Pro Wrestling Only

Rumored returns, arrivals, matches, etc..

jpchicago23

Kind of a random question here: When the hard liners were feuding with the Steiners in WCW, WCW's syndicated show promised a match between either The Steiners vs Hardliners as a main event or a Rick Steiner vs Murdoch 1 on 1 match... Then the next week the match was canceled (Was this Scott's arm injury? I don't remember the time frame) and from what I remember (I was 8 or 9) WCW made it up to the fans by having the whole show be competitive matches instead of squashes (The only match I remember is OMG over Big Josh w/ Gang winning after Josh took a shot with his axe handle to his back)... Anyways... Anyone have a full line up or any idea why the match was canceled? Am I totally remembering this wrong???

Scott had his arm injured legit either in the Clash match, or in the post-match angle. Don't remember which. They may have announced it before the Clash aired, so they didn't know Scott was injured when they taped the show.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hardliners' TV debut (not the debuts of the two wrestlers, of course, but that act's debut) was at the Clash, so they wouldn't have been hyping that match beforehand. I don't know why the team left before Scott came back and they were able to have the blowoff match, though.

They debuted at the Clash, but if they were scheduled to debut at the Clash, they may have announced the match on a syndicated show taped prior to the Clash airing because things were already planned. That's what I meant.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, that's the kind of mistake that never would've happened in old-school WWF but was common in WCW during that time.

On a somewhat related note: Was WCW syndicated TV always a week behind? I never noticed if it was back in the mid 90s because there was less of an emphasis on week-to-week TV but in '99 and 2000 I can recall watching Worldwide, which aired here on Sundays, and them discussing the Nitro that had aired 13 days earlier as if it was the most recent show.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, that's the kind of mistake that never would've happened in old-school WWF but was common in WCW during that time.

On a somewhat related note: Was WCW syndicated TV always a week behind? I never noticed if it was back in the mid 90s because there was less of an emphasis on week-to-week TV but in '99 and 2000 I can recall watching Worldwide, which aired here on Sundays, and them discussing the Nitro that had aired 13 days earlier as if it was the most recent show.

That got annoying when the announcers had to say they had no clue what Goldburg's record was and fans should tune into Nitro to find out. Mad them sound incompetent

It was about 3 weeks behind here in the UK from 1999, which was frustrating when Nitro was only 3 days old when shown, and Thunder was 1.

It also had a heel Mike Tenay who did his commentary in post production for it claiming that the Nitro team who'd be on camera (and sometimes he'd be part of) were the WCW.com commentary team and that Worldwide was as-live. Which made even less sense when you factor in they'd show a Nitro match, Thunder match, and occasional Saturday Night or Dark match in different arenas.

It seemed for over a year, from 1997-1998, I kept running into the rumor that "Hack Myers is set to debut in WCW". I don't think it ever happened.

In early 1998, there was a rumor that the Four Horsemen were going to be re-formed. Consisting of Flair, Lex Luger and Goldberg. That would've been interesting. But the big dispute between Flair and Eric Bischoff went down and the plans were scrapped. They re-visited the idea around mid-August 1988, which eventually led to Flair's big return on Nitro and the Benoit/McMichael/Malenko (with Arn) version of the group.

I remember rumors in late 1991 (that still linger to this day) that Kevin Von Erich was set to join brother Kerry in the WWF. Kerry was about nine months past his usefulness to the WWF at that point, so a natural pairing with his bro as a full-time tag team seemed possible.

It seemed for over a year, from 1997-1998, I kept running into the rumor that "Hack Myers is set to debut in WCW". I don't think it ever happened.

In early 1998, there was a rumor that the Four Horsemen were going to be re-formed. Consisting of Flair, Lex Luger and Goldberg. That would've been interesting. But the big dispute between Flair and Eric Bischoff went down and the plans were scrapped. They re-visited the idea around mid-August 1988, which eventually led to Flair's big return on Nitro and the Benoit/McMichael/Malenko (with Arn) version of the group.

I remember rumors in late 1991 (that still linger to this day) that Kevin Von Erich was set to join brother Kerry in the WWF. Kerry was about nine months past his usefulness to the WWF at that point, so a natural pairing with his bro as a full-time tag team seemed possible.

Up until 30 seconds ago when I Googled it, I thought Hack Meyers and Sandman were the same guy. No, seriously.

Up until 30 seconds ago when I Googled it, I thought Hack Meyers and Sandman were the same guy. No, seriously.

For years in the 90's, I actually thought "Sandman" was former 80's jobber "Sandy Beach". Just "grown-up" and now wearing baggy pants. Since ECW seemed to have a buncha' leftover 80's undercard guys (like Shane Douglas or Raven), it made sense to me.

I remember Hack working in WCW almost for sure

I did some searching and found the following from "The History of WWE" website:

WCW @ Orlando, FL - Disney / MGM Studios - May 3, 1997

Pro taping:

The Barbarian defeated Hack Myers

That's the only result I can find for Hack Myers in WCW on there. I'd say the site's usually about 95% accurate with WWF listings, but I'm not sure about their WCW stuff. Sounds like Hack went through a similar treatment as "911/Tombstone/Big Al" did in WCW.

If accurate, I think I remember Hack's name being tossed around the still-somewhat-new Internet marks as the "Impact Player set to debut at MGM Grand on Nitro" that WCW teased in June of that year (which turned out to be Raven and Curt Hennig).

I couldn't believe how over Hack was in ECW in 1995. I'd say his "SHAH" chant got transferred over to Balls Mahoney with "BALLS". It satisfied the ECW Mutants' need to chant whenever a midcard guy threw a punch.

I guess Hak is what "da boyz in da back" call Sandman.

Basically yes, that's how he's been always called by everyone. So when he went to WCW and couldn't use the Sandman name (or they didn't want him to, I don't remember), they basically asked him how he would like to be called, and since everyone calls him Hak, there you go.

I remember Hack working in WCW almost for sure

I did some searching and found the following from "The History of WWE" website:

WCW @ Orlando, FL - Disney / MGM Studios - May 3, 1997

Pro taping:

The Barbarian defeated Hack Myers

That's the only result I can find for Hack Myers in WCW on there. I'd say the site's usually about 95% accurate with WWF listings, but I'm not sure about their WCW stuff. Sounds like Hack went through a similar treatment as "911/Tombstone/Big Al" did in WCW.

If accurate, I think I remember Hack's name being tossed around the still-somewhat-new Internet marks as the "Impact Player set to debut at MGM Grand on Nitro" that WCW teased in June of that year (which turned out to be Raven and Curt Hennig).

I couldn't believe how over Hack was in ECW in 1995. I'd say his "SHAH" chant got transferred over to Balls Mahoney with "BALLS". It satisfied the ECW Mutants' need to chant whenever a midcard guy threw a punch.

He was on a couple of episodes of WCW Pro. Also Gangrel did one Pro Taping as Dave Heath.

Hack Myers was in at least two other WCW Worldwide matches in '97 that were even better, working Dean Malenko on the 1/12/97 show, and then teaming with Bunkhouse Buck vs. Public Enemy on the 6/15/97. Malenko match was really good, and the quality of the tag doesn't really matter because every man alive would want to see a team of Hack Myers and Bunkhouse Buck.

Hack Myers was in at least two other WCW Worldwide matches in '97 that were even better, working Dean Malenko on the 1/12/97 show, and then teaming with Bunkhouse Buck vs. Public Enemy on the 6/15/97. Malenko match was really good, and the quality of the tag doesn't really matter because every man alive would want to see a team of Hack Myers and Bunkhouse Buck.

I'm continually amazed at who showed up on WCW's "programs not named Nitro" in the 90's. Once you got past that robotic GREEN ARM on Saturday Night, it's like an alternate universe with High Voltage, Barry Darsow, the Cuban Assassin and others!

Heck, even Glen Jacobs showed up in the early 90's. I think it was as "Bruiser Mastino"; a name used by about 3 or 4 other guys.