Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Looking back at it, it seems like Diesel's reign was kneecapped as badly as Warrior's was. Not saying either guy was better than they were, but their booking as champ certainly did them no favours.

The other thing about the Shawn turn was that even the promo up to the turn didn't foster much sympathy for Shawn. He basically blames Sid for the loss and tells him to take a hike, Sid responds by telling him to show him some respect. Shawn blows a gasket and Sid clobbers him. It's no wonder the crowd thought Sid was turning. Very clunky execution, reminiscent of Demos-PoP at SS '88 where the crowd actually thought Fuji was turning face,

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know they were worried about Diesel getting booed in his first title defense against Bret at the Rumble, which makes me wonder a few things:

(1) Were they so short-sighted in attempting to recreate Hulkamania that they couldn't have Diesel win the title in a more competitive match, and hold it off to the Rumble at that? The advantage was that more people would have seen his title win and he'd actually beat a heel that meant something.

(2) If they needed heels to feed Diesel after turning and knew they were turning him as early as July (according to Nash, that's when he first learned about it), why didn't they protect Owen more in blowing off the Bret feud? If they wanted bigger heels that were a better visual match, it seems like they could have also put a different wrestler against LT at Wrestlemania and built up Bigelow as a top shelf opponent for Diesel.

(3) Why even do the Bret match if that's the reaction they are worried about? A newly turned babyface who needs cred and favorable booking facing the most popular guy in the company in his first high profile title defense seems counterproductive. Diesel vs Bret might have meant more if it was held off a little longer. Hell, Diesel being champion might have meant more if it was held off a little longer.

Watching Bret week-to-week in 1994, as soup23, Kevin Ridge and others have done along with myself, we all pretty much agreed that Bret's supposed signature run felt a little anti-climatic for whatever reason. So we understood going in a new direction. But the suddenness of the switch just sort of screwed with everyone, instead of maximizing the potential of Diesel's win, the turns of Shawn and Bigelow, the elder statesman role of Bret, the heel runs of Owen and Backlund, etc.

WWE really needed strong heels at this time.

It really is remarkable how lopsided the babyface side was in WWE from April to August 1995. The babyface side has Diesel, Shawn, Bret, Bigelow, Luger, Bulldog, Ramon, and Undertaker. The top heels were Sid, Mabel, Owen, Yokozuna, Lawler (and later Isaac Yankem), and Hakushi (who turned face in the fall). I mean shit, Tatanka got a PPV main event during this time period! They couldn't leave either Shawn or Bigelow as a heel? Shawn turning at the same time completely took the wind out of the sails of the Bigelow turn. And I know he wasn't under contract, but why not try going back with Luger as a heel? Luger as a heel might have been fresh after his babyface turn failed to set the world on fire two years previously. It's really odd booking, that the babyface side would be so stacked with almost no heels who could actually work with these guys. The last thing they needed post-Mania was more babyfaces.

The only Jannetty story I completely believe is Savage saving him from the cops. And that's because it makes me happy.

The Marty story I tend to believe are the ones of him drugging up women to bang, which if I recall correctly he told on his brief time on Wrestling Classics. Bix or Dylan - do you remember them? Anyway... it's not something that someone would make up, and only something that someone would say if he thought it was a cool funny story of his fun old days in the business. I recall that a slew of people were flat out appalled.

Drugging some college kids (two guys and a girl) on a plane and molesting the girl. Buddy Rose and Luke Williams (I think) corroborated it.

It's crazy how perception changes. It's not to say that was acceptable then, but the criminal justice system now makes that a very serious crime (as it should be). The guy must be a serious sociopath, which I suspect is an overrepresented psychological condition in the business.

It was a crime back then, and a pretty serious one. It's just that rape and sexual assualt have always been under reported and especially in that age range (high school / college) and circumstances (booze or drugs involved). They still are under reported, and if you ever read the stats on the % of women raped or assualted in their lifetime, the % that aren't reported, and then the % of rapists / assualist who actually ever do time... you brain would hurt. It's staggering data.

The only Jannetty story I completely believe is Savage saving him from the cops. And that's because it makes me happy.

The Marty story I tend to believe are the ones of him drugging up women to bang, which if I recall correctly he told on his brief time on Wrestling Classics. Bix or Dylan - do you remember them? Anyway... it's not something that someone would make up, and only something that someone would say if he thought it was a cool funny story of his fun old days in the business. I recall that a slew of people were flat out appalled.

Drugging some college kids (two guys and a girl) on a plane and molesting the girl. Buddy Rose and Luke Williams (I think) corroborated it.

It's crazy how perception changes. It's not to say that was acceptable then, but the criminal justice system now makes that a very serious crime (as it should be). The guy must be a serious sociopath, which I suspect is an overrepresented psychological condition in the business.

It was a crime back then, and a pretty serious one. It's just that rape and sexual assualt have always been under reported and especially in that age range (high school / college) and circumstances (booze or drugs involved). They still are under reported, and if you ever read the stats on the % of women raped or assualted in their lifetime, the % that aren't reported, and then the % of rapists / assualist who actually ever do time... you brain would hurt. It's staggering data.

I think his point was that it was on a commercial flight and there were no repercussions.

I have edited thread titles and applied searchable tags to every single thread from January 1990-January 1995 in the Match Discussion Archive section. Still need to finish '95 and do 1996 and 1997, and I'm starting to lose my will to live.

It's taken me two weeks. It's exhausting. I hope the tags are used enough to justify the amount of time I'm pouring into it. I think they will be, but I really hope they are.

- WWE has officially announced the return of Hulk Hogan to the company. WWE sent out a press release making the announcement and revealing that he will return on Raw, as well as host WrestleMania 30. The announcement adds that he will appear on the WWE Network's WWE Raw Backstage Pass, which will air live at at 11:05 PM ET.

Vince McMahon said in the announcement, "We are thrilled that Hulk Hogan has returned home to WWE. It's fitting to have him help us celebrate 30 years of WrestleMania and usher in a new era with the launch of WWE Network."

Hogan added, "Words cannot express how excited I am to be back in the WWE family. I only have one question for the WWE Universe: whatcha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild as the host of WrestleMania 30?"

(1) Were they so short-sighted in attempting to recreate Hulkamania that they couldn't have Diesel win the title in a more competitive match, and hold it off to the Rumble at that? The advantage was that more people would have seen his title win and he'd actually beat a heel that meant something.

Agreed. Having Diesel squash Backlund at a house show and RIGHT after SS just kind of made people go "huh"? Not only did you wash out the entire PPV, but you immediately render Backlund irrelevant instead of a viable opponent. Then, in Diesel's first real look as champ, you split the crowd against another face and have him go to a draw. Nobody benefits.

(2) If they needed heels to feed Diesel after turning and knew they were turning him as early as July (according to Nash, that's when he first learned about it), why didn't they protect Owen more in blowing off the Bret feud? If they wanted bigger heels that were a better visual match, it seems like they could have also put a different wrestler against LT at Wrestlemania and built up Bigelow as a top shelf opponent for Diesel.

(3) Why even do the Bret match if that's the reaction they are worried about? A newly turned babyface who needs cred and favorable booking facing the most popular guy in the company in his first high profile title defense seems counterproductive. Diesel vs Bret might have meant more if it was held off a little longer. Hell, Diesel being champion might have meant more if it was held off a little longer.

It's true they could have kept Owen stronger or given them another PPV gimmick match after SS to have them end it "once and for all". That allows Bret to buy some time get his baggage out of the way before making a run at Diesel. Also allows Diesel to establish himself before a face-face match. As for Bigelow, I understand why they turned him after the LT match because you can't really rehab a heel after losing to a celeb one on one, even one as talented as LT. But you're right that they should have had more foresight to keep more heel challengers in the bullpen. One wonders if they thought Jarrett was going to be in that position, he seemed out of place interfering in the Diesel-Bret Rumble match.

It's fun to think about turning Bret at that time. That would mask a lot of deficiencies.

I'm reading the "how perception changes" and "now", and think the point of his first two sentences is the one I addressed. :) He, you and I all agree that it would be nice if Marty got some jail time over it.

Perception from the other passengers, who presumably didn't report it at the time. If you believe Marty (yeah, I know) a bunch of passengers were basically high fiving them for "dealing with" the unruly college kids.

Ok, so I was watching the Andersons versus Rock N Roll Express from Starrcade 1986 for the first time in full on the WWE Network and it was glorious as I expected. I figured I'd watch Flair/Koloff since I had never watched it. In between, there is this very strange music video of Magnum TA running on the beach to who I thought was his mother, but I guess was his mother. What mostly bothered me was the song it was set to "Her life is like a box that is always empty" sounds so 1995 like really had to have been produced in 90s, but this is Starrcade 1986. Does anyone know anything about this video/song?
-------------------------------------------
Nevermind, Tony just mentioned it on air. Song just sounded so weird in the 80s and does not seem to fit anything that happened to Magnum at the time.

I have edited thread titles and applied searchable tags to every single thread from January 1990-January 1995 in the Match Discussion Archive section. Still need to finish '95 and do 1996 and 1997, and I'm starting to lose my will to live.

It's taken me two weeks. It's exhausting. I hope the tags are used enough to justify the amount of time I'm pouring into it. I think they will be, but I really hope they are.

Back when I was compiling match listings for my WCW 90s project, I used Ctrl+F all your matches of the months because that was the only real place I could find a listing of the yearbooks, but sometimes you only ranked up the *** and up matches so I would have to go into each individual month to make sure I was not missing anything. Instead, I just clicked one of your tags and boom there was all the Dustin Rhodes matches no more Ctrl + F. This is so fucking bitchin'. Cawthon's site needs tagging. :D

Ok, so I was watching the Andersons versus Rock N Roll Express from Starrcade 1986 for the first time in full on the WWE Network and it was glorious as I expected. I figured I'd watch Flair/Koloff since I had never watched it. In between, there is this very strange music video of Magnum TA running on the beach to who I thought was his mother, but I guess was his mother. What mostly bothered me was the song it was set to "Her life is like a box that is always empty" sounds so 1995 like really had to have been produced in 90s, but this is Starrcade 1986. Does anyone know anything about this video/song?

Nevermind, Tony just mentioned it on air. Song just sounded so weird in the 80s and does not seem to fit anything that happened to Magnum at the time.

This aired on both MACW/WWW on 9/20/85.

Next we get a video for Magnum as a tribute to his mother set to Gary Morris' version of Wind Beneath My Wings which is way better than Bette Midler's.

This aired on both MACW/WWW on 9/20/85.

Next we get a video for Magnum as a tribute to his mother set to Gary Morris' version of Wind Beneath My Wings which is way better than Bette Midler's.

Thank God! I am not going crazy because Wind Beneath My Wings was not the song that plays during this music video. They had to overdub it with in house music, which is why it sounded so out of place. This all makes so much more sense why I couldn't find that song at all on the internet.

I was just curious how Cody Hall is in the ring at this point. I know he's inexperienced, but does anyone know how he is coming along? With his look and family connection, no way does WWE not try to sign him to a developmental contract at some point.

I'm watching Savage & Hogan vs. Avalanche & The Butcher (that's Ed Leslie, not Abdullah) from an episode of WCW Main Event from March 95'.

Two random thoughts -

Why is this the episode's OPENING bout?

and

Hogan seems so out of place in the studio setting, especially way its filmed, which really makes it seem like half the size of a high school gym. Hogan may not have been at peak popularity in 95', but he still just seems like too big a star to make sense wrestling for just a couple hundred people.