Pro Wrestling Only

A thread in which Dylan compares various wrestlers to HHH

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it, 6 pages in. Wow, that was a fun read. El-P vs. Phil Schneider with some entertaining handbags a bit further up.

Anyway,

Sting

Sting is a whole lot better than Helmsley ever was. There are a lot of criticisms you can make of Sting as a worker (cue Vic with the "like?" reply), but in some he brought a real energy to his matches and could deliver in a huge way between the bells. The Vader series alone is better than HHH's entire career in the ring, and those were not Vader carry jobs as a Sting was the perfect foil for him. I'm not in love with the Sting v. Regal matches, but they are matches closer in form to what HHH claims he is as a wrestler than anything HHH has ever done. The Foley brawls are really excellent. Sting was a highspot machine at times for a heavy of his size, but was not really a spotty wrestler. He could sell - particularly fatigue - really well and was very strong at playing the fired up babyface without crossing the line into the World of the super cartoony. He was also really good at getting over both his finishers which is something I am a fan of in wrestling. Even post-crow Sting would surprise you with matches and performances where he was working above what the traditional conception of him was. I will say that HHH was a better opponent for Flair which will sound blasphemous or crazy to a lot of people. But aside from that I can't think of any area where I would give HHH in the edge.

Lex Luger

Luger laps HHH. I always thought HHH would have been thousands of times better if he had aped Luger's 89 character. I doubt he could have or would have done it, but it seems like it would have been a better fit than what we got. Luger was a good wrestler from 87-92 with flashes of greatness in 89 and parts of 88. If you put peak HHH in 89 I don't think he has matches near that quality with Hayes, Rich, Pillman or even Steamboat. Luger was also a better opponent for Flair so there goes that advantage for HHH. Post-prime Luger was also better than post-prime HHH. I wouldn't argue if someone said that HHH had better matches after his prime than Luger did after his, but Luger was a really fun character in 96 and 97 WCW and worked hard more often than not. Those Bret matches a bit later were better than any HHH tv match I have seen in the last ten years. HHH was more successful at parlaying his affair with well known female wrestling personality into major career advancement so there is that.

5533049[/url]']

5533045[/url]' date='Feb 4 2013, 12:58 PM']

5533042[/url]' date='Feb 4 2013, 06:21 AM']I actually think one of HHH's biggest weaknesses is the fact that he really doesn't have a ton of memorable/quality tv matches for a guy that was wrestling week-to-week for as long as he was. It's not that he has none. It's that he has remarkably few, far fewer than any contemporary I can think of offhand.

The only person who came to mind for too many TV matches with little or no quality was Kane. Not saying Kane doesn't have decent TV matches. Saying the ratio isn't good. All the weird creepy Kane fans can let this go or put it in the Kane thread.

It is totally unfair that you can get away with saying things like "weird creepy Kane fans" when everyone thinks I'm breathing fire when I am anything less than a perfect gentleman.

"Oh, that Will, so funny."

"Jeez, why is Loss getting so bent out of shape?"

Who called you out for getting bent out of shape? Why does it matter? I didn't get away with anything because obviously it bothered you enough to comment on it. Nobody even said my comment was funny. If they wanted to address it, they were welcome to take it to the Kane thread where I would simply ignore it because I don't want to discuss Kane. I have Regal, Lawler and AWA matches to discuss!!!

Pretty sad that you hate the board right now because I have heard nothing but high praise on how it has operated the last month. I have had a blast posting here lately.

For what it's worth i think the board is extremely fun these days. Not that i've been on here forever or anything but the past few months have made me addicted to this board whereas before i would post once or twice a month. I can kind of see what Loss is saying though at the same time i dont think Will meant any malice by it.

Cyber bullying at its finest lol. In all seriousness the Ric flair comment shouldnt've blown up the way it did either because at the end of the day that's just your opinion. Maybe people just thought it would be a fun debate and not many people would consider Kane a good debatable guy. I'm just nit picking here though

How does he compare to HHH?

To be honest, I would probably have Kane below HHH but this last run with the Shield PPV six man and his work with Bryan has softened my stance on him. I think I mentioned in the Rumble thread that Kane & Bryan are one step away from having a MOTYC in them. Plus, I don't know if Trips ever had as good of a run as the Unabomber and Al Snow. I would have to think about that.

I wasn't criticizing him. I was criticizing the reaction to him. Me calling the opinion that Bret Hart was better than Ric Flair "stupid" set off a nauseating 17-page thread. Calling Kane fans -- who do exist on this board -- "weird and creepy" doesn't even get a peep.

Dude, you have a Flair avatar. Of course it comes across a tad bit more petty calling anyone stupid for having a low opinion of Flair. You are also one of the BIGGEST Flair fanboys around, especially in this sort of community. Whatever you say carries just a bit more weight as a personal bias than what goodhelmet may say about Kane. Just the way it goes on the internet. For a while, on TSM, I would get derided for defending University of Southern California in their football threads, despite being reasonable about it, simply because I had the USC jersey as my avatar. It just goes with the territory. No need to get overly touchy about it :P

I wasn't criticizing him. I was criticizing the reaction to him. Me calling the opinion that Bret Hart was better than Ric Flair "stupid" set off a nauseating 17-page thread. Calling Kane fans -- who do exist on this board -- "weird and creepy" doesn't even get a peep.

Dude, you have a Flair avatar. Of course it comes across a tad bit more petty calling anyone stupid for having a low opinion of Flair. You are also one of the BIGGEST Flair fanboys around, especially in this sort of community. Whatever you say carries just a bit more weight as a personal bias than what goodhelmet may say about Kane. Just the way it goes on the internet. For a while, on TSM, I would get derided for defending University of Southern California in their football threads, despite being reasonable about it, simply because I had the USC jersey as my avatar. It just goes with the territory. No need to get overly touchy about it :P

Does this make you a fan of horny officials?

I meant no offense, honestly. I think anyone and everyone should feel free to be whoever they want. If you want the avatar (which is actually kickass), go for it. Screw other people.

I know you didn't. I just was tired of hearing about it. Anyway, I think I'm over my little pity party now. Yay PWO!

Does this make you a fan of horny officials?

Yes, Dylan, I am.

In all seriousness I think I put that avatar up shortly after the outrage over Donaghy and the NBA scandal, but after all that replacement ref debacles and Super Bowl refs thing this year, it is topical again :)

Loss without the avatar is depressing. I'd read a really great Loss post and look at Flair in picture with his head up, almost like Flair was saying "I just made a great fucking point". Loss is pretty great at taking words that are in my head that I can't put on paper but actually putting them on paper. Now I won't get to look at Flair with his chin up and be all "yep, I did it again."

Not that I took anything Loss said as offensive to anyone, but I think it was more clear Will was light-hearted calling the Kane fans 'weird' than it was Loss saying Bret > Flair is 'stupid'. Kinda comes down to the whole 'there's no sarcasm text' thing or 'I forgot a smiley'.

On topic of the thread, I think reading through this would be a good indication of how someone could think 1000 workers are better than Helmsley. Dylan thinks Michaels is obviously better than HHH, so you could take all of the wrestlers he listed in the Michaels top 100 thread, add them with these, add the ones he mentioned in passing, he could fill in gaps.....it's believable.