Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

To the above point, I think nagging injuries was why Ted Dibiase moved down the card in 1991. He couldn't compete to the standard he once did. The saddest memory of mine is him basically being treated like a job guy at Rumble 92 in the Rumble match himself. Being put in Money INC was the best thing for him and allowed him to have one last run in a very solid position on the card. When he left WWE in 1993 and did a tour of AJPW with Steve Williams (tags), I believe it was cut short due to injuries again, and he was allowed to fly home on full pay as a token of respect. DiBiase was brilliant in his prime and I have a lot of time for his matches / promos.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A man with masses of talent and a super cool aesthetic but who was born with the worst business sense in modern Wrestling has seemingly burnt every bridge:

Brandon Sylvestry (Low Ki/Senshi), 32, has been telling promoters that have contacted him that he’s retired. He’s moving on into voice over work. He had been in talks with All Japan, but had asked for a huge guarantee. At one point they had an agreement but All Japan backed off. He did say that with the right program with a major group, he is open to coming back, but not unless it’s something major.

Source: Wrestling Observer.

And short man's syndrome Rovert. Low Ki being removed by CZW security makes me giggle every time I think about it.

It is a bit more than that with him in fairness. I would be relatively fine if he was just stiffing dudes in the ring here and there. But it is not jobbing in situations where companies had been more than fair in how they booked him up to that point and thinking it is real are the more annoying things. Who knows about WWE but most certainly would be riding the New Japan gravy train still if he just played ball once.

Hard to believe he is only 32. That means he was twenty when he was ripping it up on the indie circuit in 2001, which seems absurd. He always struck me as a bit older.

Anyway, the guy had tons of presence and charisma, but it might be for the best that he gets out now. He was never going to be a major guy in WWE and his ego wouldn't have accepted a jobber spot. He burned his bridges elsewhere. A career change might be good for him. Still expect to see him back in a year or less though.

Yea this is probably a "no one is offering me enough money to wrestle" retirement where he hopes by sitting out for a while he'll drive up his price, since the longer he is out the more impact a surprise return would have.

Has Nick Patrick ever come out and said if Hogan ordered him to abort the fast count at Starrcade 97? I can understand Bischoff not saying any more than what was in his book as he still has a financial tie to Hogan, but you'd think that Patrick would be able to open up about it 15+ years later.

Has anyone seen this? Furthermore what does it say about me that I really want to see it?

Fuck, I want to see it, if only to see how they edit a bunch of previous shoots into a "new" show. I wouldn't pay for it but I'd watch it for sure.

What a great con. "Here's clips from all the shoots you bought presented as a new DVD."

In his shoot interview, he denies any wrong doing and claims he counted faster than normal.

Maybe he had a different shoot, but in the RF shoot it's even worse. Rob is asking him about the StarCade 97 finish and Nick Patrick asks him what about it? RF is like "uhhh I think it was supposed to be controversial or something" and Nick goes "well I don't remember" and RF says "me either" and that was the whole discussion. Didn't stop him from advertising "StarCade 97 explained" as one of the selling points for the DVD though.

I actually found that above trailer nauseating. Like it actually made me feel sea sick listening to random heads and stupid colours praise anonymous people for God know howl ong, I had to switch off after a minute.

Perfectly reasonable response, probably the response I should have had myself

Has anyone seen this? Furthermore what does it say about me that I really want to see it?

I don't remember anything about you in the shoot. It's fucking terrible. Sinister Minister is rated number 5 and Jimmy Hart isn't even on the list.

To the above point, I think nagging injuries was why Ted Dibiase moved down the card in 1991. He couldn't compete to the standard he once did. The saddest memory of mine is him basically being treated like a job guy at Rumble 92 in the Rumble match himself. Being put in Money INC was the best thing for him and allowed him to have one last run in a very solid position on the card. When he left WWE in 1993 and did a tour of AJPW with Steve Williams (tags), I believe it was cut short due to injuries again, and he was allowed to fly home on full pay as a token of respect. DiBiase was brilliant in his prime and I have a lot of time for his matches / promos.

Reading through an old thread that recently got bumped, I came across a post I made myself that takes the opposite argument.

DiBiase did get a second go against Hogan during the whole Zeus feud.

And again at the "Survivor" Survivor Series battle (and again at Wrestlemania IX). He was always a good go-to guy for a match or mini-feud against Hogan because the characters are such natural enemies.

And I'm sure they were gearing up for another push for him in 91 with Sherri, but two things happened: first of all, Ric Flair came to town and secondly, he found himself as a tag champ when the hastily thrown together team of himself and IRS after Road Warrior Hawk failed a drug test.

If Flair hadn't turned up, I'm fairly sure Ted would have had one more run on top of the card, because he had good chemistry with the top faces of that time (Savage, Bret and also with Piper). I'm not saying it definitely would have happened, but if you look at the skits and stuff from around that time, they were definitely gearing up for a push of some sort for him.

Maybe some guys who have recently been watching the 91 Yearbook could speak to this?

If he was sliding down the card, why were they still protecting him on tv against a guy they were clearly pushing like Bret? Why not send Bret over DiBiase clean? And why send him over Piper semi-clean?

Never much of an action figure guy, but WWE.com has a gallery of some amusing figures from over the years. Featuring "Lionheart" Chris Jericho as a lion tamer and Marc Mero as an armored intergalactic space warrior.

Posted Image

http://www.wwe.com/classics/the-most-ridic...-figures-photos

I don't really get the Alex Wright hatred, but other than that there's some funny stuff.

If only #thankyounaylor could be trending during Raw to see if Cole would mention that.

Really was one of the most overwhelming things ever. Every single one of the NXT roster and staff posting the nicest messages and photos amid all the madness. Wherever he is going I don't think he will be stuck for reference that's for damn sure.

Definitively King for the day:

Posted Image

Posted Image