Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

I am going to dig into this tomorrow. A Dissertation on Wrestling Journalism:

http://tagropeblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/dissertation-is-professional-wrestling-coverage-a-form-of-journalism/

His Twitter handle.

He references Meltzer and the WON a good deal in it, but I'm a bit surprised that:

(i) he didn't have Dave (or Wade as an alternative) as one of his four Interviews

(ii) he does appear to have subbed to the WON during his "survey" period

The Bibliography just sites Tributes from Dave, rather than the WON itself. You'd think when writing something like this that he'd take out at least an $32 for 12 issues sub... or what the heck, fake it and take out a 4 issue one and C&P the past 12 issues to study for journalistic content.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite lurking on and sometimes contributing to internet wrestling message boards since the late 90s, 2006-2011 WWE is a complete blur. If I get in the mood soon to watch a Wrestlemania from that stretch (22-27), what's my best bet?

23 is a top five Mania of all time in my opinion. It has the best Mania MITB match, the Battle of the Billionaires, Taker-Batista, and Cena-HBK. All of those matches are either extremely entertaining or really great.

In an awesome bit of randomness, the Syracuse, NY Quaker Steak and Lube has a crane machine with CMLL Plush figures (complete with official tags) there was a Mistico right on top, and another Luchadore I didn't recognize (I think Mephisto or Ephesto) and I figured it was some sort of knockoff, until I saw the CMLL tag.

I thought about trying to get it, but I didn't have any cash. And, it also hit me, that if I got it, I'd really have nothing to do with it, after I showed my two or three friends who would actually care about it.

Despite lurking on and sometimes contributing to internet wrestling message boards since the late 90s, 2006-2011 WWE is a complete blur. If I get in the mood soon to watch a Wrestlemania from that stretch (22-27), what's my best bet?

23 is a top five Mania of all time in my opinion. It has the best Mania MITB match, the Battle of the Billionaires, Taker-Batista, and Cena-HBK. All of those matches are either extremely entertaining or really great.

Agreed, 23 is the best of that bunch.

24 is worth seeing for Flair-HBK, Big Show-Mayweather and Undertaker-Edge. It's also an outdoor stadium show with a cool setup, which always adds to the shows for me

Agreed, 23 is the best of that bunch.

24 is worth seeing for Flair-HBK, Big Show-Mayweather and Undertaker-Edge. It's also an outdoor stadium show with a cool setup, which always adds to the shows for me

I actually like WM22 just a tad more, though, my feelings on 23 are admittedly tainted from having attended it, but, as I was stuck in the nosebleeds, it was actually a pretty lame experience to be honest. Plus, as I drove home the same night, I think I had maybe one adult beverage. Not exactly the recipe for a thrilling night of watching 4 hours of ants wrestling.

But 22, to me, is a really good show. Edge and Foley deliver a great hardcore spotfest. Stratus vs. James is one of the best Diva matches I've seen (save for a botched finish, but compared to 4-5 botches per match for most Diva contests, that's actually exceptional). Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon have a really fun, emotional brawl, and Cena vs. Triple H wrestle (I think) their first match and it has a "big match" feel.

I don't remember loving Angle/Mysterio/Orton too much, but it definitely is a "moment." There's a MITB too and, if you're a fan of the genre (as JR might say), it's good for what it is. Plus, as it was at the Allstate Arena, the crowd seems a little hotter for the bigger spots which I think is something that is sometimes lost when you wrestle in front of a crowd three times as big.

There are a few duds, for sure, but I could see myself rewatching WM22 before wanting to see WM23. (Another nitpick - HBK and Cena have a better match on RAW a few weeks *after* WM23, which left me with a bad taste only because I'd paid good money to attend Mania. Again, that's more of a personal, completely bias opinion based on being a scrooge)

The classic WONs lately are interesting. If you follow his run in real time, he was a pretty good house show and PPV draw, and Dave admits sympathy for him suddenly being declared a failure because ratings became the end-all, be-all when Nitro and Raw went head-to-head. So WCW was now perceived as the #1 group, even though TV ratings were the only category where they were beating the WWF.

*drudge siren* the second match on the card is kane-khali *drudge siren*

MITB was a fine opener, but so far it's featured Mr. Kennedy, Kane-Khali and now I'm watching Eugene dance with Cryme Tyme and Moolah and Mae. Though Slick just dropped in, so I have that going for me.

I'd try to contact Hoops Johnson and see what he knows about it. Hoops is the guy that converted the Buddy Rose tapes some years back.

...and if this guy is, in fact Hoops Johnson (he might be for all I can remember), then it's a worthwhile investment.

I know I've been piling on Shawn Michaels a lot lately, but I don't think there's a more pathetic face than his "I'm sad and emotional" face. I just watched him pull it out during the segment where he forfeits the IC title to Dean Douglas, and the face he keeps making that is supposed to be ad looks more like he's taking a very consternating dump.

I know I've been piling on Shawn Michaels a lot lately, but I don't think there's a more pathetic face than his "I'm sad and emotional" face. I just watched him pull it out during the segment where he forfeits the IC title to Dean Douglas, and the face he keeps making that is supposed to be ad looks more like he's taking a very consternating dump.

Hey, it worked!

People cared enough about Michaels even when it was obvious that he was really vying for attention.