Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

From DVDVR:

Estimate a number for me of how many wrestlers can credibly be described as "one of the biggest wrestlers in the history of the business". Let's keep it limited to wrestlers who had a significant run in the US.

Shall we have at it?

It's kind of hard to tell what Meltzer means when he says that, though. Like, is he talking about money drawn? Or is he talking simply about recognizable people that are probably in the Hall of Fame? Are we just talking about tippy-top guys like Steve Austin & the Rock, or are we going down and including people like Roddy Piper? Ya know?

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From DVDVR:

Estimate a number for me of how many wrestlers can credibly be described as "one of the biggest wrestlers in the history of the business". Let's keep it limited to wrestlers who had a significant run in the US.

Shall we have at it?

It's kind of hard to tell what Meltzer means when he says that, though. Like, is he talking about money drawn? Or is he talking simply about recognizable people that are probably in the Hall of Fame? Are we just talking about tippy-top guys like Steve Austin & the Rock, or are we going down and including people like Roddy Piper? Ya know?

He was talking spur of the moment late into podcast conducted late night/early morning after covering Raw. So yeah. Dave is fairly considered when making business/historical statements regardless but you need to take context into account.

My belief is that it was Terry Funk.

Nick was a good color guy as well for Deep South in 1987-88. Being the son of Jody Hamilton aka The Assassin should make you a great heel.

Indeed. And his uncle Larry Hamilton was a notable regional star as well in the early '60s.

The context is that the aforementioned big star told Dave that "after what's gone down" (whatever that means), Rock should show up on the day of Wrestlemania and announce that he isn't going to do the job.

I immediatly thought it was Austin myself. Fits his previous history of refusing to job when he thought it wasn't good for his character or wasn't the right time.

They fired Maxine as General Manager which sets up Summer Rae in the role. Leo Kruger and Mike Dalton did a long TV match, which is hard in that gym where nobody reacts. But it was technically a solid match. Neither did anything that stood out but both are better than most here and Dalton has a good look. Kruger looks like everyone else so I guess that’s a look they like. An interesting note in commentary is that Regal said that 80s and 90s South African wrestler Danie Brits was the greatest pro wrestler that he ever saw, which is quite the statement given how many places all over the world that Regal has worked and how long he’s been around the game. The connection is Kruger is a veteran of the South African wrestling scene and Brits helped break him in. Regal talked about what a shame it was Brits never got out of South Africa and he didn’t know why. Regal had worked with him in the 80s.

Any info on Brits?

I tried looking but couldn't find much other then 2 matches on youtube, one from 1990 & one from 2006 neither of which really gives you a good idea of how good he may have been. His wikipedia & a few other mentions I saw elsewhear don't say much other then a giving a short career run down and talking about how he's considered one of the biggest stars of the South African wrestlin sceen.

The context is that the aforementioned big star told Dave that "after what's gone down" (whatever that means), Rock should show up on the day of Wrestlemania and announce that he isn't going to do the job.

I immediatly thought it was Austin myself. Fits his previous history of refusing to job when he thought it wasn't good for his character or wasn't the right time.

He's the Rock for Chrissakes. I agree that the build toward his match w/ Cena has been shit and Rock has been hurt by it, but the day of Wrestlemania isn't the time to take action. If he wanted to show how pissed he was and how he's not going to take it because he's the Rock, he should've went off script during one of the 20-minute battle-poetry segments on Raw, maybe shoving Cena, knocking off his hat or starting some kind of unplanned physical altercation.

What's the worse that could happen? People come out from the back to separate the two and wrestling appears to be at least a little bit spontaneous and unpredictable again and the feud suddenly has more life?

I know it's probably just a silly rumor, but still........

Ring of Honor's next Internet Pay-Per-View starts tomorrow. It's a 2-day show, called "Showdown in the Sun." Factor both of those shows in with Impact Wrestling tonight, WWE Smackdown tomorrow & Wrestlemania on Sunday with RAW on Monday it feels like 1998 all over again. At least in the sheer amount of wrestling available department.

Ring of Honor's next Internet Pay-Per-View starts tomorrow. It's a 2-day show, called "Showdown in the Sun." Factor both of those shows in with Impact Wrestling tonight, WWE Smackdown tomorrow & Wrestlemania on Sunday with RAW on Monday it feels like 1998 all over again. At least in the sheer amount of wrestling available department.

There's also a pair of DGUSA iPPVs. I might get the Friday one since it's only $1.99 and Smackdown is going to be mostly video packages.

ROH iPPV is unwatchable due to production errors & the audio being out of sync by about 20 seconds... for the entire show. A lot of people are already asking for refunds. Not good!

ROH has been trying this shit for years now; why can't they ever learn to get it right?

ROH iPPV is unwatchable due to production errors & the audio being out of sync by about 20 seconds... for the entire show. A lot of people are already asking for refunds. Not good!

ROH has been trying this shit for years now; why can't they ever learn to get it right?

Does this happen close to as often during other GFL shows or just ROH? When I've watched the live free weekly Oklahoma Indy shows they've been perfect, and GFL has a LOT of content now.

I'm not sure. It seems people on Twitter are blaming GFL and ROH themselves released a statement blaming the building being old and not having internet or some shit. Their "solution" was to tell people they could get the episode tomorrow with working video and synced up audio.