Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with DVDVR lately? They've been down more than they've been up. I've never seen so many problems with a website.

Eh, by this point I pretty much exspect a DVDVR outtage atleast once every few weeks/month at most. Usually last a day or so & they're back up so I don't worry much anymore.

Who's A W?

Abraham Washington, was a manager in the WWE

Wrestling in general is fairly tasteless. Some of the best talkers of all time could not succeed in such a controlled, sanitized environment. Yes, it's a little classless, but he's a heel. Then again, maybe WWE was right to get rid of him because everything everyone says on WWE TV is filtered through the voice of one person, and that's something everyone knows. To the public, "AW" didn't say this, "Vince McMahon" or "WWE" said this.

AW, Young and O'Neil had the start of a good act, it's too bad we won't get to see how that would have played out.

I'm interested to see how they write him out

If you can excuse a brief moment of fantasy booking, I'd like the explanation to be that AJ fired him over the weekend, the Prime Time Players are pissed off at her, they find a sympathetic compatriot backstage in Daniel Bryan, and it leads to a loose alliance between them going forward. Bryan could do well with some muscle behind him. Maybe AJ books them in a 6 man tag against Kane/Kofi/Truth.

Wrestling in general is fairly tasteless. Some of the best talkers of all time could not succeed in such a controlled, sanitized environment. Yes, it's a little classless, but he's a heel. Then again, maybe WWE was right to get rid of him because everything everyone says on WWE TV is filtered through the voice of one person, and that's something everyone knows. To the public, "AW" didn't say this, "Vince McMahon" or "WWE" said this.

Well on Around the Horn last week when Israel Gutierrez mentioned it in his face time he never mentioned AW by name but blasted WWE for scripting such a tasteless joke.

There's tons of shit that worked in the past that wouldn't fly today, like sneaky Japanese heels. Society advances. And the degree to which heels in the old days had free rein to offend is overstated. After the Brazilian flag incident, people were saying that Jericho was just being an old-school heel. I can't find the post, but Dave said that any promotion that ran a flag desecration angle in the 70s or 80s would have been thrown off TV.

The real low point of the Slaughter/Iraq angle was when Okerlund "heard from someone backstage" that Sarge burnt an American flag after beating Warrior for the belt in celebration of winning. And I think Slaughter said Vince wanted him to burn it on television, but it was leveled down to Hogan's shirt which was akin to burning the flag (also made for a great visual).

Shawn Michaels humped the Canadian flag in 1997 on a pay-per-view. WWF didn't lose TV.

That was 15 years ago though. Alot of things have changed since then. There's alot of stuff that WWF did on TV back in 1996/97, when they were PG, that wouldn't fly today. When they are PG.

To tie this into AW's comment and how it could be percieved as Vince's/WWE's comment. I used to love how most of Austin, Pillman and Bret's promo's in 96/97 ended with Vince apologizing on commentry.

Back then anything that anyone said or did could be excused as guys getting caught up in the moment as it was live and they were ad-libbing. With WWE stressing the scripted nature of the show over the last decade plus. They've painted themselve's into a corner.

Plus they seem more beholden too things like the wishes of their advertisers and linda's sentate campaign. So they don't want to rock the boat and people who do get thrown under the bus.

The real low point of the Slaughter/Iraq angle was when Okerlund "heard from someone backstage" that Sarge burnt an American flag after beating Warrior for the belt in celebration of winning. And I think Slaughter said Vince wanted him to burn it on television, but it was leveled down to Hogan's shirt which was akin to burning the flag (also made for a great visual).

Not even burnt, defaced.

Obviously you don't want to be offensive. But I do think wrestling companies have a bit of a problem. A good heel naturally pisses people off.