Current New Japan

pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mercedes v. Kairi was absolutely fantastic with a really hot crowd. Perhaps not the kind of match that Meltz might give 5 stars to, perhaps, but I enjoyed it far more than so many matches he has rated 5 and above. Mercedes drew the house, and the fans treated her likewise. Also, knowing how much @Matt D loves struggle and logical escalation in his wrestling, I definitely recommend this match to him. 

33 minutes ago, MoS said:

Mercedes v. Kairi was absolutely fantastic with a really hot crowd. Perhaps not the kind of match that Meltz might give 5 stars to, perhaps, but I enjoyed it far more than so many matches he has rated 5 and above. Mercedes drew the house, and the fans treated her likewise. Also, knowing how much @Matt D loves struggle and logical escalation in his wrestling, I definitely recommend this match to him. 

I was on the fence but I'll check it out this week. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Although the angle itself was oddly nonchalant, I do like the move of Sanada aligning with Taichi. Both felt like they had been sort of stuck behind others, and this should at least give them a chance to sink or swim out front. I still think it was an incredibly bad decision to drop the IC title at a time when they had so many guys who were a couple of steps away from the top - it just feels like there's no clear step between the mid-card and the World title for them. That said, Sanada looks like the most likely winner of the Cup at this point, and I'd honestly consider putting him over Okada in April to give everything a fresh direction. It would feel out of nowhere, but who else besides Okada at this point can he beat to step up? Can always go back to Okada at Dominion.

• 2 weeks later...

I was underwhelmed when I saw Henare would be main-eventing the last Tamashii Melbourne show, but up close and personal on the night he really won me over. Definitely a Meat Slapper of the highest order. Just watched the Ultimate Triad match and was pleased for him (not-so-pleased for his or Shingo's brains from that headbutt exchange).

Shingo vs Robbie Eagles headlines the next Tamashii Melbourne show in a fortnight. 

Sakura Genesis has an interesting series of big matches line-up. Okada vs Sanada we've seen before, but it's a "new" Sanada, maybe he'll approach his match with a different twist, although I highly doubt Okada is losing to him. But Takahashi vs Robbie Eagles, Bishamon vs Aussie Open and ZSJ vs Shota Umino are really excellent on paper and seem fresh, which has not been the case for a while in NJ. And then of course we have Mercedes debut in Japan against Hazuki and AZM, hopefully they get enough time, all three are terrific workers and I look forward to this one very much.

I'm betting 20 bucks that Sanada wrestles the exact same as before but with a few new moves lol. People thought he'd be a different man when he left AJPW/W-1 and became the Cold Skeleton.....and he was, just with a few new moves, same boring wrestling though. Great look, great potential, utterly dire at being interesting though. Maybe Okada like Suwama before him can drag this guy to something special again. I'd like Okada to lose just for the chaos afterwards, but it isn't happening. 

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Sakura Genesis has an interesting series of big matches line-up. Okada vs Sanada we've seen before, but it's a "new" Sanada, maybe he'll approach his match with a different twist, although I highly doubt Okada is losing to him. But Takahashi vs Robbie Eagles, Bishamon vs Aussie Open and ZSJ vs Shota Umino are really excellent on paper and seem fresh, which has not been the case for a while in NJ. And then of course we have Mercedes debut in Japan against Hazuki and AZM, hopefully they get enough time, all three are terrific workers and I look forward to this one very much.

Holy Shit that poison 'rana from the top onto Hiromu.

Started watching Sakura Genesis from the ladies match and it's been an excellent night's viewing. The three-way was inorganic as fuck but interesting, Shota/Zack was an excellent TV Title match, Aussie Open are one of the best teams in the world and Robbie Eagles/Hiromu was very good.

Okada vs Meh still to come.

Mercedes Moné living her best life working against Japanese women is some of the most happy-inducing stuff I've seen in a while. Match was terrific in a very High Speed way, a context in which both AZM and Hazuki rules hard, and Moné was right there with them. Enjoy it while it lasts (amazing how Kevin Kelly even dropped the legit fact she costs a lot of money into the dynamics of the entire thing, but more on that later).

Shota vs ZSJ was terrific, Aussie Open vs Bishomon was the match of the night (damn, poor Fletcher though, that cut was brutal), so cool to see Aussie Open finally get to this level (and get over big with the Japanese crowd), Hiromu vs Eagles was excellent (damn, that fan in the first row with the Australian flag got more than she wished for, a damn Robbie Eagles foot in her face, they actually gave her a pack of ice) although I still don't get as high on Hiromu as many, and watching Okada vs anyone is watching a master at work. Not sold on SANADA at all, but hey, it was time to pull the trigger if they ever did, if EVIL could win the big one, why not him. The Muto references were nice, his new finisher certainly is more dynamic than the damn neck stretch. If anything, NJPW feels very refreshed right now, which is something they have been needing for a while, even before the pandemic hit.

And Kevin Kelly is such an amazing announcer. He puts so much subtle elements in his storytelling, is great at drama but also knows when to get light and humorous, knows when to shut the fuck up and let the action breathe. When all is said and done, this guy is right up there at the very, very top.

Genesis was a fun show, I wasn't expecting them to pull the trigger on SANADA this quickly, but apparently Gedo isn't fucking around with this guy.  

Funny how I seem to recall there being a lot of buzz around him when he came back from his excursion in TNA, but then he was just some dude in the background of LIJ. I don't know what made them think he was suddenly The Guy, but they certainly did everything possible to kick it off as strong as possible. 

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

I don't know what made them think he was suddenly The Guy, but they certainly did everything possible to kick it off as strong as possible. 

It's less a matter of him becoming The Guy, which he'll never be, rather than shaking things up at the top and trying to make a new main eventer in the wake of losing both Ibushi for good and Jay White. EVIL did not work, on any level, and one can argue it sucked the life out of what he was in LIJ, and although SANADA lacks charisma, he's got a better chance with this new presentation as a more streamlined, good looking, Muto offshoot (which he was in his early days, and really I'd give him back the classic YMO remix track he had when he was young in AJPW, so he pays hommage to Sakamoto and Takahashi too).

The El Phantasmo babyface turn was also a welcome change. When he's not doing comedy, the guy is a great worker and knows how to get over.

I've said it before, but here it is again - NJPW never should have ditched the IC title. Holding that was the next step Sanada needed 3+ years ago when he was falling just short against Okada and in G1 finals. Thankfully for them, the push now seems to be succeeding at some level (he was getting cheered in the match with Okada). I don't think he's main eventing Wrestle Kingdom, but if they can just get him up to a higher level where he can main event some B shows, there'll have been some value in this.

On 4/9/2023 at 3:11 PM, NintendoLogic said:

Looks like those of you who have been wanting the company to do more interpromotional stuff are about to get your wish.

It's another All Together show (in Sumo Hall). Hopefully they learned from the latests NJPW/NOAH shows and book matches that are actually compelling.