Pro Wrestling Only

Killer Khan

Grimmas

Definitely one of the great big-match workers ever. I'm not sure if his "middling" performances are quite up to par enough to put him in a list.

Khan's best:

Killer Khan vs. Andre the Giant (4/1/82)

Killer Khan vs. Terry Gordy (Texas Death Match, 11/22/84)

Killer Khan vs. Stan Hansen (5/14/85)

Killer Khan vs. Riki Choshu (7/31/86)

It's not that his non-"big" matches don't have good performances in them--there's a match vs. Chris Adams on the MId-South set that I liked quite a bit. But Khan was a guy who tended to raise and lower himself to the level of the match that he was in.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Killer Khan A LOT. The Andre match in Japan, the Texas Death Match, the match with Choshu, I loved all those matches. But I've only really seen him shine in his biggest matches outside of that one Chris Adams match from Mid-South which wouldn't really fit the "big match" label. I'm not sure how he is as an every night performer. I know there was a tag match involving him & Dick Murdoch on opposite sides in Japan that I was looking forward to on a Murdoch set but Khan didn't really do anything in that match and it let me down. Also watched a match of his vs. Dusty Rhodes from MSG a few weeks ago that didn't do much for me either. And I didn't think much of the Hogan match I saw.

I'd love for someone to come along and show me more awesome Khan performances to seek out however.

• 5 months later...

I didn't think much of the Hogan match I saw.

Was this the match from Boston in 1987? because I just watched that and thought it was really good, although I think Hogan's performance was much better than Khan's.

And seeing as this is supposed to be Khan's thread; he won't be making my list only seen 5 of his matches but these are supposedly some of his best and these highs aren't close to high enough especially if he's consistently worse than that in other matches.

Khan is a pure character guy, but one who I'd rate much more highly than someone like Kamala or the Wild Samoans. Becaus he was very expressive, vocal, and his offense brought home the real "savagery" of the gimmick much more than the other guys.

His career high from a big-time point of view was probably the feud in WWF with Andre from 81 which we've been slowly watching play out on Titans. I'm looking forward to the blow off of the injury angle later in the year.

Khan was a travelling territorial heel a notch below guys like Ivan Koloff or Ernie Ladd. He was a generation on from those guys and at least a tier below. And it is reflected in the sorts of places he'd get bookings (Texas, Stampede -- second tier NWA promotions).

I don't think he'll make my 100, but he was good at what he did. Maybe ten years previously or ten years later, he might have been a big star, but his career came at a weird time for gimmick heels. And by 87, the landscape wasn't quite right for him beyond a couple of shots with Hogan.

• 4 months later...

Think Parv's placing him below Ivan and Ladd, but way above Kamala and The Samoans is spot on. I like Khan, but he won't make my 100 either. I haven't seen the 82 Andre match in quite a while, but remember being quite into that one. Solid, but I agree with the point that he was maybe a bit unfortunate timing wise. Could have been really big a decade earlier.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Did anyone rank Khan in the end?

He's on my tentative list. He may drop off, but if I had to submit today he would make it. He'll be in the 90s, though. Too many all time great matches and performances to dismiss.

He's sort of like a mini-Sgt Slaughter in terms of being a greatest hits candidate. But Khan is a ten-track single disc and Slaughter is a double-disc duluxe set with a couple of hidden gem album tracks out there too.

Did anyone rank Khan in the end?

He's on my tentative list. He may drop off, but if I had to submit today he would make it. He'll be in the 90s, though. Too many all time great matches and performances to dismiss.

He's sort of like a mini-Sgt Slaughter in terms of being a greatest hits candidate. But Khan is a ten-track single disc and Slaughter is a double-disc duluxe set with a couple of hidden gem album tracks out there too.

Seems fair. Slaughter is on my list and higher.

Sort of amazing that Khan had a singles match make the top 10 of three different DVDVR sets and yet he won't make most ballots. But the ten-track single disc is a pretty good summation of his career, and that wasn't enough to put him in serious contention for me.

• 5 years later...

Trying to go through some of these folks that haven't been bumped up and giving at least giving a quick rub to bring them into contention if they might make sense on my ballot. Watched Khan vs. Fujinami from 11/3/83 last night and it was a real humdinger. A lot of it is Khan being good at existing in a large body but there were some lovely touches like adjusting his teeth cause he got hit so hard. The consensus seems to be that he was just a great big match worker. When I get down to it, that might be the same conclusion I reach. Right now that I think he's worth exploring and hopefully I'll be able to piece together more on how lazy this dude actually is.