Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
goodhelmet

WWE Network... It's Here

Recommended Posts

Broken Skull Sessions with The King is good fun. Probably my favorite episode yet. Likely nothing new for most of us, but still a fun trip down memory lane - especially the Andy Kaufman stuff and stories about Jim Carrey and Man on the Moon. 

King's obvious plastic surgery is a tad bit distracting at first though. Also, it may just be me, but his accent seems slightly more Southern in this setting. Despite him being the King of Memphis Wrestling, he's never really sounded like a Southerner to me before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching some WCW 1993. Both the Saturday Nights & now Clash of the Champions from Jan. '93 featuring THE THUNDERCAGE. I... don't think I've ever seen this show before. They just ran Chris Benoit Vs. Brad Armstrong and it was GREAT. Ref was Nick Patrick, Commentary was Jim Ross & Jesse Ventura.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C.S. said:

Also, it may just be me, but his accent seems slightly more Southern in this setting. Despite him being the King of Memphis Wrestling, he's never really sounded like a Southerner to me before.

That's because he spent part of his childhood in Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coffey said:

They just ran Chris Benoit Vs. Brad Armstrong and it was GREAT.

I know the inclination will be to credit what's-his-name for that, but Brad Armstrong was a hell of a worker and very, very underrated.

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

That's because he spent part of his childhood in Cleveland.

But that doesn't explain how one develops more of a Southern accent in his 70s. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, C.S. said:

Broken Skull Sessions with The King is good fun. Probably my favorite episode yet. Likely nothing new for most of us, but still a fun trip down memory lane - especially the Andy Kaufman stuff and stories about Jim Carrey and Man on the Moon. 

King's obvious plastic surgery is a tad bit distracting at first though. Also, it may just be me, but his accent seems slightly more Southern in this setting. Despite him being the King of Memphis Wrestling, he's never really sounded like a Southerner to me before.

I enjoyed it. But I wish Austin talked and reacted more than he did though. It is his show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rovert said:

I enjoyed it. But I wish Austin talked and reacted more than he did though. It is his show.

Isn't Austin's style - at least on these Network shows, or at least it's edited that way - to hang back and let the guest dominate the conversation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, C.S. said:

I know the inclination will be to credit what's-his-name for that, but Brad Armstrong was a hell of a worker and very, very underrated.

But that doesn't explain how one develops more of a Southern accent in his 70s. :D 

Oh yeah, he's always been good. If you listen to a lot of wrestling podcasts like I do, or shoot interviews, many of The Boys over the years have put him over as great too. So maybe an unsung hero to a lot of wrestling fans but I think most here would recognize his talent. 

Speaking of Podcasts and an Armstrong, I know that Jim Cornette isn't everyone's cup of tea - including mine lately - but if you get a chance to hear his words on the end of his Drive-Thru Podcast about the passing of Bullet Bob, they're really great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good thing about Cornette's podcasts is that they get broken up into individual segments on YouTube, and before he posts the clips Brian Last edits a lot of the most inflammatory nonsense, and the majority of the political rhetoric as well.  This way, a few days after the podcast has aired, you can just check out YouTube and peruse the individual topics, rather than having to listen to 3 plus hours of Cornette going insane.  I have been a Cornette fan, but I can't sit through his entire podcasts anymore.  It's just the same shit, week in and week out, over and over. I know Joey Janela sucks, and I agree that Kenny Omega looks and acts like a pretentious dork, but I don't need to hear it every damn week.  I agree though, his Bob Armstrong tribute was very good.  Obviously, Cornette knew the man very well and it was moving to hear how choked up he got discussing him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Broken Skull Sessions with Stone Cold interviewing Kurt Angle is heavy.

Multiple concussions, handled poorly with a "the show must go on" mentality - which was par for the course back then, but still - eventually ending up with Angle becoming a hot mess of drugs, painkillers, and mental issues.

TNA allowing him four DUIs under their watch tells you all you need to know about how incompetent and uncaring Dixie Carter really was. If she wasn't malicious, she was at the very least harmfully naive. Was anyone fooled by her at any point?

Kurt's crappy WWE return where he wasn't allowed to wrestle was heartbreaking, ending with a useless retirement match against Baron Corbin. Kurt was understandably hurt that the red carpet wasn't rolled out for him the way it was for Goldberg (who was mentioned by name, but Kurt said he understood why Goldberg was made champ). But considering how Kurt left the company (there's a story I haven't heard before, which I won't spoil), I can connect the dots and understand why Vince would be skittish to go all in on him again.

I was reminded of Kurt's WM match with Shawn Michaels, which is somewhat of a forgotten unsung classic - although I'm sure everyone at PWO hates it because of Shawn. The build for that was fantastic, with great nostalgia overload.

They also mentioned Benoit several times without ever saying his name, and Guerrero, whose name they obviously did mention.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scary thing for me was the talk about Eddie and him looking white in catering and having cardio problems in the ring. Lots of waring signs about his health, but the WWE did nothing and obviously no proper heath checks were being carried out. I can't believe for a second in any other sport a enlarged heart would be missed by a proper medical examination.

I'm more surprised Vince even let this episode play on the network, will all the concussion talk.

One of the best things I've seen in awhile, Austin may be the best interviewer, even if he did try to rain in Angle on some issues  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 11:40 AM, C.S. said:

I was reminded of Kurt's WM match with Shawn Michaels, which is somewhat of a forgotten unsung classic - although I'm sure everyone at PWO hates it because of Shawn. The build for that was fantastic, with great nostalgia overload.

We hate it actually because of Kurt not Shawn. :) On a more serious note, I remember Shawn being great in the first half of the match, really intense & gritty, but then it devolved into terrible Anglelock bullshit that I loathe. The drama should be in applying the hold NOT in escaping the hold. Escapes should be way more rare. Imagine if everyone freaked out every time (not just the first time) the Anglelock was attempted. It would be the finish over huge. Instead we get these interminable stretches of will he or wont he tap, roll through, ugh. Honestly if there is a pro wrestling Hell, it is watching Anglelock reversals for eternity with no payoff!

This episode sounds really interesting and with Austin's podcast on hiatus since the Pandemic started. I am really jonesing for some Austin's interviews so I will check these out! Glad I checked this page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×