Pro Wrestling Only

The Dream Match that was a nightmare

Road Warriors vs Demolition was definitely considered a Dream Match, but the feud stunk as it was clear that Demo was pretty much done and WWF booked it with the angle, "LOD is here to fuck up these guys who've been imitating us", which was always in the back of the minds of most fans. Front of the mind for me.

Brock Lesnar was in many way the WWE making their version of Goldberg in a lab. I was excited for the match thinking it would go along the lines of Steiner / Goldberg at Fall Brwal 2000 which is one of my top 10 matches; a super physical clash.

But it was pants as we know.

Road Warriors vs Demolition was definitely considered a Dream Match, but the feud stunk as it was clear that Demo was pretty much done and WWF booked it with the angle, "LOD is here to fuck up these guys who've been imitating us", which was always in the back of the minds of most fans. Front of the mind for me.

I think Demos vs LOD/Warrior is a lot of fun but in general, yeah, the feud didn't live up to what it should have been.

It's sad that Hogan and Sting delivered a better match when both both were completely broken down in TNA. I'll defend HBK/Hogan as being fun, and I understand what Shawn was going for even if it was sort of silly. The promo the next night where he essentially said he didn't really lose because it's all a work was the most objectionable thing about that program.

This is stretching the definition of "dream match," but I remember looking forward to Scott Steiner vs. Triple H at Royal Rumble 2003, particularly thinking Steiner in WWE would have some legs after a hot start, and boy did that match end up being a disaster. Sort of started a theme that year for Triple H vs. former WCW stars in matches that almost all ended up being disappointing.

Also: Bret Hart vs. Sting at Halloween Havoc 1998. Not exactly a disaster, but about one-fifth as good as I would have expected.

The best part about Hogan/Michaels was Hogan posing for 20-30 seconds between big boot and leg drop, knowing it was the finish, making Shawn look every bit as foolish as he'd tried to make Hulk look. Did Shawn really think Hogan of all people wouldn't find a way to one-up him in return?

Jumbo Tsuruta and Barry Windham had a match in All Japan that was about the most disappointing thing I can imagine Jumbo Tsuruta and Barry Windham having. On paper that should be, like, absolutely amazing, but it just never got going and was an unbelievably nothing match in the big picture.

The Misawa/Hase match isn't a bad choice. Hase works the arm all match and Misawa just won't sell it. I'm a massive Misawa fan but that match is really hard to find a defense for. Hase/Kawada was just miles better.

Jumbo Tsuruta and Barry Windham had a match in All Japan that was about the most disappointing thing I can imagine Jumbo Tsuruta and Barry Windham having. On paper that should be, like, absolutely amazing, but it just never got going and was an unbelievably nothing match in the big picture.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that one. They were arguably two of the best wrestlers in the world at that time, and the match ended up being…. nothing.

To me Hase never really fit in AJ. I'm far from having seen everything from him there, but most of his big matches were disapointing I thought.

Didn't Bret and Misawa (as Tiger Mask) have a random throwaway match in the late 80's/early 90's that was kind of shitty?

Yeah but that was to be expected. Misawa's style didn't mesh very well with the US workers of the time (he also had a very underwhelming match with Steamboat in 89), and Bret's style certainly did't mesh at all with Japanese workers. Went to a 20 minute draw, headlock galore.