Current New Japan

pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it was an honest-to-God riot. It led to New Japan being banned from Sumo Hall for over a year. As @Ma Stump Puller stated, though, the actual cause was a booking bait-and-switch. The advertised main event, and the match the fans were clearly most eager to see, was Inoki vs. Riki Choshu. Long story short, massive amounts of fuckery ensued and caused the card to change. Inoki/Choshu did take place, but it went six minutes and ended with a run-in.

Did You Know? You need more Zack Sabre vs Tom Lawlor in your life. 

As for the semis, Naito is yesterday's newspaper compared to Ospreay so I'd go with Willy.

Tama...only seems to win because he's booked to win (yeah, yeah...). I mean, he's not outstanding at anything, he doesn't have a greater offence or slicker mat skills or can brawl with the Hansens of the world, his "fighting spirit" is nothing special, but here we are....
Okada has to win this. Okada vs Ospreay is the only "money-match" of the possible outcomes.

Looking to the future, New Japan are sitting pretty with their foreigners - White, Ospreay, ZSJ, Cobb, Jonah, Lawlor, the other El-P, chuck Finlay in there too. Plus whoever they can snaffle from AEW.

Natives? Hiromu, obviously. But who of the heavyweights have their best days ahead of them? Sho and Yoh are disappointing, Sanada probably means well, EVIL must know he's shit. Yoshi-Hashi? Pfffffft. O-Khan? I'm really drawing a blank. 

Fantastic match. Great spots and sequences, well-paced, well-timed, well-executed. That

Spoiler

One-Winged Angel

spot had the crowd forgetting the rules. (And even got me, home alone, to audibly gasp.) Amazing counters throughout. Wonderful story wonderfully told by two of the best.

My God that match. Maybe the best pandemic era NJPW match (either this or Okada vs Naito 1).

Spoiler

The OWA, V-Trigger, Dropkick Oscutter counter, and spinning Emerald Flowsion spots made me jump out of my seat.

As for future HW stars, most of them are their excursion guys (Ren Narita, Shota Umino, Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura), but I'd also say that SANADA they could push at any time because the crowd love him.

8 hours ago, kas said:

As for future HW stars, most of them are their excursion guys (Ren Narita, Shota Umino, Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura), but I'd also say that SANADA they could push at any time because the crowd love him.

Those four all look pretty damn good for young lions imo. If New Japan was bold they would give all four of them decent pushes upon their return to Japan and see what sticks. 

Only watching the final, after being spoiled no less, is kinda watching a season finale without the journey. But then again, holy hell what a classic match that was. The idea that Okada should be pushed off his throne is ludicrous, as showed by this exact kind of performance. This guy can go until he's 40, he just needs more great opponents to sink his teeth in. When all is said and done, his resume, which is already mind-blowing, would have no equivalent. He's the Hakuho of pro-wrestling. And as far as great opponents goes, Will Ospreay may be the most perfect pro-wrestler ever. I've seen pretty much his best stuff from this year, and he can just do anything, and do it better than anyone. All-timer G1 final, washed the bad taste off last year's sad final. 

Only one day at the Tokyo Dome is the way to go. Hopefully they stack the fuck up this mofo. One obvious match that should happen is Ospreay vs Omega. It was amazing how when Ospreay did the V-trigger and tried the One-Winged Angel, that "clap only" crowd literally LOST THEIR SHIT . These two have been throwing darts at each others on interviews, obviously building to something, and I guess now is the time.

The other one is a more strictly US fans dream match in Danielson vs ZSJ.

With Okada vs White on top, those three matches only make WK the greatest card on paper in years.

Hopefully some really kick-ass Stardom match for the IGWP women title too, quite a historic moment too (after years of hearing how NJPW wanted Kyoko Hamaguchi in the 00's !).

Maybe a Mutoh match as part of his countdown ? Against SANADA for instance (the bastard betrayed him in IMPACT in 2014 after all!). That would make sense.

As dull as the company can seem on paper at times, the upcoming years are looking very intriguing for NJ, with some of the best excursion guys finally coming back as stars and the international scene opening up.

• 1 month later...

Guess what we get at the Tokyo Dome ? The final of a tournament for a new title. Because NJPW needs a new title. New titles are always a good thing. Everybody wants more tournaments for new titles, because that's the pure sports build everyone has been craving for since the days of Bill Watts. New titles is something AEW should do too, there's never enough new titles and the final of a tournament for a new title is the most exciting thing in pro-wrestling, especially when every match doesn't have a title in line yet. Every match should be for a title, therefore new titles are always welcomed.