Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party Podcast #6 aka No Rest for the Wicked

goodhelmet

Once Loss's schedule calms down, I am going to talk to him and Sorrow about booting up PWO Radio and we might have more of these viewing parties. This podcast is just to help me get through the set as I had no desire to watch it on my own to be honest. Feedback has been good even if it has been critical and I have had fun every single night I have done this.

Really great two man show with the format allowing a lot of deep discussion on psychology and wrestling preferences. Between this and Burning Hammer, we have had two great podcasts discussing that this week. Matches were really boss to.

1. Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. High Flyers (3/7/85) - Have this at #3 overall and loved it. Fairly simply done, but done extremely well with an amazing FIP sequence.

2. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (3/28/85) - My second favorite match of these two and a solid top 25 contender. Finish was really clever.

3. Mr. Saito vs. Curt Hennig (3/28/85) - Really heated up in second half of the match before a kind of abrupt finish.

4. The Road Warriors vs. High Flyers (3/28/85) - Really liked the work here and the selling done by the Warriors to make the High Flyers look threatening

5. Rick Martel vs. Jimmy Garvin (3/7/85) - Good solid work and I liked the stuff with Baron in the match

6. Bob Backlund & Brad Rheingans vs. Butch Reed & Larry Zbyszko (4/21/85) - Still a good match. Backlund was a little goofy but no way will this be near the bottom of my overall list.

I would be down for a Yearbook 90 podcast. With more things included on the Yearbook comps that are strictly for comedic value, I have to imagine that would play well in a group watching setting where people can shit all over it.

I definitely want to do a 1990 Yearbook podcast, but I'm not sure I want to do a watching party. The main reason is that the more low-key, mat-based matches aren't going to get the recognition they deserve, because everyone will feel like they have to talk the entire time. So the match itself becomes secondary to talking about it. I also like listening to commentary and the crowd, even when the commentary is in another language. I don't know that I can divide my attention that successfully.

• 1 month later...

Have to disagree with Will about Garvin. I've just written this over on DVDR:

"From what I've seen in Crockett, Garvin was good around 86-87, espcially in that cage match vs. Flair. Actively bad by 89-90."

At least on the supercards, Garvin was solid as a face whether on his own or teaming with Ronnie Garvin. And, so far, hasn't been as good teaming with Hayes.

Is it possibly that Garvin was someone who was able to bring his A-game to PPV events and Clashes but dogged it in nothing TV matches?

Have to disagree with Will about Garvin. I've just written this over on DVDR:

"From what I've seen in Crockett, Garvin was good around 86-87, espcially in that cage match vs. Flair. Actively bad by 89-90."

At least on the supercards, Garvin was solid as a face whether on his own or teaming with Ronnie Garvin. And, so far, hasn't been as good teaming with Hayes.

Is it possibly that Garvin was someone who was able to bring his A-game to PPV events and Clashes but dogged it in nothing TV matches?

I haven't watched the bash cage with Jimmy Garvin in years. I''ll revisit it soon. Years ago I thought the television was great, but the match itself was one of Flair's worst big matches ever. Let's see if time has lessened that opinion. JVK you are one of the only ones that I can remember pimping it as some classic.

Not sure I'd go as far as saying it's a classic, but it tells a very compelling story. Garvin kicks Flair's ass for 15 minutes, then blows his knee out and does one of the most effective selling jobs on it I've ever seen. Flair switches into psycho mode and goes after the leg like an assassin.

We're doing a best of 80s awards show in a few weeks, that's one "sleeper" pick I can see me putting quite high, as in top 20, the other one being the Gilbert/Simmons vs. Fantastics tag.

Both of those are in the ****1/4 range for me. I think Chad like that Garvin match too though.

I think in general I am pro blood, but anti-biting cuts.

Agree on this. Biting the cut is more silly and stupid than brutal and cool. I can see a man biting another man's cut in a fight to the death, but not in a wrestling match that is being sold as a competitive sport (at least on some level.

What about in a no dq/no holds barred/lights out/cage match etc. There's a reason why the belts are so often not on the line in AWA cage matches.

The Garvin match is a little forgettable for me, and I think it was a fairly strong feud if you watch the PWUSA stuff setting it up. To me, the biggest takeaway was that Garvin should have jumped to Vince instead. He would have fit right into the Rock'n'Wrestling era.

I thought the whole feud was a little strange. In the first couple of matches Martel is out for revenge after the angle on TV. Then the blow-off is a light-hearted match heavy on comedy. Strange way to wrap it all up like that given how the feud started. I've seen the 3 Winnipeg matches, the PWUSA match/angle, and a match from St. Paul but perhaps I'm missing a key point in the feud which bridges everything together.

I think in general I am pro blood, but anti-biting cuts.

Agree on this. Biting the cut is more silly and stupid than brutal and cool. I can see a man biting another man's cut in a fight to the death, but not in a wrestling match that is being sold as a competitive sport (at least on some level.

What about in a no dq/no holds barred/lights out/cage match etc. There's a reason why the belts are so often not on the line in AWA cage matches.

Still dumb. And unrealistic. These are pro wrestlers, not zombies or vampries.

Pretty much everything is justifiable as realistic in a wrestling/entertainment sense with a little imagination. An Irish whip is the equivalent of throwing someone into a wall. Criss-cross is the equivalent of chasing someone. I could go on and on.....

Munching on someone else's open wound cannot be related to anything besides a literal fight to the death or a zombie attack, which wrestling does not portray itself as (at least in my view). It's silly. Why give yourself hepatitis when you can just punch/kick/stab/gouge/headbutt/elbow/whatever to the wound and do a lot more damage than biting it?

It also looks a lot more gay than it does brutal.

• 2 months later...

For some reason I stopped right in the middle of this show, I think I had to go out for something, and then AWA took a long haitus in JvK's life. Well tonight it's back with vengeance.

Picture the scene, I've got several bottles of the finest English ale here and two big bags of maize-based snacks with a tub of Nacho cheese sauce. I've got an iPod loaded up with Will and Johnny Sorrow and the rest of disc 4 and then disc 5 ready to go. AWA 1985 is going to fucking take it tonight! I'll leave match comments on DVDR and pod-based comments here.

Set me a deadline Harrington, I'm going to do this shit!

I like the Will wants blood and violence vs. Matt D structure point being discussed again.

In recent times, I think I've shifted more towards taking intensity over logic. I also want to see a story play out, but it's my point with Flair again and again, stories can be organic and messy, they don't have to be structured and logical.

Also, watching Bock strut across the ring during this king of the mountain spot like the cockinest mutha fucker in the world, I think character is of the utmost importance to me too.

Intensity, character, story.

• 2 weeks later...