Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Battleground 2013

anarchistxx

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan

- Match was building up fine until the finish that left me scratching my head. I think they should have had a weird Big SShow's job for Bryan's right to fight for the belt at HIAC here instead of the Orton-Bryan match. Well, I guess HIAC will be set up but what a shitty way to get there.

I really enjoyed the main but I'm higher on Orton than most. I thought everything he did meant something in the grand scheme of things and his selling as a heel is pretty great, especially selling strikes. Had they been able to work to a clean finish, I'd have enjoyed it more but surely the Big Show payoff punch needed to be to HHH?

Really, I thought that was just fine. It was a big payoff to the Show angle which has been a big deal and the crowd went nuts for it. Russo-ish booking like that PPV after PPV is a problem but in an era with largely clean, conventional finishes something like this once every long while I think is fine. It was obvious SOMETHING screwy was gonna end this match and this at least makes me interested to see RAW tomorrow. I actually liked it though I anticipate myself being in the distinct minority.

Bryan vs Orton was good up until the finish. The worst part is that the show just sort of ended without an announcement of what the finish was. Is that supposed to be like a cliffhanger on a TV drama? I already sort of hate the way WWE shows end by just fading out but without an actual finish is egregious.

That's all okay though because Shield vs the Rhodes family was awesome. It might have been the best Shield match so far. The Shield are a great team but they haven't had the chance to work an opponent who is as great in tag matches as Dustin. The stuff with Dusty and Ambrose on the outside was great too. It was executed perfectly and it was just the right amount of extracurricular bullshit.

I thought both guys looked outstanding in that match. That might have been Orton's best individual performance all year. For it to end like that...I mean there wasn't even a fucking finish. My biggest pet peeve in all of wrestling are matches that have no actual finish. Fuck

I mean, I can get hating the fact that a PPV main event had a non-finish on principle, or hating non finishes as a rule, but would a by the numbers screwy ending have been more interesting? Would Orton getting the pin fall post punch have been a more satisfying ending than what happened? That was a huge turning point in the Show angle which has been one of the most prominent angles on TV and a moment they have been building to for months and the crowd went nuts for it. To me that was a bigger moment than any likely match ending would have been. I feel like I got more of "my money's worth" for that than the standard Orton screwy victory I was expecting.

How was it a turning point? Show still knocked out Bryan first.

He openly 'defied orders' and then KO'd Orton. Then stood on the turnbuckle and shouted "no more." Seems like a huge marker that says turning point in the angle to me. Yeah he hit Bryan first but I took it as him just coming to his senses and saying 'enough is enough' in the moment during the count.

I won't disagree that the match shouldn't have happened. But I think for the match it was, the place it was in in the angle, how it was booked going in and the prospects there were coming out of it, this might've been the best finish they could do.

Not watching the show for various reasons but the finish seems to me that Show is being added to the feud and HIAC will be a 3-way

If that does happen then it is going to take a lot to get Bryan at WM to mean shit. It will be booked like Show vs Orton with little Daniel Bryan getting in the way I can tell

I'm not sure why HHH/Steph would reward Big Show with a title match out of this anyway. There's still a lot to do in Orton/Bryan matches so no need to make it triple threat. Orton has yet to hit a RKO in either PPV match, neither guy hit a finisher tonight and they haven't ramped up the submission stuff either. The Cell is a terrible gimmick for Bryan though.

I don't really get why they take the moral compass and make him the centerpiece of this feud, now. Show was best on the side as a wild card, but now...I don't see it. Bryan is so over at this point and now you're going to dilute that by bringing Show into the equation. Supposedly, HHH and the McMahons are gonna be off TV after HIAC, so Show being pushed is probably what's going to make that happen. I don't see what the end game here is. They've now made Bryan's two big wins mean basically nothing now that so many other things are being involved.

I'm not sure why HHH/Steph would reward Big Show with a title match out of this anyway. There's still a lot to do in Orton/Bryan matches so no need to make it triple threat. Orton has yet to hit a RKO in either PPV match, neither guy hit a finisher tonight and they haven't ramped up the submission stuff either. The Cell is a terrible gimmick for Bryan though.

Show goes tweener and claims HE should be the face of the WWE, and Steph rewards him for becoming the monster she wants him to be? Her MO with both Orton and Show has been to bring out their "ruthless aggression"

Not that it's what I'd do, but it at least makes sense within their story here

I loved everything about The Rhodes Family vs. The Shield, from the pre-match to the post-match. I thought Bryan-Orton started slow and wasn't clicking with the crowd, then it got really good as it got going. The finish.....meh, it's about what I was expecting so it is what it is. And I like this better than if Show had helped one of them win. As it played out Bryan was on the verge of winning, then on the verge of getting screwed again, then a cliffhanger ending. Nobody should go into an obvious B show like this expecting resolution anyway IMO, you kind of had to know it was to setup a HIAC match. They've booked PPV like this for 15 years.

Rest of the show was just there. I wasn't expecting much out of Punk-Ryback and it wasn't much. Kofi-Wyatt was just a match, but better than I expected. Axel-Truth...again, just a match, could have been any match you see on tv any week from WWE. AJ-Brie.....your usual AJ match, and Brie tried hard. RVD-ADR was a decent spotfest, RVD is definitely best in a match like that, but it's tough to invest in a world title match when you know there's no chance the challenger is walking out with the belt. I felt that way about ADR-Christian at SS too. They need to find some legit challengers for him. When is Sheamus due back?

I know three ways are hell but Show and Bryan are so good at match layout (or participating in such a thing) that I kind of badly want to see what a HITC with all three guys would look like. You people never get on board with my curiosity on this stuff. You're all "But I want a good match." pfft. We get a good match every other time Bryan is out there. I want to see some experimental wrestling now and again, dammit.

So according to Meltz Punk and Ryback are good friends and thought that the nut shot was good for both guys (which is very debatable)

If true it is funny how Ryback's best friends are the IWC best friends. Punk, Bryan, Heyman. At this rate it wouldn't shock me if Ryback and Regal are buddies

Really mediocre show on the whole, other than the Rhodes/Shield tag which was fantastic with an awesome stretch. The only thing to wake the crowd up all night.

The Wyatt Family are horrible, have been since they debuted. Neat idea in theory, but the actual execution is not going too well at all. Bored me to tears, even moreso than R-Truth/Curtis Axel which was equally dull, just no heat whatsoever. Axel is pretty dreadful, can't connect with the crowd on any level.

Punk/Ryback was too long, and pretty average, although it certainly wasn't all Ryback's fault. I'll go out on a limb and say Punk hasn't been too good for a while now, unless he's in there with somebody who can take him to a great match. Ryback is actually alright at what he does, but twenty minute PPV matches certainly shouldn't be in his repertoire yet. His character is better than his wrestling. I think he'll be one of those guys the IWC really comes around on in a couple of years, Mark Henry/Chris Masters style. He isn't that good yet but he shows a lot of promise and at least has some charisma. I like him quite a bit.

Bryan/Orton was underwhelming like the rest of the card, not helped by the dead crowd. Really not a lot to say about that match, just a competent enough main event that did enough to get by. The ending was alright in principle, but that should have been the ending to a Raw not to a $50 PPV. This whole show could have happened on Raw without anyone batting an eyelid, except for the Rhodes stuff. A show that should never have happened in my opinion, considering they have another one three weeks down the line. They could have used the extra time to built to HITC rather than tossing this show in.

I was talking to Dave Musgrave before the show started and I mentioned how I was more excited for Goldust-Cody vs. Shield than any match in a long time and boy did it deliver.

From Goldust's paint being beyound awesome to the locker room emptying to celebrate the whole thing was just perfect. Goldust proved he is still one of the best in the world, which was great to see. I echo the statements that he may be one of the greatest tag wrestlers ever. His punches and powerslam are some of the best ever as well. Worth the price of the whole show.

Main event was going real well until the "finish".