Pro Wrestling Only

Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

At Beyond a Wrestling, running round robin with Busick, Thatcher, Gulak and Edwards. Missed Busick/Gulak and arrived halfway through Thatcher/Edwards.

Holy shit was Thatcher and Busick awesome live. You can see the strain during each hold. I don't think the first throw or strike was attempted until

Ten minutes in. The way they worked every hold as a test of strength was riveting. Thatcher arm work was tremendous and Busick comeback was fucking awesome as always. Perfect escalation to a great finish!

More updates as the next three matches unfold.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peachstate Wrestling Alliance operates in Soup's backyard and they have had some really strong shows this year. I was able to get my hands on some of their DVDs and watched Rick Michaels, Iceberg, Stupid, Simon Sermon, Ace Haven v Sal Rinauro, Dusty Mac, Nigel Sherrod, The Dragon, Tommy Too Much in a WarGames match with elimination rules tonight and was blown away. I had the benefit of seeing in after seeing the street fight from the previous month, but I honestly thought it was a legit MOTYC on first watch as it had atmosphere, authentic violence, good psychology, big spots, solid strikes, great escalation, and some great individual performances. These PWA shows do not have the best DVD quality in terms of production, but I have enjoyed all of them to one degree or another, and they look to have some big shows coming up including their next show which has Cedric Alexander v. Kyle Matthews in the main event, with Jimmy Rave, Mike Posey, Sal Rinauro and others who are lesser known but I really like working on the undercard. Looks like they are loading up their 11/7 show too.

Peachstate can't ever get on MY Schedule as I have seen two really good shows from them this year but the Wargames and July 4th show with the Rave vs. Dean Iron Man, i was unable to attend. The first Dean vs. Rave match was really, really good with Rave getting busting open and creating some great sympathy heat from him. P-Dawg has also been lighting it up as he gets huge heat when he comes out and does his rap gimmick. PWA has done a better job this year of bringing in select "name" guys, establishing a strong Heritage Champion in Rave, and letting the localish talent like Simon, Dusty Mac, Stupid excel in areas that better suit them.

For those who have heard me ranting about the greatness of Jimmy Rave, his versatility and range, and how he works in a live setting, this match that Atlanta Wrestling Entertainment uploaded is a great example of why I think he's been so incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLNA09c08-Q

Match is v. Chris Crunk, a Chattanooga indie guy who has a bad rep with most of the established veterans in the area. Rave is basically Ric Flair in Techwood Drive here, working as the cocky heel ace, who really is that good, and has a cheering section of his own to show for it. He outclasses Crunk, upstages the kid with his own spots, roughhouses him with strikes, et. But he also shows ass when need be, is vulnerable enough to make Crunk look like a true up and comer, bumps and reacts well for the kids stuff, et. That said you never believe Jimmy is really in danger of losing. Crunk's offense registers enough to annoy and inconvenience, but never enough to make you believe that he's on or above Rave's level. The finishing flurry is a great way to kill off a kid who has gotten to big for his britches. Seriously a brilliant Rave match in my view. Imagine Flair at his smartest, having the best possible match v. Sam Houston, and it probably looks something like this. Go out of your way to watch it.

Also everyone subscribe to that channel, because AWE is sitting on a bunch of good stuff, including Rave match v. Chip Day, Ced Alexander, and JT Dunn, a Kyle Matthews v. Trevor Lee match I got a private link to that is really good, Chip Day matches v. Shane Strickland and Andrew Everett that are supposed to be really good, and other stuff. They want to get a 1000 subscribers before they start releasing the stuff so let's get it done.

AWE has released Matthews v. Lee on the their gumshoe streaming site thing they use.

I will have a full review of the show up as soon as I can, but I watched Empire Wrestling's Crazy From The Heat DVD tonight, and it is well worth the 12 bucks. Eclectic card, with great commentary from Dan Wilson, solid production, some cool vignettes and angles, and really good matches, including a great brawl between Rush and Kyle Matthews. The DVD is available to purchase through their website store. While you are there, if you are thinking about buying either of the other DVDs I would strongly suggest the Long Cold Winter 2014 show, which doesn't have a bad match on it, and features two great matches with Andrew Alexander v. Shaun Tempers in a Dog Collar Match, and Ace Rockwell v. Matt Fortune I Quit Match that might be my favorite Empire match ever.

http://www.empirewrestling.net/

AWE has released Matthews v. Lee on the their gumshoe streaming site thing they use.

I will have a full review of the show up as soon as I can, but I watched Empire Wrestling's Crazy From The Heat DVD tonight, and it is well worth the 12 bucks. Eclectic card, with great commentary from Dan Wilson, solid production, some cool vignettes and angles, and really good matches, including a great brawl between Rush and Kyle Matthews. The DVD is available to purchase through their website store. While you are there, if you are thinking about buying either of the other DVDs I would strongly suggest the Long Cold Winter 2014 show, which doesn't have a bad match on it, and features two great matches with Andrew Alexander v. Shaun Tempers in a Dog Collar Match, and Ace Rockwell v. Matt Fortune I Quit Match that might be my favorite Empire match ever.

http://www.empirewrestling.net/

Does the $12 include shipping? Be genuine!

I was there live. The first half was OK, though it had mostly due to the emphasis on crowd pleasing spots rather than ring action. Second half was excellent, with the main event easily the best match of the night.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "easily". I had it at **** and the KUSHIDA / O'Reilly match at ****1/4. All horses for courses though :)

The 1st night of Bola is a weird one. I've watched the first 5 matches and it's pretty mediocre. On top of it it's one dimensional.

I'm about a third of the way through night three and I can tell you that both night two and three are far more varied. I found night one to be a very good but not great show, but only if you like that go go go highspot style, as pretty much every match on night one is a variation of it. Two is significantly better. That being said, the final two matches of night one are two of it's best three match matches in my opinion, as I'd say the six man tag main was the best match, with Ospreay/Andrews second and Fenix/Sydal third.

Night two is a great show. No MOTYC's but three matches a step below that level, all very different. Bailey/Galloway is a great underdog vs. big hoss match, the Lucha Underground guys tag is a balls to the wall spotfest, and Thatcher/Hero is a great blend of matwork and mano a mano brawling. Thatcher in PWG has been such a surprise, as in his first two singles matches there, that crowd has immediately accepted him, even though his style is so different than most of what they see.

Thatcher in PWG has been such a surprise, as in his first two singles matches there, that crowd has immediately accepted him, even though his style is so different than most of what they see.

Yet I still have to argue with blockheads who say he isn't charismatic, isn't over, elicits little reaction, and is only capable of golf claps.

Thatcher in PWG has been such a surprise, as in his first two singles matches there, that crowd has immediately accepted him, even though his style is so different than most of what they see.

Yet I still have to argue with blockheads who say he isn't charismatic, isn't over, elicits little reaction, and is only capable of golf claps.

Dude, you don't HAVE to argue with them, let idiots be idiots

Thatcher's match with Hero at BOLA was fantastic. Kinda wish they had Thatcher win so we got more singles action from him, but it is what it is. Night 2 was easily the best night top to bottom. Really enjoyed every night of the tournament and there only like maybe 3-4 matches I would've got rid of, everything else I was all in on.

I've been reviewing BOLA match by match elsewhere and didn't feel like this was the thread for long form reviews, but there is one match that is so weird I just have to get it out there.

Chris Hero vs. Jack Evans, PWG BOLA 2015, Night Three
This is one of the craziest fucking things I've seen since the last crazy thing Jack Evans did, so, one night.
First off, Jack comes to the ring all taped up, selling the beating he took from Brian Cage. Except he's covered in so much tape around his midsection and on his shoulder that I started to wonder if maybe someone thought Jack was a house and tried to TP him. He is also wearing a ridiculous hat for no apparent reason.
Jack proceeds to grab the house mic after introductions and do another long promo. What you have to remember is that this is a super long show that went five hours plus, started ninety minutes late, and is taking place in a boiling hot building. But Jack talks, and he talks, and he talks. He talks about a shoot interview he just taped, he talks about being the Rock's favourite wrestler, he talks about Chris Hero letting himself go since the last time he saw him (In a legit earnest voice that made it fucking hilarious, even to Hero), he talks about E=MC2, he talks about the fans. The crowd, that was 50/50 for Jack despite all his previous heeling, is 85/15 against him by the end of the promo, screaming for him to shut up, screaming for Hero to kill him.
Then it gets crazier. First of all, I don't know why Jack Evans decided that on each of the three nights of BOLA he was going to take three separate, different crazy bumps where he flies over the top rope and completely crashes and burns on the floor with no one else even so much as touching him, but he did. This match is pretty much a Hero mauling from the get go, with Chris getting almost all the offence. But then it gets weirder. Jack Evans kicks out at one. Every time. He doesn't do it the New Japan way either where he no sells and hulks up, no, he kicks out EMPHATICALLY at one every time, but then immediately sells it like he's dead. At one point he neck bridges out of a pin at one and then immediately drops back down like he's near death. The whole point is this cocky, arrogant prick not only refuses to lose, he won't even stay down for a two count.
The problem is, Jack Evans, who had spent all weekend trying to get heel heat, who by the start of this match had become one of the only wrestlers in years to get 80 percent heel heat from a PWG crowd, turns himself babyface with this match structure. He's the ultimate underdog Jack, even if he's an asshole, and before long the crowd is chanting "You can't beat him" and "One" and popping big for every kickout. Hero, who had been very friendly and playful all through the start of the match, plays to the crowd beautifully, getting more and more angry. At one point he starts chopping and kicking Jack in two's, just so he can get a two count.
Jack gets just as much offence as you'd like him to, a couple flurries, a couple flash pin attempts to make you think he's getting the upset. Hero finally kills him with this brutal looking short piledriver, and a Rainmaker version of an elbow smash. Hero not only has been working hard to re-establish piledrivers as a finisher in wrestling, but he has some of the most brutal ones I've seen.
This match was all story. It told the story incredibly well. I don't know if it was the right story to tell if Jack truly wanted to be a heel in PWG, but it was a sight to see. I won't forget this match for a long time.

Goofy douchebag Hero really is the best. I watched him teaming with Teddy Hart against Joe and MVP from Jersey All Pro the other day. Not a good match, but watching Hero come out wearing one of Teddy's custom tailored velvet suits, taunting Joe, and just being a fucking goofball; it was just hilarious.

My favorite goofy douchebag Hero moment was from Death Before a Dishonor V Night One when he faced Nigel in a Pure Rules match. The lights go out at the start of the match for the Project 161 shit, and then they return and Hero whispers into the ring announcer's ear, leading to the declaration of "Chris Hero would like to inform the referee that when the lights were out Nigel McGuinness used all three of his rope breaks." It was such a slimy and minor thing that defined that era of his career.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend, FIP ran a trios tourney featuring guys from Inidie promotions all over the country like IWA MS, Mr. Hughes's promotion/school WWA4 and some other midwest promotions. I missed night one but apparently it was really good and one of the better shows of the year. JImmy Rave was on night one but he got eliminated so he didn't work night 2. That's a bummer cause I wanted to see one of the best wrestlers in the world live at least once this year.

I went to night two which took place in the Orlando suburb of Oviedo Florida. The venue was a legit Cross fit gym. When I was waiting to get in(the show started 30 minutes late) the gym said the max capacity was 200. Sadly this show only drew about 50-75 people I would say if you count to two dogs and Kris Kristofferson. The venue had no seats, only benches from the locker room for the people that bought front row seats. So I had to stand the whole time and the show went from 7:30 to about 10:30 with no intermission.

As for the show, It was good but felt very long seeing all those multiman matches. I haven't heard of about 3/4ths of the guys. Some were really impressive like Team IOU(Kerry Awful and Nick Iggy) with partner Jake Dirden who were the winners of the event. Awful is this big guy who takes nutty bumps while Iggy is the pretty boy heel. I've seen them on NWA SAW a couple times. Another impressive guy was Sonny Kiss from Tier one wrestling. Sonny does an exotico gimmick which is something to see. He's very entertaining and is not that bad in the ring. The whole team from Freelance wrestling was pretty good. I always dig a fat guy that does a springboard moonsalt.

I know Dylan was really pushing Pete Kaasa from Trans-South wrestling. Apparently he looked great on night one. He looked good on night two as he did 3 630 splashes in a row. Some hit better than others but that's impressive. I think he'll be on WWE's radar sooner than later if he still works for WWN. It was cool seeing the IWA MS guys: Reed Bentley, John Wayne Murdoch and Trik Davis who i've heard a lot about but never seen. Murdoch looks so much like Trevor it's eerie. They had a good brawl with the Viking War Party who are this little guy, a guy that looks like Brody and a guy that looks like 1998 Vader. Poor Bentley almost got his neck broken by a botched piledriver.

Worst match of the night was the Fray. The Fray is WWN's version of a gauntlet match. I swear it felt like this match had more guys in it than fans in the building. It had some real shitty fat guys in it but the final 4 was real good . The final 4 were Ethan Case, Black Baron, Jason Cade and Stitch Osiris. Cade is a local guy who works FIP/Evolve shows and other ones down in the Tampa/Miami area. He's a good high flyer. Case is from PWX in North Carolina and is this blonde jacked up guy. He wasn't too bad but wasn't in long either. The final two were Osiris and Baron. Baron looks like Big E's twin brother. Powerful dude who was throwing Osiris around like a toothpick. Osiris won and got to face Maxwell Chicago for the FIP Heritage belt. I liked the title match but seems most people hated it. Probably wasn't a good idea to run it after all those trios matches and Maxwell is an acquired taste. Lots of people hate him but I find him to be one of the more entertaining guys in Florida.

I'll have more to say when I can watch night two, but night one was in fact a great show. Tons of variety, eclectic stuff, some great vets and up and comers, et. One of my favorite shows of the year top to bottom because it was a perfect mix of the absurd, exciting, and crafty world that is modern indie wrestling when it's done right. Lots of standouts on that show to be sure.

I will note that Rave and the rest of the AWE gang were eliminated on Night One because one of the bigger shows in the state of Georgia this year took place in Rome with Rave v. Davey Richards, Chip Day v. Carlito, Dreamer v. Stevie Richards hardcore brawl, Caleb Konley v. John Skyler v. Corey Hollis (who were all on night one of the FIP show as well), plus guys like Murder One, P Dawg Mike Posey, et. on the undercard. Show was said to be very good, they sold out the place at somewhere between 600-700 paid allegedly, but I saw clips on periscope and I would have figured a slightly larger crowd than that.

Rave's crazy weekend continues today as he works Davey Vega (who was also in the FIP tournament) for AWE at the final wrestling show at the Atlanta Masquerade club on a show that also has Tommy Dreamer and Moose v. Murder One and Iceberg (I'd kill to see that match), Chip Day v. Adrian Amour, and Team IOU v. Will Huckaby and Joe Black.