Pro Wrestling Only

Things in kayfabe that you can't believe still happens

SteveJRogers

So, I'm looking at Solie.org's title histories site for the NWA National Heavyweight Title and come across this:

47.Kevin Northcutt

04/14/2000-N. Richland Hills, TX

Kevin Northcutt held the following titles in conjunction with the NWA National Heavyweight Championship:

The NWA Texas Heavyweight Championship won 04/08/2000 at Galviston, TX.

There is a question about whether or not this match ever actually took place

Strikes me as a bit funny given that while not as big as it is today, but the information superhighway was still pretty darn big in 2000 that is would be hard to kayfabe away title changes in matches that didn't occur!

I mean, its one thing for the 1979 Rio de Janerio tournament to declare the first WWWF IC champion when the only real coverage would be whatever local paper prints results of events, so the "wink wink, nudge nudge" is easy to play when your in a time and "place" where results would be hard to transmit from. But today, or well 14 years ago, one would think it would be harder with record keeping (even in Rio today), and world wide information transmission of just about anything you want to find out to kayfabe something that didn't happen.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty easy to pretend a title change happened in some podunk indy because there's probably only 50-100 people in the crowd that could have witnessed it anyway. Hell, the title change COULD have happened but in front of a group of 30 people and none of them wrote about it online. Kind of the old "if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it" deal.

R. Bruce Tharpe, old Florida announcer and the man behind the new NWA, used to have a promotion named IWF in South Texas. Their champion left after a dispute, so he just made up a story on TV that Chavo Guerrero Sr. defeated the champion "in Mexico". Chavo Sr. came to the promotion, apparently all wasted, defended the title that one time, and then disappeared.

I like the entirely fictional idea of "the world" in wrestling.

Shit like the 1992 Tournament for the NWA World Tag Team Championship where like 2 guys from Japan, a pair of Mexicans and the Malenko brothers are meant to represent "the rest of the world". Which gives the commentators ammunition to talk about how it's a truly international sport, etc. etc.

I enjoy this total myth making.

I don't know if anyone's ever watched any snooker, but the "World title" in that is typically contested between 95% people from the UK. In the 90s, there was one dude from Canada and one dude from Thailand and so much weight was placed on them to carry the torch of it being an "international" competition. These days there are loads of Chinese players, so the diaspora is a little wider, but still.

Gabe and ROH used to always try to kayfabe fans about things.

Gabe claiming ROH was making the first ever match betwee Naomichi Marfuji and Go Shiozaki, which was well documented as having happened several times in NOAH. This was so well known as bullshit that Gabe actually apologized the next day for making the claim that it was their first ever match.

When McGuiness went on a NOAH tour, ROH's announcers would talk about how he was defending the Pure Title to add to it's value. Well, the ROH title history page (which was always kept immaculately current for reigns and defenses) never listed a single Nigel defense in NOAH. Amongst other things to be found in their history was a Samoa Joe title defense in the NJPW USA fed, and also a Jay Lethal Pure Title defense on some Upstate, NY indy fed.

Those ridiculous "Who attacked Lucy?" inserts in every DVD, where they'd ask fans for their tips. As though there were just random fans walking around backstage in the area Dayton and happened to see the whole thing.

The claim that it was Low Ki who attacked Jay Lethal at the Trios Tourny backstage. When it was common knowledge that Ki was on a major NOAH Budokan show on the same day.

I think the most ridiculous example of a sport claiming to have a "World Cup" is rugby league, which is contested by Australia, NZ, England and the various Pacific Island nations that they beat in the group stages as tune ups.

And yes, pool tables are pretty common in pubs and bars in Australia and everyone has heard of it. Not that it is in any way popular as a sport though.

Guys repeatedly getting away with cheating never really made sense from a kayfabe standpoint, but it's even worse now that just about every sport has instant replay. It makes wrestling look behind the times.

Actually they just did an instant replay finish in WWE at the Extreme Rules PPV with Del Rio & Swagger.

Guys repeatedly getting away with cheating never really made sense from a kayfabe standpoint, but it's even worse now that just about every sport has instant replay. It makes wrestling look behind the times.

Actually they just did an instant replay finish in WWE at the Extreme Rules PPV with Del Rio & Swagger.

The thing I don't like about this is that, even with the lax continuity laws of wrestling, if they can do that for one match, why can't they do that for every other match?

They've kind of gotten away from it now, but there used to be the ol' "I got hit from behind by a heel, but when I turn around, my partner is standing there and we have a misunderstanding" thing. Then the incident would be shown a number of times on television, but the dude who got hit would refuse to believe it wasn't his buddy that hit him.

It's also a stupid comparison because pro sports don't have instant replay across the board for every possible blown call. The majority of missed calls mirror pro wrestling logic- "the ref can't be everywhere at once" aka "he didn't see it, it didn't happen."

In the NFL, every scoring play is reviewed. Using that logic, every pin should also be reviewed.

They've kind of gotten away from it now, but there used to be the ol' "I got hit from behind by a heel, but when I turn around, my partner is standing there and we have a misunderstanding" thing. Then the incident would be shown a number of times on television, but the dude who got hit would refuse to believe it wasn't his buddy that hit him.

Or my favorite variation, partner goes for heel, heel ducks and the guy's partner gets hit and we have the misunderstanding, despite obvious evidence. Entire blood feuds have been based around this sort of shenanigan!

Good example would be Shawn Michaels' heel turn at SummerSlam 1997 when he hit Undertaker by accident to give Bret Hart the title. It was never declared by Shawn that he did it on purpose, i.e. saying "Screw you 'Taker, if anyone is going to drive Bret Hart out, it's gonna be ME" but their feud was centered around Taker thinking Shawn purposely screwed him out of the title.

I never got the impression that Taker wanted to kill him because he

thought it was on purpose. Accident or not someone hitting you with a chair and costing you the title is a legit reason for a feud. Shawn being a dick about it didnt help either.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but moves that require the opponent to be in a prone position that ONLY EVER OCCURS BEFORE THAT MOVE.

Example, Bossman's move when the guy is hanging over the bottom rope and he comes over with his leg. When have you ever seen a guy hang over the bottom rope like that other than just before that move?

Some of Rey's moves are also of this variety.