Pro Wrestling Only

1990 hype!

Loss

This started as the year I was least interested in exploring from the decade. However, now I'm confident this will be the best yearbook yet, and definitely the one with the most hidden gems.

What is the connection between Connie Chung and Tod Gordon? What about between the Ultimate Warrior and Phil Collins? Between Kerry Von Erich and Perestroika? Who wins when WCW and GLOW face off on Family Feud? What happens when WWF wrestlers hit late night TV? How do Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin celebrate Mothers Day? Who would say such mean things about Ox Baker? Owen Hart in Europe? Rip Rogers in the Maritimes? What collective considers themselves, quite simply, dynamite? WCW has more advanced production than Madonna concerts? Gary Young wants to destroy your eyeglasses? Jerry Lawler works a fake shoot with a guy who was later accused of pawning the USWA belt for crack? Steve Austin collaborated with a mortician in drag? Sean Waltman would like to sell you hair? Who exactly will "all be doing that ... Wild Thing"? A teenage girl got TV time for that? You mean the Freebirds aren't huge rock stars? Shoes for your feet and pockets for your stuff ... Why, that sounds too good to be true!

Soon, it will all make sense.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot wait. I decided I wanted to buy all of the yearbooks in sequential order so I've been waiting for the 1990 yearbook to come out for some time as my first foray into this, and the Memphis stuff that you've described alone makes me really want this. The minute it's released, I will be ordering my copy!

I'm currently watching the complete 1990 WWF season, strictly for nostalgia purposes. It was far from a great year for WWF, but there's plenty of under-the-radar type of stuff that I imagine will make the WWF's showing on the 1990 yearbook turn out just fine and even raise a few eyebrows.

The most depressing part of 1990 WWF, however, is seeing an extremely obese Buddy Rose jobbed out and mocked and ridiculed by Vince on commentary.

I'm currently watching the complete 1990 WWF season, strictly for nostalgia purposes. It was far from a great year for WWF, but there's plenty of under-the-radar type of stuff that I imagine will make the WWF's showing on the 1990 yearbook turn out just fine and even raise a few eyebrows.

The most depressing part of 1990 WWF, however, is seeing an extremely obese Buddy Rose jobbed out and mocked and ridiculed by Vince on commentary.

How does polka dot Dusty hold up?

For 1990, the WWF is the promotion I've probably *watched* the least of in preparation. So a lot of it will be new to me too. That said, this is the first yearbook with lots of SNMEs the way we remember them, and I am a big mark for those quick cut intros they used to do to start every show, so we hope to capture all of those. Also, Wild Kingdom, which had a lot of silliness and three really good matches. I think that's the best SNME ever.

There looks to be some really good MSG and Coliseum Video matches from '90 as well.

How does polka dot Dusty hold up?

Actually not too bad so far. I mean, it's bad, but Dusty makes it work better than anyone else could have. Sapphire is atrocious, however. I didnt remember her being so god-awful when I was a kid.

Most importantly, I hear the set has lots of Demolition.

Honestly, it shouldn't. Past MAYBE the LOD/Warrior Six Man which is fun and maybe worth a look there isn't really a set worthy WWF Demos match in 90. There's a great Colossal Connection match that happens a few days before the first of the year, but that wouldn't count. A lot less footage in 90 and a ton of what we do have is Smash/Crush. They just weren't on MSG shows (only on three, one being the six man, another the Orient Express match). A lot of the other avenues had dried up by 90.

There are a TON of Hart Foundation vs Demos matches from throughout the year that weren't taped that are probably great, but the one that was taped is a Smash/Crush match and isn't nearly as good as people remember. But they feuded from Mania to Summerslam. It's a shame we don't have any of those. Likewise how the Colossal Connection feuded with Demos from the first of the year to Mania. If the December MSG match is any indication, they probably had some other really good ones.

Demos vs Rockers (the Third MSG match) and Demos vs Tito/Brunzell (A PTW match) are both Smash/Crush and while they're both fine, the lack of Ax shows. Neither are close to set worthy. I need to watch Smash/Crush vs Bushwhackers but I don't have high hopes.

There are some neat oddities I wish made tape like all the Shawn and/or Marty vs Smash matches. There's an Ax vs Animal match I'd be curious to see and certainly the Warrior Six man where Savage filled in for Ax. But none of this stuff was taped.

They ran a lot of LOD vs Demolition and LOD/Warrior vs Demos matches during tapings, but most of those haven't been released as best as I know. Just the MSG and a few Demos vs LOD matches that aren't really worth seeing (most being Smash/Crush).

I can go into more detail why I think the Summerslam or Orient Express matches aren't great, if anyone wants, but I don't know if it's necessary.

Honestly, I think the best and most interesting Demos match in 90 is vs Baba/Andre. If anything goes on, that should I guess, maybe the Brother Love Show Turn, the Harts/Rockers SNME match with interference and maybe, if you can find one, a Perfect + Demolition pre-Survivor Series promo just for the oddity of Hennig with those three. The reuniting with Fuji is kind of cool too to see them with the Orient Express as a unit but it's hardly necessary.

Just a bad luck year between the lack of taped matches in the Andre/Haku and Harts feuds and Ax going down with his condition/injury.

I think one of the interesting things to watch for is how the "major" promotions that are tracked through the decade all started the process of transitioning from the past to the future:

WWF: Hogan / Warrior

WCW: Flair / Sting

NJPW: Fujinami & Choshu / Three Musketeers

AJPW: Jumbo (& Tenryu) / Misawa

AJW: Crush Girls / Bull

The Crush Girls didn't pass it as their period essentially wrapped in 1989, but the era shifted.

It may not compete from a match quality perspective, but it just might! EMLL had a ridiculously hot year with tons of great matches. Probably a better year for relative lucha novices to really dive in than 1992-1996. That said, I have no idea what my MOTY will be. None.

I plan on doing a Top 100 PROMOS for the year on this set, not just matches.

Just to clarify, we are well past the point where we are seeking recommendations. We have more than enough to fill a yearbook, and are now in the editing phase. The good news is that unlike previous yearbooks, there are not very many matches that go 30 minutes or more.