Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

1 minute ago, NintendoLogic said:

Not quite a full-fledged joint show, but AJW sent wrestlers to work Hamada's UWF shows in the early 90s. And Big Egg Universe featured a Michinoku Pro trios match.

I've heard about the Big Egg show but I don't think I've ever seen it. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CyberFight festival every year has matches from NOAH, DDT, and TJPW.

But yeah, this joint show will be huge for Stardom and get a hell of a lot of eyes on them. Starlight Kid, Tanahashi, and Mayu Iwatani all mentioned that they wanted mixed tags so it seems like that's what the card will be made up of.

It's wild to see the Imapct X Division champ and a match to get into the AEW Interim World title on a major New Japan show.

Plus they are walking the tightrope still partnering with CMLL when AEW and Impact work with AAA (it's also why FTR haven't been carrying the AAA belts while New Japan folks are appearing to promote Forbidden Door)

G-1 Climax is 4 blocks of 7 this year. Some notable first-timers include Filthy Tom Lawlor and JONAH. Only one AEW representative, though, and it's Lance Archer. Hopefully things are less up in the air next year and AEW can plan on Danielson being gone for a month. Deep lineup but maybe a minor disappointment given the lack of fresh names. The Japanese fans were hyped to see Archer come back, though.

What a shitty lineup for the G-1 I'm done with this company until they book Miro or Danielson. They have nothing I'm interested in at this point, they refuse to do anything compelling with their own roster (I gave up on this like 3 years ago, but it continues to be an issue) and can't even take advantage of their working relationship with other promotions. SMH.

Also :lol: at Okada having a nothing title reign when people thought he was a safety valve to right the ship after the damage they took during the pandemic. 

None of the results from Dominion were surprising, but that G1 lineup left me feeling meh. With all these working relationships New Japan have cultivated with AEW and Impact, I thought this would be the most exciting year to shake things up. Also, I would've loved El Desperado to be an entrant; he proved he could hang with the heavyweights in his match with Okada.

That G1 field is dire. Increasing to 28 and this year being their 50th anniversary, you'd think they'd insert some real surprises, like a couple of AEW guys (Lance Archer is a nice pick though), some Stronghearts guys like T-Hawk or Irie, some Jrs like Desperado or Hiromu, and maybe even a Young Lion (Karl Friedricks on Twitter allude to some disappointment at his lack of inclusion), but no. Chase Owens and Toa Henare it is.

1 hour ago, kas said:

That G1 field is dire. Increasing to 28 and this year being their 50th anniversary, you'd think they'd insert some real surprises, like a couple of AEW guys (Lance Archer is a nice pick though), some Stronghearts guys like T-Hawk or Irie, some Jrs like Desperado or Hiromu, and maybe even a Young Lion (Karl Friedricks on Twitter allude to some disappointment at his lack of inclusion), but no. Chase Owens and Toa Henare it is.

AEW guys seem to be all booked up it seems lol. T-Hawk is busy in GLEAT/AJPW and Irie isn't much better in terms of commitments. 

Would've also liked some surprises as you said but a lot of this is simply down to logistics, the current restrictions are still pretty bad and AEW seem to be needing a lot of their bigger stars at the moment and can't afford to be throwing them around to big, exhausting commitments like the G1. I'm not sure who would even show up from Impact that would be appropriate. The structure of the G1 means that some guys will be inherently eating pins, so as much as it sucks to say, guys like Owens are essential 

A lot of the logistics issues should be more solvable now that it's just 6 matches per wrestler for the tournament. You can book around that and not have people work the entire 6 weeks tour. I feel New Japan has long gave up on putting any kind of effort on giving fans new exciting things and are just like WWE, just do the bare minimum and be content with it.

And AEW's booking philosophy is predicated on the fact people can go in and out of the card (or up and down) so taking 3 weeks out, pre taping some stuff, show up on week 4 and then go back to Japan to finish the tour doesn't seems like an impossible feat. It's not like Keith Lee, Miro, Eddie, PAC, Andrade, etc. will be on TV weekly doing must see or important stuff anyway. All of them will have 1 big match then either not be booked or do filler matches or promos . I don't think it's an impossible task to get them to work the G1 if you actually put some effort and try to make it work.

Same could be said for other promotions (in and outside Japan) too, NJ just refuses to even try shit out.

2 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

You're right about the logistics but would've been cool seeing guys like Moose and Keith Lee in the fold

Moose is one of IMPACT's biggest guys and probably one of the few consistently "big" main event acts they got, I doubt they would've let him go: would've been a good choice through.

Lee would've been a great choice a few years ago but his cardio post-COVID has been really badly effected and I'm very sceptical he could work something like this given guys like Jeff Cobb in the past have gassed out hard. 

2 hours ago, Ma Stump Puller said:

Lee would've been a great choice a few years ago but his cardio post-COVID has been really badly effected and I'm very sceptical he could work something like this given guys like Jeff Cobb in the past have gassed out hard. 

Keith Lee can't work 6 tournament matches in 1 month? for real??

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Keith Lee can't work 6 tournament matches in 1 month? for real??

His longest match in AEW in singles thus far was a sub-10 minute match that only picked steam in the last few minutes and used shortcuts. Maybe he can work a lighter series than average G1 outings but I doubt they would be any more effective than earlier Cobb outings. 

So Andrade just came out and said he can't appear in NJPW due to the endless grudge CMLL has with AAA. Basically despite everyone that New Japan works with also works with AAA (and CMLL doesn't allow their people on the same shows where AAA guys appear), they can't have guys like Andrade, the Lucha Bros, or Sammy on  their shows because they make money when CMLL sends guys over for Fantastica Mania shows. They don't want to end their partnership, but I'm sure Bushiroad doesn't want to hear the Alonso family bitching at them all the time either. 

Jonah in the G1 is awesome. Aaron Henare actually is really cool too (he's gotten really REALLY good). Tom Lawlor will probably get over because he's a douchebag, but as far as match quality goes...

But inflating the numbers of participants and matches so much to end up with so few actual added value is pretty deflating. Of course you got White and Ospreay back this year, to this is a HUGE plus (let's be real, it still will end up being a ridiculous amount of great matches). But come one. Archer is like Scott Norton from WCW coming back to NJPW. It's cool, but it's not new or different. Hopefully Pieter comes out with Takahashi this year again. That's his only saving grace. No cool Young Lion, no cool veteran, no junior apart from Phantasmo (who is excellent, but will probably end up doing jobs for Takahashi), no odd surprising entry. 

But yeah, guys like PAC in the G1 would have been so awesome. Not to mention Kingston.

Now, I must say, a long, meaningful Jay White stint as IWGP champ is not the worse thing. He's sooooo great now. 

And if ZSJ vs Danielson happens. Holy shit. Dreams are made of this.

14 hours ago, Ma Stump Puller said:

His longest match in AEW in singles thus far was a sub-10 minute match that only picked steam in the last few minutes and used shortcuts. Maybe he can work a lighter series than average G1 outings but I doubt they would be any more effective than earlier Cobb outings. 

Tbh more sub-10 minute matches is exactly what the G1 needs at this point. There's no reason why a monster like Keith Lee couldn't beat a lot of the announced guys this year in 10 minutes, other than the Gedo fetish of going long for the sake of it.

Watching Dominion, yeah, the undercard is SO there, Tana vs Goto was on cruise control, SANADA had his "I'm doing the job" boots (ok a bit harsh, but it was very much Ospreay working a low-key match that had no suspens, SANADA did not even try to go the extra mile I felt), but Taichi vs Takagi was a very fun different kind of gimmick, very well worked, Anderson vs Tama way overdelivered (Tama as a babyface is so much better and Anderson looked elated to work a big single match in Japan again, hasn't looked that good in forever) and White vs Okada was, well, just a classic. Jay White is by far my favorite pro-wrestler today, he's been such a joy to watch all year long. Ospreay has had the most impressive pure big performances (the Tokyo Dome matches, the ZSJ mat classic and the Micheal Oku England match), Danielson and Adam Page have been great, but Jay White has been the best pro-wrestler this year night in night out whether in small of big context (his stuff on NJPW Strong and IMPACT was terrific). He's just so compelling, the amount of small details in his game is ri-di-cu-lous. And what a classic promo he cut after this match too. He's reaching a peak in 2022, and I'm loving every single second of it. 

It absolutely dilutes the whole G1 by excluding so many awesome matches that could have happened. I mean, D-Block has Ospreay vs Shingo and that's it. That's such a bad idea. NJ's booking of their 50th year anniversary events has been so dull and underwhelming to say the least.

Block A caters to the BMMSM Kru (Archer, Cobb, Fale, Jonah) and makes sure Okada is kayfabe badly beaten up for the finals.

Jay Block caters to the Jay White fans as he thrashes the lower NJPW life forms, making sure he is kayfabe fresh for the finals.

C Block is, of course, the Group of Death. For the fantasy bookers out there.

D Block is like when you rummage whatever's left in the fridge and pantry because Will and Shingo popped in unexpectedly for dinner.