Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #56

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-b...e-champions-13/

clash13.png

Chad and Parv sit through Clash of the Champions 13.

- [06:17] Wrestling Observer and Torch roundup: Cornette and Lane quit, why wrestling fans everywhere should hate Fred Ward, Art Barr, and Meltzer’s crusade against the use of magic in wrestling.

- [00:53:33] Review of Clash 13, featuring: El Gigante! Nightstalker! Moto City Madman! The Renegade Warriors! Kalua! The Botswana Beast! Col. Krueger and Col. DeKlerk! Prime Time Brian Lee! The Starblazer! And, yes, The Black Scorpion!

- [02:17:07] End of show awards and question for the listeners: can you think of a worse booked supercard than this?

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Okay, the final word (assuming it's not touched on again when I get to the match):

Col. Deklerk = Ted Petty, aka Rocco Rock

Sgt. Krueger = Ray Apollo, aka the babyface Doink.

Kahlua = Somebody named Larry Hamilton--obviously not Jody's brother who was also the Missouri Mauler.

The Beast = Bill Tabb, former NWA jobber.

This may have been the worst card ever, but damn if this wasn't one of the best WTBBP's ever. Loved the commentary during the descent into pure Wrestlecrap as things just got worse and worse, capped off by Chad cutting a fired up promo on the Black Scorpion magic show. The struggle to name a Billy Graham winner because there were too many candidates was also hilarious.

There is a bio of Yukon Eric in Johnson and Oliver's Heroes & Icons book, where he was ranked #25 all-time. He is also discussed in Mad Dogs, Midgets and Screwjobs (in the Kowalski bio section).

A few years back, before the days of Wiki, I noticed that in the 1970s there was a WWWF tag team called the Yukon Lumberjacks, (even held the tag titles and managed by, you guessed it, Captain Lou, but in 1978, just missing the Titans of Wrestling's coverage) and one of them was named "Eric" which made me wonder if this was the same Yukon Eric from the Kowalski incident. Obviously he wasn't, the 1970s Eric was Scott Irwin.

BTW, and Chad's love of the Atlanta Braves made me think of it, but former Atlanta Brave of the early to mid 1980s pitcher Donnie Moore took his own life in 1989. Now obviously Moore had his personal demons he was battling, but there is speculation that his life began to unravel to the point where he would ultimately end it, was when he gave up a game winning home run in Game 6 of the 1986 American League Championship Series as a member of the California Angels.

The Angels were an out away from winning the series and advancing to the World Series, Moore gives up a homer to the Red Sox' Dave Henderson in the top of the ninth. Angels lose the game, and the series in the 7th Game, and Moore was never the same as an Angel, and indeed as a baseball player.

As I said, Moore had plenty of issues besides blowing a shot at the World Series for his team, but there is a case of an infamous incident in the sports arena being a part of the unraveling mental state to drive one to suicide.

Oh, and for the record, and quite disturbingly, the Moore case does have a parallel to Chris Benoit. Moore attempted to kill his wife, in front of their kids, before blowing his own brains. She somehow survived.

Here is an article from a few years ago detailing the Moore story:

The Myth of the Home Run That Drove an Angels Pitcher to Suicide

I want to touch on your current WWE tag team point. Here would be the current teams:

Champs: Rhodes Brothers

1 Real Americans

2 Big Show and Rey

3 The Shield

4 Wyatt Family

5 Usos

6 Mark Henry and Big E

7 Ryback and Axel

8 Prime Time Players

9 3MB

10 Los Matadores

So they have a way better tag division now.

I'm the one that asked Bobby Eaton to train El Gigante after I fired those assholes Jim Cornette and Stan Lane. All Bobby needed was one session. He told me "There's nothing I can teach that guy". I knew Gigante was good, but THAT good? I immediately penned a story about how the Freebirds kidnapped Gigante before Thanksgiving Thunder. But don't worry fans, Gigante would return after the match to get revenge!

As a reward I told Bobby I would let him wrestle Tom Zenk in the opener at Starrcade.

Chad mentioned SEA GOO early in the show. I have a great idea for a Sea Monster tag team featuring a guy dressed up like the Creature from the Black Lagoon but I needed a second. This Sea Goo guy is exactly what I need.

Fuck Tony Schiavone. Wallstreet Warrior was the deepest character I ever created. Not like he would have drawn less than Sting did.

[

BTW, and Chad's love of the Atlanta Braves made me think of it, but former Atlanta Brave of the early to mid 1980s pitcher Donnie Moore took his own life in 1989. Now obviously Moore had his personal demons he was battling, but there is speculation that his life began to unravel to the point where he would ultimately end it, was when he gave up a game winning home run in Game 6 of the 1986 American League Championship Series as a member of the California Angels.

The Angels were an out away from winning the series and advancing to the World Series, Moore gives up a homer to the Red Sox' Dave Henderson in the top of the ninth. Angels lose the game, and the series in the 7th Game, and Moore was never the same as an Angel, and indeed as a baseball player.

As I said, Moore had plenty of issues besides blowing a shot at the World Series for his team, but there is a case of an infamous incident in the sports arena being a part of the unraveling mental state to drive one to suicide.

The fuck is this shit?

[

The fuck is this shit?

LOLL I just popped for Mr.Herd

No there's not a worse booked supercard I can think of. Maybe Heroes of Wrestling featured worse actual action, but even then it's pretty close in quality.

Sad to hear that guests are proving hard to coordinate with. I always enjoy hearing different voices for the big shows, though I don't think any combination of hosts could have made this better.

Except possibly drunk out of his mind Johnny Sorrow "calling" in to wish them a Merry Christmas.

Had to cleanse the taste of this show out of my mouth by watching some great lucha this morning.

what disc are you up too in the Lucha set? Im starting disc 3 now

Still on disc 3 (same as September!) but I actually watched some of the Rush vs. Negro Casas trios matches from this past year right after I watched this show.

Great show! I think the worse the show is the funnier you guys are. Parv's laugh always cracks me up. It reminds me of Pinfold from the Dangermouse cartoon.

BTW I have Ole's book ( A really good read ) and the way he explains the Black Scorpion was that he simply came up with a random name for an opponent for Sting almost as a joke and Herd LOVED it and wanted it booked but Ole kept telling him it was just a name that had no meaning. I'll have to go back and look for specifics for this show and all the magic.

Ole also got into an argument ( I think this was later down the line ) with Herd over Flair's pay. Ole wanted to lower costs and Herd said Flair needed to make $750,000 per year or something like that BECAUSE he was the World Champion and the champion needed to be paid really well. Ole kept telling Herd that they GAVE Flair the title and he didn't EARN it. Ole said if he knew this was the case he would have booked himself as champion to get the money!

BTW I have Ole's book ( A really good read ) and the way he explains the Black Scorpion was that he simply came up with a random name for an opponent for Sting almost as a joke and Herd LOVED it and wanted it booked but Ole kept telling him it was just a name that had no meaning. I'll have to go back and look for specifics for this show and all the magic.

GUESS WHO LAUGHED LAST? PRETTY FUNNY JOKE HUH OLE?