Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

KAIRI vs Tam Nakano at the Tokyo Dome. People unfamiliar ain't ready for the brillance that is Tam Nakano.

Omega vs Ospreay at the Tokyo Dome ? A QUADRILLION STARS (deserved too)

WK already feels like the WK of old on paper. Legit excited about it now with what's announced thus far.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assume that the AEW presence for Wrestle Kingdom is gonna be limited because it's on a Wednesday (and Thursday) and with Dynamite taking place on the same date, TK won't want to send too many people there. So I think that FTR are gonna be the only other AEW representatives for the show.

Question now is; who are gonna be the challengers?

19 minutes ago, El-P said:

As far as the challengers for FTR, looking at the World Tag League teams, I'd say either SANADA & Naito either Aussie Open.

Those seem like the only two acceptable options, really. (I wouldn't argue with Suzuki and Archer but I don't think that's a likely direction.) Anything else feels like a waste of FTR.

NJPW X Stardom show was just tons of fun. We need more crossover shows like this. Totally makes you want to follow both promotions, as it freshens the perception, although really Stardom doesn't need it right now, they look hot enough on their own. And NJPW looks better too already with Umino coming back, the new women's title, Omega vs Ospreay at the Dome. Hopefully things pick up in 2023 after the very dire and depressing pandemic years.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to observing New Japan here, so quick question…

The World Tag League finals are tomorrow, between Yoshi-Hashi & Goto against Aussie Open…and whoever wins that gets FTR at Wrestle Kingdom?

Is there a good website that anybody here uses to keep up to date on all the latest New Japan news? Way back in the day I used to go to Strong Style Spirit but that appears to be long gone.

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

The World Tag League finals are tomorrow, between Yoshi-Hashi & Goto against Aussie Open…and whoever wins that gets FTR at Wrestle Kingdom?

Yes, and Aussie/FTR had a banger match earlier this year so I wouldn't mind seeing them run it back at the Dome. 

45 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Yes, and Aussie/FTR had a banger match earlier this year so I wouldn't mind seeing them run it back at the Dome. 

That was the match in England from Night 1 of Royal Quest in October? Yes, I just saw that match this past weekend and was quite impressed. I think a rematch would probably be a great idea.

I am a little terrified of Goto/Yoshi-Hashi winning since they dropped the fall to Aussie Open in the group stage. Really want Aussie Open-FTR again in the Dome.

The card also has Karl Anderson defending the NEVER Title against Hikuleo (if Anderson's working the Dome, presumably we'll learn his opponent), Lio Rush and YOH against Ace Austin and Chris Bey in the Junior Tag League finals (both teams have been good and I really like the Rush/Yoh team) and presumably some other angles for the Dome.

11 hours ago, Migs said:

I am a little terrified of Goto/Yoshi-Hashi winning since they dropped the fall to Aussie Open in the group stage. Really want Aussie Open-FTR again in the Dome.

Bummed to be right about this one. Match was good, although the lack of a cheering crowd seemed to hurt until the very end.

Hoping they are saving FTR-Aussie Open II for a spot down the line where it can main event (maybe in England or Australia?).

Karl Anderson as a WWE representative on a show that will have Omega as a co-main event and Mercedes Don't Call Me Sasha Anymore making an appearance, probably to challenge a Stardom worker who used to be in WWE, in quite an unexpected thing to begin 2023. Too bad Ace Austin & Chris Bey did not win the junior tag tournament, it would have added an IMPACT presence on the show as well (plus really, they are awesome, and as much as I like Lio Rush, there's always a possibility he retires before the Tokyo Dome, and Yoh is just kinda there to me).

Yeah, I was hoping for Aussie Open vs FTR at the Dome. Goto & Yoshi-Hashi vs FTR will probably still be really good, but not a show-stealer. Wonder of that means FTR have a chance to retain. Probably not. NJPW probably want their titles back on regulars now.

One interesting thing is that Shibata is working the Inoki Bom Ba Ye show, against Tom Lawlor, which should be pretty fun. But he doesn't seel to have anything to do at the Dome. Seems like NJPW isn't too keen on booking him after he went into business for himself. Maybe with good reasons too. The Orange match went very well, but I won't lie that I'm kinda dreading what could eventually happen.

• 3 weeks later...

less than an hour away from WK, here's the lineup:

Antonio Inoki Memorial Match:

Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima, and Togi Makabe vs Tatsumi Fujinami, Minoru Suzuki, and Tiger Mask

IWGP Jr. Tag title match:

TJP and Francesco Akira (c) vs Lio Rush and Yoh

IWGP Women's title match:

KAIRI (c) vs Tam Nakano (this is where everyone expects the Artist Formerly Known as Sasha Banks to appear)

IWGP tag title match:

FTR (c) vs Hirooki Goto and Yoshi-Hashi

NJPW TV title tournament final:

Zack Sabre Jr vs Ren Narita

NEVER Openweight title match:

Karl Anderson (c) vs Tama Tonga

Keiji Muto Final NJPW Match:

Keiji Muto, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and Shota Umino vs Tetsuya Naito, Sanada, and Bushi

4 way for the IWGP Jr title:

Taiji Ishimori (c) vs El Desperado vs Hiromu Takahashi vs Master Wato

IWGP US title match: 

WIll Ospreay (c) vs Kenny Omega

IWGP World title match:

Jay White (c) vs Kazuchika Okada