Pro Wrestling Only

Who is the modern equivalent of Bulldog Bob Brown?

BrickHithouse

My first thought was honestly Scott Steiner as a singles guy. Or to make things easier him as "Big Poppa Pump". His main event pushes almost always seem to coincide with downturns or else TNA (;)).

What are his real main event runs? Some abortive attempt circa 91 in WCW. Then WCW in 2001 and vs. HHH for the World title some time in 2002-3? Then at some point in TNA right?

Scott Steiner is my call.

Would a "Bob Brown type" need to be a guy who may not be any good, but was working in such a dull territory that he was actually the best option? Or are we just talking about poor company aces? Poor company aces are common, I think the first example is much more interesting, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Would a "Bob Brown type" need to be a guy who may not be any good, but was working in such a dull territory that he was actually the best option? Or are we just talking about poor company aces? Poor company aces are common, I think the first example is much more interesting, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Good question. My answer would be "whatever keeps this thread from bogging down into mind-numbing tedium", but that's just an opinion :) Take it in whatever direction you want.

Who was at the top of AJPW during the mass exodus, and would that guy fit our criteria?

Who was at the top of AJPW during the mass exodus, and would that guy fit our criteria?

Misawa, who was trying to elevate Kobashi to the spot.

After the exodus, they went with Tenryu... but he's a sacred cow, so we best not use him. Then they brought in Keiji Mutoh, with Mrs. Baba gave him a lot of power for that. Then they went back to Kawada, but he got hurt instantly... and it was back to Tenryu and Mutoh for another year. Basically Oct 2000 through Feb 2003 was them.

Yep, works for me. Misawa, Kobashi, Tenryu and Mutoh. ;)

John

Zbyszko was a great worker and a good promo. There was just no reason for him to be a top guy beyond family loyalty.

Bob Brown had no redeeming qualities. He couldn't work. He wasn't a good promo. He wasn't a beloved local hero who was way over the hill like late period George Becker or someone like that.

What makes it all more ridiculous is that not only did he homestead his best friend's territory, but when it closed, he rode his nephew Kerry Brown's coat tails into being booked all over Canada for another 6-7 years. Kerry wasn't a great worker anymore, but he was a good veteran hand who was valuable to Stampede, WFWA/IWA Winnipeg, Grand Prix in the Maritimes, etc, and Bob followed him everywhere until he retired in 1996.

Funny side note to this rash of Bob Brown fetishism:

The only time Dave and I got intensely negative feedback for a Wrestling Culture show was a commentator on the Maritimes show at Kayfabe Memories who was incensed that Dave, Andrew and myself trashed the great Bob Brown.

My troll answer to the question posed by this is Sting.

My more serious darkhorse answer might be Lance Storm, though he was never a real main eventer.

Zbyszko was a great worker and a good promo. There was just no reason for him to be a top guy beyond family loyalty.

Bob Brown had no redeeming qualities. He couldn't work. He wasn't a good promo. He wasn't a beloved local hero who was way over the hill like late period George Becker or someone like that.

What makes it all more ridiculous is that not only did he homestead his best friend's territory, but when it closed, he rode his nephew Kerry Brown's coat tails into being booked all over Canada for another 6-7 years. Kerry wasn't a great worker anymore, but he was a good veteran hand who was valuable to Stampede, WFWA/IWA Winnipeg, Grand Prix in the Maritimes, etc, and Bob followed him everywhere until he retired in 1996.

For the record, I like Larry I was just trying to think of a circumstance where a promotion was falling apart and used somebody in a top role where they probably wouldn't get that opportunity anywhere else.

I guess this means there's only one Bulldog Bob Brown :)

The only time Dave and I got intensely negative feedback for a Wrestling Culture show was a commentator on the Maritimes show at Kayfabe Memories who was incensed that Dave, Andrew and myself trashed the great Bob Brown.

My more serious darkhorse answer might be Lance Storm, though he was never a real main eventer.

Justin Credible might be a better choice then.

Misawa, who was trying to elevate Kobashi to the spot.

After the exodus, they went with Tenryu... but he's a sacred cow, so we best not use him. Then they brought in Keiji Mutoh, with Mrs. Baba gave him a lot of power for that. Then they went back to Kawada, but he got hurt instantly... and it was back to Tenryu and Mutoh for another year. Basically Oct 2000 through Feb 2003 was them.

Yep, works for me. Misawa, Kobashi, Tenryu and Mutoh. ;)

John

Is Naoya Ogawa a good pick?

Justin Credible might be a better choice then.

Credible was a LOT better than STorm

Throwing another name out there: Was Sid ever a draw anywhere? When I think of his main event runs, I think of him getting pushed opposite Hogan when the WWF/Hulkamania were fading from their glory days, having off and on main event runs in the WWF during some dark days for them when, for the roles he played, they didn't have much else, and being a main eventer in WCW, with his run starting from pretty much when the Monday Night Wars were already kaput. Is there anything I'm missing of the guy that could say the opposite of all this?

My impression of Sid is that's he's the bonafide "gets cheered when he should be getting booed" guy: in his early Skyscrapers run, vs. Hogan in 92, vs. Shawn in 96.

I don't know what it says about him though. That he couldn't show ass? That he couldn't get over effectively as a heel? That he was really over? I don't know. Pretty sure it never translated into box office. Think Sid is also a guy who was so bad in the ring, and known to be such a problem out of it, that no promotion is ever really going to trust him in the top spot for any amount of time.