Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the Crockett History thing with Jim Cornette yesterday. I'm only about 20 minutes in but so far it's interesting. He gets to play the historian and talk about stuff he likes so there's minimal ranting thus far. My biggest complaint is you can't fucking hear the guy asking him questions at all.

What is this called? Sounds interesting....

I got the Crockett History thing with Jim Cornette yesterday. I'm only about 20 minutes in but so far it's interesting. He gets to play the historian and talk about stuff he likes so there's minimal ranting thus far. My biggest complaint is you can't fucking hear the guy asking him questions at all.

What is this called? Sounds interesting....

http://www.highspots.com/p/crockett-2-cornette.html

Watched the Shane Douglas Breaking Kayfabe yesterday. Really liked it for the most part, although I'll caveat that I'm someone who could listen to that guy read the phone book and enjoy it.

What I thought was really nice were the discussions of personal stories that weren't necessarily wrestling related.This was the first Breaking Kayfabe I'd seen, but I thought it was refreshing to get away from simply telling wrestling stories.

Excellent interview, and Douglas came off really well, as he usually does. The non-wrestling stories were indeed really interesting, although I must admit Douglas describing the worst aspects of Memphis wrestling as a bad Supremes video cracked me up. Can't help but think this guy is really a decent human being.

Guest Eduardo James

An old Bobby Roode name.

youtube.com/watch?v=pXHHdq-ryt8

I think his opponent's name is worthy of an *ahem*.

Well, that one was a deliberate attempt to be provocative. Total Lee Awesome is the name you give yourself while you're doing elbow drops to your stuffed wrestling buddy off the couch top rope.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Carilona shoot package that recently came out with Magnum, Corny, RnR Express etc etc, The Hart time line and a ton more. I'll be reviewing them all sooner or later in the next few months.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-timeline-wwf-1984-with-roddy-piper/#.U9p-6lf1vSh

Roddy Piper touches on his early WWWF and Portland runs, living with Rick Martel, The Hogan Feud, How Piper's Pit was started, Mr.T, getting arrested, drinking with the Von Erich boys, drinking with Andre, Pat Patterson coming on to him, Nude misadventures, Frankie Williams, Screw jobs, ribs, Stu Hart's Dungeon, and MUCH more!

Listened to the first 40 minutes on this, right up to Mania 8. Bret gives good thorough answers (as you'd expect) and so far is one of the better guests on this series. Good stuff on his discussions with WCW at the start of the year, the WBF, the steriod and sex scandals, and a thoughtful dissection of the differences in match layout between him and Flair.

Sometimes guys just end up with skanky looking women.

What are you refering to ?

Bret Hart refers to it in his 1992 Timeline video. There was a former WWF employee that accused Vince McMahon of rape and Bret went off on a tangent about Tiger Woods when discussing it. He seemed to sort of disbelieve how powerful and wealthy celebrity types who could presumably get anyone they want are get caught up in trysts with unattractive women.

Like he should be one to talk, the guy who refers in his book to times he cheated on his wife as if they were joyful sexual conquests.

Bret's opinion about bodybuilders is probably the complete opposite of Vince's opinion on them. ^_^

And I'm sure neither are true. Bret seemed really sore about the WBF in general which is understandable, and with the benefit of hindsight, it's the very definition of bad timing for Vince to have started up such a promotion.

I ordered the Carilona shoot package that recently came out with Magnum, Corny, RnR Express etc etc, The Hart time line and a ton more. I'll be reviewing them all sooner or later in the next few months.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-timeline-wwf-1984-with-roddy-piper/#.U9p-6lf1vSh

Roddy Piper touches on his early WWWF and Portland runs, living with Rick Martel, The Hogan Feud, How Piper's Pit was started, Mr.T, getting arrested, drinking with the Von Erich boys, drinking with Andre, Pat Patterson coming on to him, Nude misadventures, Frankie Williams, Screw jobs, ribs, Stu Hart's Dungeon, and MUCH more!

Great to see the reviews back!

Bret's Timeline is a total 180 from the Piper Timeline. Piper went off on boring tangents that had nothing to do with the topics. Bret goes off a bit, but keeps it somewhat related to the topic, and are very interesting and/or entertaining. Can anyone confirm if Wrestling With Shadows features a scene with Neidhart commenting that at least no monitors got thrown, after Bret punched Vince?

Watched the Paul Heyman doc and it's amazing. At worst Top 3 they've ever done.

He claims Smackdown outdrew RAW in ratings, merchandising and house shows during his run on the writing team. Ratings and merch I have no trouble believing, but I had no idea they were beating RAW on house shows too. Does anybody know for how long they were beating them?

Guest Eduardo James

It was a little bit fluffy, to be honest. I don't watch too many of the docs, but it's near the bottom out of the ones I have. I think the Punk one was one of the best ones they did. It wasn't bad by any means, but the way it was hyped I expected a bit more...dirt, I guess? The backstage footage was awesome and I was surprised that Raven made an appearance as a talking head considering he sued the WWE not too long ago. It was also amusing to see Tommy Dreamer contradict Heyman's "I was never paid in ECW" unintentionally. He related a story about how Heyman promised him $22,000 from merchandise money, but when it came time to pay Tommy, he gave him $15,000 because he needed the rest to pay some bills. I guess you could interpret it as company bills, but I didn't take it that way.

On that note, I will say it's amazing how guys still stick up for Heyman years after ECW closed. Dreamer mentions he was owed $65,000 at that point and RVD mentions the "bond" the locker room shared despite the bounced checks. Maybe I'm cynical, but if you still owe me tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars years after I worked for you, fuck off with that bond BS.