not really... doesn't strike me in that way.

A real Psychologist would probably argue that Ric has been trying to kill himself for decades with his all-party, all-the-time lifestyle.

Personally, I suspect he'll die in some sort of penis helicopter accident. :)

People have talked for ages about Hogan being unwilling to step aside, but Flair is a far more extreme example of that. Most old wrestlers get to a point where they want to work less and pursue other interests, even if they stick around. Ric still wishes it was 1985 and that he was working 300 nights a year. Hogan may miss his glory days to a certain extent, but I don't know that he misses being The Man quite like Flair does.

I've been hearing a bit about Buddy Rogers recently, not only from Matysik but also from reading around and from Flair himself on the Austin interviews ....

There are quite a lot of parallels. Rogers seemed like he believed his own hype and even when he came back in the late 70s (which is when Flair must have wrestled him) still believed he was The Man. I think probably the thing that made Flair so great was that he also believed his own hype absolutely.

What makes for a greater performer, doesn't make for a great human being in life. There's that and Flair just not being able to let go. This is why I think if they gave him his own "memories" show on 24/7 and if Flair felt like he was paid the respect you know he craves, he might calm down a bit.

Hogan has been smart enough to keep himself together to where he can do things like two-man Q and A's with Bischoff, like the one he is hyping coming up in Toronto. Basically a glorified lecture circuit for wrestling fans.

Hogan likes having some degree of the spotlight too much to let himself go. I think that's the catch with him; it's Hogan's love of fame that has probably kept him from doing the really goofy stuff. Hogan's eye has never left the ball. He still probably thinks he can get one last WWE payoff when TNA has to give him up (and he's probably not wrong). Where as Ric has become more the Axl Rose type that sees fame as a method of justifying the self destruction.

Part 1 of Flair's interview with Austin is GREAT and I urge everyone here to go listen to it if you haven't already. Flair is totally relaxed and funny and tells some great stories, and you can tell this is a huge thrill for Austin

Agreed.

Would pay for a premium version where Ric saying "Are you kidding me?" out though

Hogan has been smart enough to keep himself together to where he can do things like two-man Q and A's with Bischoff, like the one he is hyping coming up in Toronto. Basically a glorified lecture circuit for wrestling fans.

Hogan likes having some degree of the spotlight too much to let himself go. I think that's the catch with him; it's Hogan's love of fame that has probably kept him from doing the really goofy stuff. Hogan's eye has never left the ball.

Y'know I wouldn't underestimate what Hogan Knows Best did for him. My wife, for example, seems to know Hogan first from that, then as the wrestler. He's managed to stay in the minds of pretty much every demographic, so when he turned up at the newsroom where she works, it was a big deal for EVERYONE. Not just the males in the 26-35 bracket, but the women, the younger guys, everyone. I don't think Flair's ever had that kind of universal-level man-on-the-street fame.

But Hogan's savviness is in keeping it going. Some of the 19-year-olds now might not know Mr. T. Some will, but some won't. But I think he has faded more than Hogan has. I have students who blank me on Ghostbusters references, Ghostbusters for god's sake. Pretty sure they all know Hogan. There's an art to staying fresh in people's minds like that.