Pro Wrestling Only

Ron Garvin

Grimmas

I'm a big Valentine fan, and I never understood the hype behind those WWF Garvin vs Valentine matches at all. Yeah, they hit each other really hard.

No idea about Garvin, I've not seen nearly enough to have an educated opinion. Better than Jimmy.

I'm a big Valentine fan, and I never understood the hype behind those WWF Garvin vs Valentine matches at all. Yeah, they hit each other really hard.

No idea about Garvin, I've not seen nearly enough to have an educated opinion. Better than Jimmy.

I like Garvin a lot but I'm with you on the WWF matches vs. Valentine. I don't really know how they can be considered some of the best WWF matches of all time.

From in-ring match quality, what WWF pairings are better? I had both the submission match and the MSG match very high during the SC poll of best WWE. I could see Tito-Valentine, Sarge-Sheik, Savage-Steamboat being considered better. I like Backlund-Valentine a lot too. Benoit-Regal was awesome.

It's a somewhat dubious achievement in that there aren't many elite WWF matches period, and few feuds that produced multiple great matches. Garvin and Valentine only have those two from what I know. But saying they're "among the best" doesn't seem hyperbolic given what they'd be compared to.

I could see Hart/Hennig up there if that's more in somebody's wheelhouse, between the multiple '89 encounters and the PPV matches. Rude/Warrior for the "oddball alchemy" factor, though it isn't on the elite level. I've never seen a Savage/Santana I didn't like, though only one (two, but they're from the same point in the feud and very similar) of them really ascends to classic status.

As for Valentine/Garvin, there's a Maple Leaf match from a week after the MSG match, but needless to say it's not very different.

I've come to appreciate Santana/Valentine, Santana/Savage, and Savage/Steamboat as the Holy Trinity of workrate Intercontinental blood feuds.

Nothing touches Sarge/Sheik though.

For 90's stuff, I think Bret/Austin, Michaels/Taker, and Bret/Owen are the top guns. Bret and Austin actually had 5 matches (and the RAW Street Fight) that made tape and they're all ace in my book. Worth noting that none of these touch the 80's stuff in terms of build and especially payoff.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I saw this yesterday for the first time whilst watching my SMW TV set and thought it was pretty awesome. It was a video piece that aired on the TV show to build for Ron Garvin's arrival to team with Brian Lee against Tony Anthony & Paul Orndorff. It was enough to give poor old Ron Wright a near heart attack the way he say Garvin handling Andre the Giant!

• 5 years later...

I voted for Ron Garvin 59th in 2016 and I feel great about that. Maybe a little high but then I think about the Tully match. And the Flair matches my god. I watched a 3/86 Cage match between Garvin & Flair I'd never even heard of and its so absurdly great I couldn't even believe it. Just exudes toughness. Garvin is fucking awesome.