Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite "WTF" Wrestler / Tag Teams

Smack2k

Are there any singles or tag teams over the years and promotions you liked that you didnt really understand why you did as they were either really bad in the ring or on the mic and didnt really leave a huge impression on the business except with you?

I can start with one of mine:

Kevin Kelly / Nick Kiniski (w/ Madusa) - AWA - 1987

These guys werent together for a long time in AWA (maybe a year?) but for some reason I was an am a fan.. I liked their mic work and their arrogance about how good they were even though everyone knew they weren't. Kelly was in GREAT shape at this time (not the Nailz he would become) and Kiniski rocked his dad's cool Canada jacket. They had some good TV matches including an OK match with the Midnight Rockers when they came back to the AWA in late 87...They got a lot of TV time and interiews in the end of 87, beginning of 88...

Deuce and Domino. That music, man. I literally couldn't tell you a single memorable match that they were in but I could sing you their theme music right now.

hell yeah man, i LOVED deuce and domino. my dream wwe booking scenario is for them to return and have a lengthy honky tonk man-esque run with the tag titles, hamming it up with their gimmick like never before.

also does anyone remember for a while there domino was taking nutty bumps left and right for no reason in nothing matches? it was awesome. i remember once he got eliminated from a battle royal, landed on his feet and JUST for the sake of taking a nutty bump jumped up and landed face first on the floor.

I thought Test was going to be a really big deal long term when he first showed up.

He really should have been. He was mega-over during the Shane feud (crowd reaction to winning at Summerslam '99 was 2nd to Austin's entrance) and really should have been the guy to replace Austin at Survivor Series instead of Big Show. He was a big missed opportunity.

Wow, speaking of which, Cherry. When she started having matches she was my favourite wrestler in the world. Then they quickly shelved her after like a month and I was devastated.

Cherry had a couple of my favorite TV matches that year.

Wow, speaking of which, Cherry. When she started having matches she was my favourite wrestler in the world. Then they quickly shelved her after like a month and I was devastated.

Cherry had a couple of my favorite TV matches that year.

Her debut vs Victoria is honest to God one of my favourite matches ever.

I thought Test was going to be a really big deal long term when he first showed up.

No, I don't really know why either.

You weren't the only one. I remember the hype on Byte This (yeah, I listened to Byte This in 1999... I know I know...) before he debuted. Andrew Martin was supposed to have the charisma and size of Sid with the work ethic of Shawn Micheals. Ah ah, those were the days...

I agree...he SHOULD have been in Survivor Series, considering what happened in the months prior...or AT LEAST at Armageddon vs. Triple H in teh No Holds Barred Match after what was done to him....especially after Armageddon when all of DX beat his ass on TV and Stephanie was slapping him around. If you are gonna destroy him that quickly, at least give him a Main Event match beforehand so you can use him later meaningfully....

Not sure who decided to completely squash him after the wedding as right before it he was HOT and got the win vs. HHH on the wedding night....made no sense.

Jim Powers. I have no understanding of why, but my love of Jim Powers knows no bounds.

Sicko.

I wish someone would watch those Buddy Rose vs Stan Stasiak matches and tell me if I'm nuts for liking them so much. Stan brings a lot to the table against Buddy, but I can't entirely tell if he brings a lot of stuff Buddy can use or if he brings a lot of stuff that he himself uses.

Also I thought Adam Bomb was the shit back in the day

This made me instantly think of my answer for this question, which is Crush. As in, Hawaiian colourful babyface Crush. I thought he was the new heavyweight superhero babyface, the new Hogan. And believe it or not, my reasoning had a lot of "smart" value to it, as I knew Ax was gone and Smash went on to become Repo Man, leading me to think, "Okay, Crush gets to be Crush still. He must be a big deal." Then he lost to the Doinks and his stock immediately dropped in my eyes. :)

Also I thought Adam Bomb was the shit back in the day

This made me instantly think of my answer for this question, which is Crush. As in, Hawaiian colourful babyface Crush. I thought he was the new heavyweight superhero babyface, the new Hogan. And believe it or not, my reasoning had a lot of "smart" value to it, as I knew Ax was gone and Smash went on to become Repo Man, leading me to think, "Okay, Crush gets to be Crush still. He must be a big deal." Then he lost to the Doinks and his stock immediately dropped in my eyes. :)

I still think Crush was super over in late 92. It's before he'd really taken on the accent.

I think Jim Powers cam from when I was a kid in 91 or so, and he'd always look good against pushed talent on PTW, and I always thought as a massive markish child "IF HE JUST GETS THAT ONE WIN, HE'LL BE SORTED!", then a year later he started coming out to "Crank it Up" again which made it even worse for me.

Still waiting for that one win.

Deuce and Domino. That music, man. I literally couldn't tell you a single memorable match that they were in but I could sing you their theme music right now.

hell yeah man, i LOVED deuce and domino. my dream wwe booking scenario is for them to return and have a lengthy honky tonk man-esque run with the tag titles, hamming it up with their gimmick like never before.

Absolutely. Hated how quick they got broken up.. great gimmick and unforgettably great theme music that I still love.

Guest Staples

AJ Styles and Tomko. They were together for a while (over a year) by current day wrestling standards, but no one really brings them up. They weren't the best by any real means, but I thought they had good in ring chemistry and Tomko pulled off being the straight man to AJ's goofy heel character. They had a decently long tag reign that was randomly ended by Kazarian and "Super Eric," a pair that didn't even end up holding the titles afterwards.

(Note: Not saying AJ isn't talented and Tomko was decent for his role, but for a makeshift tag team, they were much better than I thought they would have been.)

AJ Styles and Tomko. They were together for a while (over a year) by current day wrestling standards, but no one really brings them up. They weren't the best by any real means, but I thought they had good in ring chemistry and Tomko pulled off being the straight man to AJ's goofy heel character. They had a decently long tag reign that was randomly ended by Kazarian and "Super Eric," a pair that didn't even end up holding the titles afterwards.

Also thought they were a very good team. Really liked a PPV match they had against Abyss & Sting

Another guy for me was Mortis. I would lose my shit when Mortis was on my tv in 96/97.

That reminds me that I thought Wrath and Glacier was the best ever! Well not really, but I did really like their stuff in 97. That is until Ernest Miller debuted.