Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the Jarrett/Angle vs LA Park/Electroshock match from Triplemania and it really hit me how after a few years of not seeing him as being overpushed as the top heel of a company can make you appreciate how great a heel he is. I guess it's another thing to add to the list of things Russo fucked up, being able to enjoy Jeff Jarrett without being afraid he's going to be pushed down everyone's throats.

Was watching Cornette's Guestbooker shoot earlier, the one where he rebooks the invasion and I really find his energy and enthusiasm and frustration and anger infectious.

I went through a period of going off him, but he's on absolute fire on this one. His stuff about OVW just makes you wander how the hell WWE runs.

I haven't finished it all the way through yet, but there's a bit where he does week 1 promos for Vince, Bischoff, Flair, Austin and Undertaker and I swear I was actually watching the real thing as if it was happening.

Anyone else seen this?

So Spike made a deal with K-1 to show their events. I guess with this deal, Bellator, and TNA, it seems Spike's goal is to be the premier source for B level combat sports.

I like the move actually. I have no idea if there is anything left of K-1, but it's pretty fresh here and may be worth a try.

Anyone else seen this?

Yeah, I saw it when it came out. What I took away from it was that Jim Cornette is not only way too Southern, and has his favorites/biased towards certain guys, but he's dated & well past the times. Which, coincidentally, has also played out in Ring of Honor.

Having Intercontinental Champion Terry Funk Vs. The Undertaker at Wrestlemania pretty much sums it all up.

So you don't think that his idea of having the WCW guys come out and say they wanted to legit injure the WWF guys would have worked? Is that really "old school"? I mean the angle itself of having Vince want the WCW guys to lay down for his guys takes the death of kayfabe as a given.

I thought that part of his thinking was quite modern. I haven't got beyond his week 1 planning yet though. Might watch the rest tonight.

So you don't think that his idea of having the WCW guys come out and say they wanted to legit injure the WWF guys would have worked? Is that really "old school"? I mean the angle itself of having Vince want the WCW guys to lay down for his guys takes the death of kayfabe as a given.

I think he's out-of-touch & was trying to create something that no WWE fan would have gave a shit about. I don't think the Invasion angle played out well, mind you, but his was somehow worse. Killing kayfabe & playing the "I know all that shit was fake but THIS is real!" is the same exact shit that he blasts Vince Russo for. Granted Cornette didn't have a ton of time to come up with his ideas, but with how fast-paced and last-minute wrestling seems to be nowadays, that's not really a credible excuse to cling to anymore. He's just delusion or incapable of adapting to the times that have changed. Hey, I loved Terry Funk, & Dusty Rhodes & the like too. That doesn't mean you have them wrestling in the year 2001 on one of your big shows, let alone going over younger guys.

I think he's out-of-touch & was trying to create something that no WWE fan would have gave a shit about. I don't think the Invasion angle played out well, mind you, but his was somehow worse. Killing kayfabe & playing the "I know all that shit was fake but THIS is real!" is the same exact shit that he blasts Vince Russo for. Granted Cornette didn't have a ton of time to come up with his ideas, but with how fast-paced and last-minute wrestling seems to be nowadays, that's not really a credible excuse to cling to anymore. He's just delusion or incapable of adapting to the times that have changed. Hey, I loved Terry Funk, & Dusty Rhodes & the like too. That doesn't mean you have them wrestling in the year 2001 on one of your big shows, let alone going over younger guys.

I still haven't seen past week 1 -- ended up watching some AWA instead. So he hasn't mentioned Funk or Dusty yet. I was just entertained by the promos he cut on behalf of Vince and co and by his massive rant preceding that.

I might have a go at rebooking the invasion myself. Hey, it's an old idea, but might be fun to try.

Has Pedro Morales ever been in a good match?

He was considered a great working high flyer (Blassie felt he was even better than Edouard Carpentier) before he got the WWWF Champion gig. He changed his style completely when Vince Sr. brought him in.

I still haven't seen past week 1 -- ended up watching some AWA instead. So he hasn't mentioned Funk or Dusty yet. I was just entertained by the promos he cut on behalf of Vince and co and by his massive rant preceding that..

I like Jim Cornette, he's really charismatic. I can listen to him talk about wrestling all day. Especially when he's going off on people. His re-telling of the Boogeyman character in OVW was great. I just think he's a creative mind that knows so much about wrestling that he would be beneficial, he would just work better in group because he needs a filter creatively.

Has Pedro Morales ever been in a good match?

He was considered a great working high flyer (Blassie felt he was even better than Edouard Carpentier) before he got the WWWF Champion gig. He changed his style completely when Vince Sr. brought him in.

Flair put him over as a great worker.

I still haven't seen past week 1 -- ended up watching some AWA instead. So he hasn't mentioned Funk or Dusty yet. I was just entertained by the promos he cut on behalf of Vince and co and by his massive rant preceding that..

I like Jim Cornette, he's really charismatic. I can listen to him talk about wrestling all day. Especially when he's going off on people. His re-telling of the Boogeyman character in OVW was great. I just think he's a creative mind that knows so much about wrestling that he would be beneficial, he would just work better in group because he needs a filter creatively.

You realize by describing him like that you make him sound like a more personable version of Russo.