Pro Wrestling Only

Hulk Hogan's best matches

Loss

I was mainly talking about his selling. There's also a transition between blue-trunks nutter Hogan and the more cuddly red and yellow Hogan. Like in 1987, he's still pretty fucking nuts and his look wasn't as homogenised:

From what Johnny's said though I need to see more 84-5 Hogan. I bought Brickhithouse's WWF set, so will dig into it at some point. My impression from AWA though is that Hogan didn't sell nearly as much there as he did in the late 80s and he also just ate opponents up in a way he didn't in WWF. That could also be typical face-on-top-AWA-match structure coming into play too though. Whatever the case, I don't agree that Hogan's offense was better than his selling for the majority of his career.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I just went back and took a look at my write ups of the Hogan matches through the 1985/86 Hogan-Savage feud that I'd taken the time to walk through. 10 or so matches, against the likes of Orndorff (first feud), Savage, Schultz, Muraco, Iron Sheik. I don't see much rips on it for Hogan's selling. As someone pointed out earlier, he was a willing bleeder. I noted in serveral times of the early matches that he hadn't perfected the Hulk Up, and instead worked several of them to lead to cut offs before finally fully coming back. Didn't drop any lines of him being too dominant either.

I'd add that I wasn't much of a Hogan Fan before re-watching his matches as part of the thread. I was open to being critical of him, and instead the opposite happened: I found him to be an effective worker.

John

I ended up really liking Hogan on re-watch. He had a lot of energy, was fun on promos and in the ring, and seemed like he was enjoying himself thru 1986 at least. Late in '87 or early '88, something changed. His matches became more paint-by-numbers, his promos started venturing into slight Warrior territory, and it did not seem like he enjoyed what he was doing. Maybe a conscious change in the character, or real burnout setting in?

As a whole, starting in Spring 1988 the entire WWF roster seemed totally burned out, with few exceptions.

Yeah bumping and selling are two horses of different colors. It is mutually inclusive proposition to be good at both. Hogan is a far better seller than he is a bumper, but his bumping is the drizzling shits. I have watched a lot of Hogan, but not a lot of recently, but when I was watching Harley it seemed to trigger memories of Hogan's very discrete selling. I prefer people that have a continuum of selling levels and modulate it for the point of the match or story. Hogan is either at 100% ready to kick ass or as soon as he gets punched to setup control, he is gasping for air whether it is a minute into the match or 10 minutes (well it is not like he was going 30 so on the relative scale that was his 20 minute mark). You would think almost by default then I would prefer Hogan's offense, but I think the fucker actually has a pretty good right hand and seeing the big lug get all worked up is still wicked fun. He busted the out the atomic drop, vertical suplex and his follow-up clothesline and they all look pretty good. He sometimes overdoes the babyface cheating to point where your scratching your head, but it was the 80s, baby!

These are only recent conclusions and I dont find myself particularly tethered to them mostly because it is Hulk Hogan and I don't give too many fucks about him. I will re-evaluate as I watch more, but I standby that his offense looks good and I like long babyface shines so the fact he wrestles on top for a long time doesn't bother me especially since most of the heels he wrestled sucked.

jdw, what do you mean that he had not perfected the Hulk-Up? I much prefer when the Hulk-Up leads to a cut-off before he ultimately polishes off his challenger. It adds dynamics and wrinkles to his matches. Were you being facetious? That is Misawa-level shit, baby! :D

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Dr. D - Massacre in Minneapolis 6/17/84

Hulk Hogan is returning to the Twin Cities with the REAL belt, brutha! I have not seen Dr. D before and I thought he was pretty mediocre. Dr. D takes over right away and there is Hogan's death selling right away. Schultz pulverizes Hogan with a chair and the blood flows. See Hogan could have made this selling look better by gradually building to the climax of bleeding. I will say once he is hit with the chair his selling looks as it should and is very well-done. Schultz hits his big move: second-rope elbow. HULK-UP~! Hogan hits him with a standing elbow and leg drop, but picks him up on each fall. I don't think I have ever seen a wrestler win after doing that. Hulk Hogan is above Wrestling Laws. The selling has been completely turned off as he begs for Schultz to get up after he rammed into the post. Schultz is able to clothesline him coming out of the corner and oversell is kicked back on. Schultz misses the big elbow and Hogan with a clothesline to win.

Dr. D was pretty underwhelming. This was a pretty passe Hogan match, but illustrates Hogan's two levels of selling: off/on, when most wrestlers have many more.

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Dr. D - Massacre in Minneapolis 6/17/84

Hulk Hogan is returning to the Twin Cities with the REAL belt, brutha! I have not seen Dr. D before and I thought he was pretty mediocre. Dr. D takes over right away and there is Hogan's death selling right away. Schultz pulverizes Hogan with a chair and the blood flows. See Hogan could have made this selling look better by gradually building to the climax of bleeding. I will say once he is hit with the chair his selling looks as it should and is very well-done. Schultz hits his big move: second-rope elbow. HULK-UP~! Hogan hits him with a standing elbow and leg drop, but picks him up on each fall. I don't think I have ever seen a wrestler win after doing that. Hulk Hogan is above Wrestling Laws. The selling has been completely turned off as he begs for Schultz to get up after he rammed into the post. Schultz is able to clothesline him coming out of the corner and oversell is kicked back on. Schultz misses the big elbow and Hogan with a clothesline to win.

Dr. D was pretty underwhelming. This was a pretty passe Hogan match, but illustrates Hogan's two levels of selling: off/on, when most wrestlers have many more.

Maybe it's not as bad as I remember, but I have this vivid memory from this match (when it finished #94 on the WWF DVDVR set) where Schulz absolutely kills himself on that missed big elbow with a dive that just looks painful.

I ended up really liking Hogan on re-watch. He had a lot of energy, was fun on promos and in the ring, and seemed like he was enjoying himself thru 1986 at least. Late in '87 or early '88, something changed. His matches became more paint-by-numbers, his promos started venturing into slight Warrior territory, and it did not seem like he enjoyed what he was doing. Maybe a conscious change in the character, or real burnout setting in?

As a whole, starting in Spring 1988 the entire WWF roster seemed totally burned out, with few exceptions.

Yeah, Hogan was really fun and seemed to try pretty hard from 84 through 87. After the Harley feud he just coasted from there. Besides the Bossman matches, you'll be hard pressed to find too many Hulk matches from '88 and '89 that are worth a watch.

jdw, what do you mean that he had not perfected the Hulk-Up? I much prefer when the Hulk-Up leads to a cut-off before he ultimately polishes off his challenger. It adds dynamics and wrinkles to his matches. Were you being facetious? That is Misawa-level shit, baby! :D

I think it's more along the lines that later when Hulk "perfected" the Hulk-Up that it was a very clear one, coming back, and the heel was going down. The times when the heel didn't go down, it's because we got a DQ or COR or screw job that was part of the Hulk-Up run to the finish.

In turn, it felt he turned his faux-comeback + cut off spots into a comeback that wasn't as theatrical as the Hulk-Up, that he saved those elements for the big one, and added in things like the finger wag.

In the earlier matches, the comebacks felt more similar between cut off and final one, and the final one not quite as theatrical as he became later in the classic Hulk-Up.

As far as which is better? I like fake comebacks getting cut off. But I also think the Hulk-Up evolved into something the fans ate up. Terry (and possible Pat helping him) found a structure that worked, and ran with it. Simple, but pretty effective.

John

Ok, that makes more sense in a context of mass appeal, but I know prefer elongated comeback. My all-time least favorite Hulk-Up is the one at Wrestlemania V because it is just so short and doesnt really do that angle justice. Then again I am still so terribly disappointed by that match given that the Mega Powers Explosion angle is my favorite WWF angle from any era.

I watched Hogan's first two SNME matches against Orton (5/85) and Volkoff (10/85) neither one was worth writing home about so I am not going to dwell on either one, but will point that in both matches he does a faux-Hulk Up before the finish. Could his switch to one final Hulk-Up also be due to laziness?

The Volkoff match was lame, but short. Volkoff has some really boring offense save for one really nice backbreaker. Hogan did his best to impart his energy to the match, but Volkoff was a blackhole.

The Orton was more fun, but still nothing terribly exciting until the superplex tease, which got the fans on their feet. Hogan's arm work was decent before Orton took over with a dropkick/flying knees (didnt get full extension). This match didn't have the zaniness of the Funk match or Race's bump-o-rama. Hogan seems to always hold up his share, but it takes two tango. This match is a great example why people like Terry Funk and Harley Race are all-timers and Orton is a nice mid-card act.

I watched Hogan's first two SNME matches against Orton (5/85) and Volkoff (10/85) neither one was worth writing home about so I am not going to dwell on either one, but will point that in both matches he does a faux-Hulk Up before the finish. Could his switch to one final Hulk-Up also be due to laziness?

Doubt it. Suspect he (and people with input in the matches) saw it as more effective.

I don't want to say that he didn't work "comeback attempts + cutoff" after a certain point. But the pure Hulk-Up... that became a bit clearer defined in house shows as time passed (as opposed to PPV matches that went 15-20, which was quite a bit longer than he worked house shows in the PPV era). When Hulk started shaking in a certain way, started looking around, wagged the finger... you knew that he was Hulking-Up and it was a run to the finish. Other comeback attempts didn't have the same characteristics, and I suspect if you waft through two dozen in that era, you can call "cutoff" early in them since they're clear not The Hulk-Up. :)

John

• 7 months later...

Off the top of my head:

Personal Favorite - Hogan Vs. Greg Valentine from Philly August 4th, 1984

Just about every matchup between Hogan and Savage from 1989 (WM 5, London, Paris, Toronto, Boston, MSG, Fresno)

Hogan-Flair at MSG in '91 (both matches) and Bash at the Beach '94

Hogan-Race from NYC and Boston in 1987.

Hogan-Big Bossman '88-'89. (Boston, MSG, Philly, Des Moines, L.A.)

• 8 months later...

Should I track down the Philly Valentine match? Is it substantially different from the MSG match?

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs George "The Animal" Steele w/Mr. Fuji - St. Louis 8/10/84

The swooning was in full effect here from Vinny Mac: "Never has 300 lbs looked so good" and "He not only has to worry about his title, but the possible demise of his physique". Yes, Hogan's life is not worth living if he were to lose his physique. O, Vince! I liked how in 1984 when they invaded St. Louis they tried to run an angle for Hogan much like the three defense rule in MSG. It was a strong strategy to cement this new foothold deep in NWA territory and prove to the St. Louis audience that WWF promotion was treating the city on the level of NYC, Philly or Boston. They ran a strong Studd program early on and then Orndorff and have now moved to George Steele. I have never seen Steele as a heel so this piqued my interest. He is a very campy, horror film-esque character. I like cheeze as much as any wrestling fan, but the beginning was even too corny for me. However, once Steele took over with rakes to the eye the match was pretty decent actually. Steele was the consummate, vicious lunatic. He went after the eyes and choked Hogan. He played hide the foreign object from the ref, which he used to stab Hogan in the eye or throat. It was pretty effective heel work. Hulk-Up. I like the idea of left-hand backfist from Hogan, but the execution is not always there. Hogan goes for the Atomic Leg Drop, but Fuji trips him. Fuji takes his sweet fuckin time to get to the apron and throw salt into his eyes. Hogan reels from this and falls out the ring to lose by countout to set up the rematch. Weirdly, Hogan never seemed to get his win over Steele, but instead over Fuji. After the salt throw, the real heat was on Fuji as St. Louis crowd littered the ring with garbage. Hogan was fuckin over and including with the old timers who I am sure saw Thesz and O' Connor in their prime. It was a fun Hogan by the numbers match and Steele was a solid vicious heel.

Should I track down the Philly Valentine match? Is it substantially different from the MSG match?

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs George "The Animal" Steele w/Mr. Fuji - St. Louis 8/10/84

The swooning was in full effect here from Vinny Mac: "Never has 300 lbs looked so good" and "He not only has to worry about his title, but the possible demise of his physique". Yes, Hogan's life is not worth living if he were to lose his physique. O, Vince! I liked how in 1984 when they invaded St. Louis they tried to run an angle for Hogan much like the three defense rule in MSG. It was a strong strategy to cement this new foothold deep in NWA territory and prove to the St. Louis audience that WWF promotion was treating the city on the level of NYC, Philly or Boston. They ran a strong Studd program early on and then Orndorff and have now moved to George Steele. I have never seen Steele as a heel so this piqued my interest. He is a very campy, horror film-esque character. I like cheeze as much as any wrestling fan, but the beginning was even too corny for me. However, once Steele took over with rakes to the eye the match was pretty decent actually. Steele was the consummate, vicious lunatic. He went after the eyes and choked Hogan. He played hide the foreign object from the ref, which he used to stab Hogan in the eye or throat. It was pretty effective heel work. Hulk-Up. I like the idea of left-hand backfist from Hogan, but the execution is not always there. Hogan goes for the Atomic Leg Drop, but Fuji trips him. Fuji takes his sweet fuckin time to get to the apron and throw salt into his eyes. Hogan reels from this and falls out the ring to lose by countout to set up the rematch. Weirdly, Hogan never seemed to get his win over Steele, but instead over Fuji. After the salt throw, the real heat was on Fuji as St. Louis crowd littered the ring with garbage. Hogan was fuckin over and including with the old timers who I am sure saw Thesz and O' Connor in their prime. It was a fun Hogan by the numbers match and Steele was a solid vicious heel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd w/ Bobby The Brain Heenan - MSG 9/22/84

The debut of Bobby the Brain and thus the beginning of the feud that would carry the WWF through Wrestlemania IV Hogan versus Heenan's charges. This match reeks of AWA as Okerlund is on commentary and you have old foes Hogan and Heenan squaring off. Studd is a deceptively big guy. Everytime, I look at him, he does not look that big, but he is considerably larger than Hogan. I think it is because he is so well-proportioned. He just looks normal, but then when he locking up Hogan you realize how big he is. This is the worst Hogan match so far from '84 and it has nothing to do with Hogan. Studd is a terribly boring worker. The Bodyslam Challenge gimmick is a really good hook and is the only thing that makes his matches interesting. Hogan was trying his damndest with a terrific back elbow at the beginning, juicing and a hot lariat towards the end. Studd was content to just lock on the bearhug. I liked the transition of Hogan going for the bodyslam costing him and Studd bodyslamming Hogan. That really put over the gimmick and how much of a threat Studd was. The King of the Mountain stuff was boring and Hogan blading seemed forced just because Studd was kicking him. Meh. Hogan goes for the bodyslam after the Hulk-Up and the crowd is pumped. Studd is able to get tangled in the ropes. Hogan attempts on the outside. Studd rams him into the apron and Heenan pushes Studd in to get the countout victory. Studd and Heenan have the audacity to walk out with the title to set up the rematch. It was supposed to be Ventura in this spot, which probably would not have increase the match quality, but those would have been so great character work. The Studd/Heenan pairing makes sense and I can see why they would draw as a top heel act against Hogan and then against Andre even if I find Studd to be one of the most boring workers ever. You can blame this match on Hogan. Everything he is doing is just dripping with effort. Hulkamania is running wild!

Putting it watch later list (probably will watch in 10 years :) )

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd w/ Bobby the Brain - Meadowlands 12/10/84

Best Big John Stud Match Ever! EVAH~! Ok, so that is not exactly high praise, but I am still pretty sure it is a true statement. My favorite part of the MSG match was the bodyslam psychology and it is like my comments traveled through electromagnetic cosmic worm hole to the ears of Big John Studd, who said to Hogan lets have an entire match worked around bodyslamming each other to please this 25 year old kid 30 years in the future. Hogan said Brutha, that's all well and good, but how are going to pay it off if the 24 inch pythons can not run wild on you because the Vin Man says Andre is going to slam you. I'll take care of it, Hulkster. I truly believe that's how the magic of this three star match was born.

Capetta is still in WWF at this point and Fink is on commentary??!?!?!?!? I loved the psychology of this match. It was one giant macho pissing contest. Who could slam the other first? All these early spots were really energetic with great cutoffs and building tension to what I thought would be an anti-climax since the Big Slam moment was being saved for Andre. Hogan was so obsessed with this that eventually Studd was able to draw him outside and crack his head against the table. Studd stayed away from the bearhug and worked a solid King of the Mountain. Then he picked up Hogan like a sack of potatoes and slammed him. *GASP* It was pretty lame that Studd did not follow up this big moment and I thought they were going to lose men. When all of sudden, they end up on the outside and HULK UP-> BODYSLAM ON THE OUTSIDE!!! WHAT THE FUCK!!?!?! BATSHIT INSANITY!!!! Crowd goes bezerk and I lose it in 2014. However, since it did not happen inside the ring, he does not win the money and the slam challenge continues. BRILLIANT! I was planning to be disappointed because all that great bodyslam psychology was not going to get the proper climax and then BOOM Hogan slams him! Somebody needs to crib this Studd Slam Challenge gimmick as it is such a great hook for the matches. Then to top it all off Hogan picks up the most hated ref in history, Dick Whirrly, into a military press. That's almost worth an extra 1/2*, but alas he didn't slam him to pay that off. The match is about as basic as you can get but Hogan has so much energy and the build to the payoff and the payoff are excellent. ***

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs Iron Shiek - Philly 6/84

Hogan excels in these type of extreme cartoony matches even if they are not my favorite type of match. You can't get more of a great cartoon villain in pro wrestling than mustachioed Iron Shiek with the loaded boot. Sheiky Baby informs us that of course Iran is Number 1! I like the Flock of Seagulls too, Shiek! Hogan comes out guns blazing and does not even let Shiek take off his attire instead Hogan chokes him with it. Hogan just kicks his ass sending him into the post, raking his body with his finger nails even gnawing at him. Hogan was always good for throwing it back in the heel's face. Hogan sets too early for a back body drop and in a counter I have never seen Shiek rakes his eyes. That's commitment to his heel character. Shiek wrestles a great heel heat section throwing Hogan into railings and tables, choking with the cables and his hands. He hits his great gutwrench suplex. Then with no Hulk Up. Hogan hits a clothesline and leg drop for the win. I have been liking the non-formulaic nature of the finish stretch, but that was too anticlimatic. Hulk Hogan is apparently still FABULOUS~! and has not transitioned to Immortal yet per the ring announcer. Shiek attacks him with the boot making me think I did not see the finale, but Hogan chases him off. No one will confuse this with excellently violent Shiek/Slaughter series, but still a fun, popcorn match.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs "Dr. D" David Schultz - Minny 6/84

McMahon invades the AWA Capital cites, The Twin Cities, with former AWA Ace, Hulk Hogan in the vanguard. Akin to Price Eugene of Savoy leading the armies of the Grand Alliance against The Sun King and his native France (Eugene was born and raised in the court of Louis XIV), Hogan is the main draw for the WWF to gain a foothold in AWA territory. He is running against an overlooked figure in pro wrestling, David Schultz. Schultz is more famous for his incident with 20/20 reporter, John Stossel, as he tried to protect the integrity of the business, but to many crossed the line in getting physical. I don't know all the details so I am not weighing in, but this did cause him to get blackballed. I had always known of Schultz for this, but thought he was a lower-tier wrestler. In actuality, he was one of the most frequent Hogan opponents of 1984 and a member of Roddy Piper's gang with Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff. Schultz from his most famous TV vignette is portrayed as a mean, nasty redneck. He comes off as one of more real Hogan opponents and I would say the one with widest mean streak. Orndorff is cocky and Piper is crazy, but Schultz was a mean-spirited individual. Can I say "mean" anymore?

The match is the inverse of the Shiek match. Instead of the vast majority of the match, Hogan doing the ass kicking in this match Schultz jumps Hogan and chokes him with his bandana. Schultz grabs a chair on the outside and bust him out. The blood definitely helps this match a lot. Schultz hits his big second rope elbow, but parades around for too long. HULK UP! Hogan picks him up at 2 after an elbow to dish out more punishment. Hogan drops the leg. 1-2-Hogan picks him up. HAVE MERCY! Schultz actually turns the tide, but misses a top rope elbow and Hogan hits a big clothesline for the 3. I think if Schultz combined his mean streak with the physicality of a Valentine they may have had something special, but this was not much at all. Schultz attacks him after and tries get away with the belt, but Hogan rakes his eyes and gets his belt back. I liked elements of this match, but there was not enough struggle for me in this match.

• 4 weeks later...

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs. "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff - Philly 7/7/84

Hulk Hogan in 1984 is the living embodiment of energy. He is running wild and unbridled. Orndorff is someone I always liked, but never thought he was a real upper tier worker. He is a good at heat seeking taunts and character work, but his work leaves a lot to be desired. He is no Valentine or Orton, but he gets more heat because of the "Paula" chants. The opening is a well-worked clowning segment with Hogan attacking Orndorff while he was in the robe jawing with the crowd. Orndorff sells the atomic drop like Rude and is generally amusing. What makes him better than a Studd or Steele is that he can bump and stooge better. An eye rake gives him the advantage and throws the "Hulker" (Dick Graham) into railing and hits him with a chair drawing blood. Hogan in 1984 was not afraid to wear the Crimson Mask. I like how there were two attempts at the comebacks before the final one. It is more fun than just one Hulk-Up that we would get later. Orndorff is content to stomp, elbow and eye rake. Hogan's follow up back elbow in the corner is so awesome. I loved that he bit Orndorff and did a front rake throwing it right back in his face. Oh yeah, the back fist and punch combo. Clothesline and Atomic Legdrop finish him. 1984 Hulk Hogan is just so much fun and he did not disappoint in this match. I would say Orndorff was a middling opponent for the Hulkster.

• 6 months later...
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff - MLG 4/21/85

The Maple Leaf Gardens is rocking for the Hulkster baby! Running wild and unbridled! Orndorff is overwhelmed early by the Hulkster. I love the force of things like Hogan's shoulderblock. Hogan is just so good at entertaining with his mannerisms while the heel cowers in the corner or takes a breather on the outside. That seemed to be Wonderful's strategy early to powder and break the Hulkster's rhythm. Orndorff took over with some knee lifts and repeated elbows to back of teh head. He throws into the guardrail, but overall this is a pretty pedesterian beatdown with the knee drops being the climax. Hogan wakes everyone up by repeatedly ramming Orndorff's head into the turnbuckle. Hogan is irresistible, but wait Orndorff cuts off the Hulk Up. He heads up top and cross-body, which Hogan rolls through and scores the pin. Wow! Not the most decisive Hulk Hogan finish and at first I smelt a rematch, but I was unsure because I thought Mr. Wonderful turned babyface around this time. There it was he extends the olive branch and Hogan shakes his hand. Now that Orndorff is going to be a good guy he gets a closer finish to put him over as someone more special, which is smart booking. Nothing special, one of the more ho-hum Hogan matches for the time period, only interesting thing was seeing Hogan and his massive frame roll through a cross-body into an ugly, ugly pin that had both Gorrilla and Jesse wondering if he truly got the pin.

5 pages in and no love for the Hogan vs Great Muta match in 1993? Certainly one of my favourites from bell to bell in terms of action. Sadly, it's been pigeon holed a lot as "just" the match where Hulkster hits an enzuigiri.

This is one of my favourite matches featuring Hulk. I remember the match airing on Eurosport and Hogan had the WWF title with him alough one good classic match I did like was from 2003 I believe when he did a 20 minute match against Chono. I cant remember the date but I think it was called something like Orange Clash wasent it?

• 1 year later...

Off the top of my head:Personal Favorite - Hogan Vs. Greg Valentine from Philly August 4th, 1984Just about every matchup between Hogan and Savage from 1989 (WM 5, London, Paris, Toronto, Boston, MSG, Fresno)Hogan-Flair at MSG in '91 (both matches) and Bash at the Beach '94Hogan-Race from NYC and Boston in 1987.Hogan-Big Bossman '88-'89. (Boston, MSG, Philly, Des Moines, L.A.)

All of those are good-great matches. I also enjoy his stuff against Savage from 1985-1986, vs Hansen in 4/90, vs Muta 5/93, and many others I can't think of at the moment. But the ones you listed are some of my favorites for sure.