Pro Wrestling Only

1990 hype!

Loss

1990 CMLL is fucking outstanding, yeah. I haven't watched any of it in about 4 years, but I've been waiting for this yearbook to drop so I can go back and watch it all again. All of the USWA stuff sounds tremendous as well, and I've more or less seen none of it. Zero.

I might try and get through at least a fraction of the unwatched stuff I already have here before buying this, so I don't know if it'll be a first day purchase (although I'll wait until I see the final list first), but it'll be in my hands eventually.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any of the Arn Anderson vs Terry Taylor TV title series from Pro on it?

The more Pro the better, I could listen to the announce team of Lance Russell with Michael Hayes and Jim Garvin all day.

Unfortunately we only have the last 8 weeks of the year of that version of Pro (plus the first 2 weeks of 1991). The set that's floating around is made up of the WPIX NY and WGN Chicago localized versions with different commentary. For whatever reason, the Lance & Freebirds stuff is VERY hard to find.

Unfortunately we only have the last 8 weeks of the year of that version of Pro (plus the first 2 weeks of 1991). The set that's floating around is made up of the WPIX NY and WGN Chicago localized versions with different commentary. For whatever reason, the Lance & Freebirds stuff is VERY hard to find.

Now I hear that I regret my father taping over Pro every week with the new one when they were shown on network TV in the UK at 2am or so back then. Fantastic commentary team.

Pretty sure we got Worldwide or World Championship Wrestling rather than Pro. I used to tape them on the same tape every week too, in a double header on LP with Prisoner Cell Block H!!

Distinctly remember Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura being the hosts, so it wouldn't have been Pro. UNLESS they showed Pro in 91, and switched to one of the others in 92. Wouldn't put it past ITV, they were always cocking around with that slot - it would be 2am one week, 4am the next week. Then around late 93/ early 94 it switched to something like Sunday afternoon without warning.

Worldwide was on Saturday Afternoons from about 1992 until late 1995 for the majority of the ITV network with heavy editing unless you were in the Granada region and another couple of regions which received Worldwide in the early hours on a Wednesday or Thursday before American Gladiators under the name of Superstars of Wrestling in advertising. And prior to that a lot of the network shown Pro (which annoyingly wasn't at the same pace as Power Hour on satellite). Central also showed Dusty Rhodes' Florida project with DDP murdering commentary, Jackie Pallo's WAW, and some old Crockett tapes. Other regions showed the Australian WWF Wrestling Challenge.

Until 1991 or so there was wrestling everywhere, especially if you had a satellite dish. The ladies channel Lifestyle was showing 1982 WCCW tapes for one.

I was in South Wales and yeah, American Gladiators was on after it and Prisoner Cell Block H before it. Thursday in the wee hours. Then, like I said, it switched to Saturday or Sunday afternoon around early 94.

I don't think I ever saw any pro but I started watching around late 91 because Rude had just debuted. Remember it very well, the Dangerous Alliance just seemed like the coolest guys on earth to me at that age, especially remember when they all came in their tuxedos. My folks never had a satellite dish so no old WCCW for me.

One of the things I'm looking forward to with these Yearbook sets is seeing how much WCW TV changes over the Herd era into 91 and then into Frey, Watts, and early Bischoff.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing a lot of the big-time Japanese stuff I've never seen. My exposure to date is literally just the 80s All Japan DVDR set.

Fuck the WCW talk... I want to hear you Euro dudes talk about watching World of Sport or discovering some Reslo or French wrestling on some random channel.

I can't remember what's year it was, but if you do a Euro set, the Kendo Nagasaki unmasking is a complete must, one of my favourite bits of British wrestling. We have been spoilt here in the UK with having WOS returned for so long, imagine of in the if Crocketts TV was re-aired in the Mid Atlantic area for 3 hours a day. It's great getting home from work and finding another Royals brothers tag match on TV.

Fuck the WCW talk... I want to hear you Euro dudes talk about watching World of Sport or discovering some Reslo or French wrestling on some random channel.

I can't remember what's year it was, but if you do a Euro set, the Kendo Nagasaki unmasking is a complete must, one of my favourite bits of British wrestling. We have been spoilt here in the UK with having WOS returned for so long, imagine of in the if Crocketts TV was re-aired in the Mid Atlantic area for 3 hours a day. It's great getting home from work and finding another Royals brothers tag match on TV.

For those that haven't seen it, here you go....

Being Welsh I got more than my fill of Reslo (watching Kung Fu spend ten minutes massaging Mick [Or "Mic" in Welsh] McManus' balls with his feet for 10 minutes under the auspices of "comedy"), but in 1990 or so some promotion from France or somewhere started up on Satellite with Tony St. Clair, Danny Boy Collins and the like emanating from France. The champion was Flesh Gorden, and even as a 6 year old I knew he was booking the fucker.

Being Welsh I got more than my fill of Reslo (watching Kung Fu spend ten minutes massaging Mick [Or "Mic" in Welsh] McManus' balls with his feet for 10 minutes under the auspices of "comedy"), but in 1990 or so some promotion from France or somewhere started up on Satellite with Tony St. Clair, Danny Boy Collins and the like emanating from France. The champion was Flesh Gorden, and even as a 6 year old I knew he was booking the fucker.

Did you mean fucking the booker?

WILD THING!

Hey homeboy!

Gather around!

Some serious stuff

Is gonna go down

Wrestle War '90

The kings of the ring

All come together

And do the wild thing

Lex Luger, the Steiners, Nature Boy, Sting

They all be doing that

Wild thing (WHOO!)

Yeah, they'll all be there

With something to prove

Brimming with intentions

To bust a move!

It's pay-per-view excitement

From T.H.E.

For more information

Call your cable company

(WHILE-WHILE-WHILE-WHILE-WILD THING!)

Hey homeboy!

Gather around

Wrestle War '90

Is about to go down

Ric Flair

The Champ!

Testiment to biology

Meets Sting

The Dream

Of entymology

Lex Luger

The belt!

His holy grail quest

Is scheduled for an operation

On Dr. Death

Road Warriors

Survivors!

From a place time forgot

Plan to reduce Skyscrapers

To parking lots

The Steiners

They're brothers!

They wrestle as one

But they do not scare

The brothers Anderson

Wrestle War '90

A "Wild Thing" you see

Available through

Your cable company

Pay-per-view

Excitement

From T.H.E.

Going down the 25th

Of February

WILD THING

WILD THING

WILD THING

WUH-WUH-WUH-WUH-WILD THING

I hope to eventually do a PDF that's a definitive guide to 1990s pro wrestling (or something else ridiculously grandiose) and will keep that in mind. It would ostensibly also be a guide to watching all of the yearbooks. Anyway, I think that is likely a better platform for multi-media ideas than a DVD, but either way, it will make a nice companion.

• 4 weeks later...