Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is just me being late to the party but the Santo retirement match is at the GUARDIANPURORESU youtube account. Santo/Gori Guerrero/Solitario/Huracan Ramirez vs Perro Aguayo/Misioneros de la Muerte. The whole thing (interview and full match) is almost an hour long. I don't expect this to be very good since three of the babyfaces are old geezers but this has been one of the lucha libre holy grails that we always KNEW was taped (two sets of highlights had surfaced in the last two decades) but had never popped up anywhere before.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe this is just me being late to the party but the Santo retirement match is at the GUARDIANPURORESU youtube account. Santo/Gori Guerrero/Solitario/Huracan Ramirez vs Perro Aguayo/Misioneros de la Muerte. The whole thing (interview and full match) is almost an hour long. I don't expect this to be very good since three of the babyfaces are old geezers but this has been one of the lucha libre holy grails that we always KNEW was taped (two sets of highlights had surfaced in the last two decades) but had never popped up anywhere before.

Always happy to help out a dude with Super Raton in his signature.

Always happy to help out a dude with Super Raton in his signature.

I wrote about the match on twitter starting here: https://twitter.com/TheAnthonyStock/status/493397158461075456

The footage is cool. The Solitario vs Perro Aguayo stuff is awesome. Unfortunately the match is two straight falls that end in DQs. It's crazy to me that even on a big occasion like this, everybody was so protected that nobody ate a single pin or submission.

Also, do we know when exactly the DDT was invented? Solitario using a series of DDTs in this match had me wondering. A quick google search just said Roberts started using it in the 80s with no specific year mentioned.

Rewatched a couple of Taker's recent WM matches. There seemed to be a lot of King's Road style influence in a few of them. The match against Triple H at Wrestlemania XXVII had a very 1990's AJPW feel to it.

The most apparent to me was his match against CM Punk. The no sell of the GTS followed by a Tombstone just cried of King's Road, particularly rising stars facing off against legends (even though Punk wasn't a rising star) matches, wherein the legend or ace takes the rookie's big move, no sells it or kicks out at two and returns the favor, only for the rookie to kick out and shock the world in a display of fighting spirit!

The finishing sequences too, it started at XXVI against Michaels, where HBK gave one final act of defiance in slapping Taker after surviving multiple Tombstone piledrivers, and then getting the "last resort" finisher (in AJPW, Misawa, Kobashi and Kawada all had these in the form of the Tiger Driver 91, the Burning Hammer and the Ganso Bomb, respectively) - the jumping Tombstone piledriver - to finally end the match. The final act of definance appeared again in the match with Triple H at WMXXVIII. The match with Punk ended with a finisher attempt/reversal sequence before one wrestler (Taker) was able to follow through. That was very reminiscent of Misawa/Kawada matches where they'd battle for the Powerbomb or the Tiger Driver, before one would eventually pull it off.

I've been watching some Saturday Night Main Events and I've noticed Hogan always wrestles at the beginning of the show or in the middle of the card. I know he did this during house shows because of venue curfews and having to fly to other shows. Was it related to that or was it some sort of ratings strategy?

Thanks, guys. I wound up getting both the Torch and Observer subs and I figure if I decide I don't like one or the other I can always cancel.

So far I'm kind of disappointed by the audio content on both. I listened to this weekend's shows from both sites and don't feel they were really worth downloading. The Bryan & Vinny show was just awful, in my opinion.

And, yeah, what's up with Wade's audio? It sounds like I was listening to one of those old "On the phone..." call-in promos from "Raw" in the late 90s.

Does Dave not put the current issue of the Observer up in PDF format? It's not a big deal, just that I'm sort of a mark for traditional newspapers and I'd like to read the Observer like a newsletter on my tablet.

I've been watching some Saturday Night Main Events and I've noticed Hogan always wrestles at the beginning of the show or in the middle of the card. I know he did this during house shows because of venue curfews and having to fly to other shows. Was it related to that or was it some sort of ratings strategy?

They wanted people to see Hogan before they went to bed.

Jesus Christ, his wife's name is Judy?

They wanted people to see Hogan before they went to bed.

It's not that too far away from what SNL has always done, which the show was a replacement for. Put the high spots up front and prioritize the rest.

Thanks, guys. I wound up getting both the Torch and Observer subs and I figure if I decide I don't like one or the other I can always cancel.

So far I'm kind of disappointed by the audio content on both. I listened to this weekend's shows from both sites and don't feel they were really worth downloading. The Bryan & Vinny show was just awful, in my opinion.

And, yeah, what's up with Wade's audio? It sounds like I was listening to one of those old "On the phone..." call-in promos from "Raw" in the late 90s.

Does Dave not put the current issue of the Observer up in PDF format? It's not a big deal, just that I'm sort of a mark for traditional newspapers and I'd like to read the Observer like a newsletter on my tablet.

There's a recent Observer Radio with Bret Hart that I really enjoyed. The Saturday Observer Radio is UFC heavy because there was a FOX show, so if you're not into that skip about 30 minutes in. I recommend going back into the archives and checking out the various interview shows. Some really good ones with Bruno Sammartino. A good one with Paul Heyman after Lou Albano passed. Lots of good interview shows with a wide range of guest.

The B&V show is more for fans of the website/Bryan's antics & his friends and family. They review shows but wrestling isn't the focus. His grandmother calls in every Friday and is a real character. They do X-Mas shows where they drunk dial a bunch of people. I think it's fun, but I totally get why some people HATE it

I prioritize it as 1) anything with Dave on it (Observer Radio, Sin Limite), 2) F4D depending on the guest (of the regulars I like Dr. Lucha, Storm can be grating but he's ok, I'm meh on Todd Martin) 3) B&V, 4) everything else. Karl Stern's show is good if you're into older stuff and can handle his thick southern drawl

The issue with Keller's audio is he simply hasn't invested in professional recording equipment. But even so, I and a lot of amateurs, can record better shows using our laptop and a decent mic, there's really no excuse

cm funk, I don't mind the UFC coverage. I like reading and listening to Dave because he covers MMA, pro wrestling, and boxing.

I'll listen to some more Bryan & Vinny and maybe it will grow on me. My job gives me a lot of time to myself to listen to podcasts so I'll look for those shows you mentioned, too.