Pro Wrestling Only

Derivative Gimmicks

Kronos

I know there's not a lot of new gimmicks in the world of rasslin, but some stolen gimmicks are more blatant than others.

"The Enforcer" CW Anderson, who runs around doing spinebusters? Stolen gimmick, much?

What else is out there? And is this more common or less of a big deal than I am thinking?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with CW was that it was self aware. It knew what it was doing. It wasn't like everyone using the facepaint after the road warriors. It was a wink wink thing.

and yeah, he was still pretty good as late as 2009.

Corporal Kirchner is someone who I see as more along the lines of what this note would be about.

If we go way back. The Rock N Roll RPMs were derivative of the Rock N Roll Express.

So were the Midnight Rockers. Come to think of it, the R&Rs themselves were derivative of the Fabulous Ones.

On that note, look at all the face-painted tag teams that sprung up in response to the Road Warriors (Demolition, Blade Runners, Powers of Pain).

Going in a completely different direction, Hikari Fukuoka was largely a Manami Toyota clone.

The thing with CW was that it was self aware. It knew what it was doing. It wasn't like everyone using the facepaint after the road warriors. It was a wink wink thing.

and yeah, he was still pretty good as late as 2009.

Thanks for the link to that 2009 match. I quite enjoyed it.

Wouldn't 99% of stolen gimmicks be self-aware? Or are you saying that he did it as a joke on Arn? Everything he borrowed, including calling himself The Enforcer, was a tease?

Going in a completely different direction, Hikari Fukuoka was largely a Manami Toyota clone.

At first, yes. Then she invented the moonsault footstomp and became the coolest wrestler ever.

Inoki > Fujinami > Nishimura

> Yuki Ishikawa

Genichiru Tenryu > Toshiaki Kawada

Dynamite Kid > Jushin Liger

> Chris Benoit > Davey Richards

Superstar Graham > Jesse Ventura > Hulk Hogan

Barry Windham > Dustin Rhodes

Jerry Lawler > Eddie Gilbert

At first, yes. Then she invented the moonsault footstomp and became the coolest wrestler ever.

On that note, Chigusa > Toshiyo Yamada & Momoe Nakanishi > Natsuki*Taiyo

CW Anderson, at least in MLW, has been one of my least favourite wrestlers ever. He stole the 'throat-slash' hand sign as well and Joey Styles talked how CW and Simon Diamond reminded him big time of Anderson and Blanchard. Ugh. Did he really expect to amount to anything doing that?

Imagine you are C.W. Anderson and you look like that. What other gimmick are you going to get that won't result in you being a jobber, or a masked guy with a very short shelf life?

Guest Slickster

CW Anderson, at least in MLW, has been one of my least favourite wrestlers ever. He stole the 'throat-slash' hand sign as well and Joey Styles talked how CW and Simon Diamond reminded him big time of Anderson and Blanchard. Ugh. Did he really expect to amount to anything doing that?

Imagine you are C.W. Anderson and you look like that. What other gimmick are you going to get that won't result in you being a jobber, or a masked guy with a very short shelf life?

I wonder if CW and Arn Anderson met each other, given they both worked for WWE in 2006.

BLATANTLY copying Arn Anderson (or any other wrestler) isn't something I would have done. It's nice that he's a living tribute or something and obviously likes Arn a lot, but I don't see any reason to basically try to be him. Almost screams to me, 'I suck, I'll be THIS guy instead.' I've got limited vision on CW so I'm not trying to say he "sucks," but if I want to watch someone do "Arn Anderson," I'll watch Arn himself before a meh imitaion.

Eh, Arn himself was just copying the other Anderson's before him and only got the gimmick because someone thought he looked similar to Ole who also only got the gimmick because someone thought he looked similar enough to Lars & Gene to fit in with them with Gene being the only Anderson who actually was legit named that.

CW being an 'Anderson' isn't exactly something I'm against (was it even his idea?), but he looked more like he was copying Arn Anderson. Calling himself 'the Enforcer', using the spinebuster, the throat-slash, having similar way of eating punches....yeah. I'd rather he be an Anderson family member who wasn't THAT inspried by someone else to the point of mimic.

I wonder if CW and Arn Anderson met each other, given they both worked for WWE in 2006.

CW mentioned Arn worked out with him a few times in the ring. CW was given the Anderson name by Gene Anderson himself.

It was originally sort of parody in ECW though. He was there with Lou E Dangerously as the New Dangerous Alliance. It was more tongue in cheek than the New Fabulous Ones which were meant to be a draw. Granted, he might have been using the gimmick before that, I don't know.

Also, I was watching the youtube Memphis Rockers stuff and how did no one ever tell me the Nasty Boys started off with facepaint. In the pantheon of Hawk and Animal take offs, they are less the Road Warrior and more The Warriors.