Pro Wrestling Only

Who will you be the low vote on?

Grimmas

I was thinking about this today and I could realistically put Ric Flair behind: Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, Hashimoto, Liger, Fujiwara, Fujinami, Tenryu, Hansen, Funk, Lawler, Bret, Rey Jr., Bockwinkel, Satanico and Hijo del Santo and maybe some more. I am not saying he will be below those guys, but there is a chance. Which means Flair could drop to 17th.

Would that be the low vote on him?

Who do you think you are going to be the low vote on?

Guys I will likely be "the low vote" on:

Shawn Michaels - realistic shot of not making the 100, I might be the most anti-HBK of those who are down on him in general.

Jerry Lawler - still a lot more of him to see, but he doesn't look like clicking with me, I need more than just punches and timing in my wrestling

Bob Backlund - at this point I have to admit that he's probably making the 100, just in too many good matches to ignore, but from those of us who will be voting for him, I'll almost certainly be the lowest vote.

Barry Windham - I've always felt like I'm lower on Windham than a lot of people. I don't like him much as a Flair opponent. If Windham makes my list, it'll be in the 90-100 region.

Having seen a handful of high end Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada matches, I imagine I'll be closer to the low vote on them. I came out of those matches honestly liking Taue the best. I can't promise that though because there is an element of continuity and storytelling and build in there that i know I'm only scratching the surface on. It's something i know I'd appreciate but the idea of watching more matches with those guys to fully grasp it is nothing I'm looking forward to.

This is a difficult question to answer because some just won't rate at all and I think very few people will be unanimous.

For consensus picks? Well it's very unlikely I'll rate Shawn. I'm not viscerally opposed to his inclusion at all,but I do think he gets the benefit of every doubt from a wide subsection of hardcore fandom, so he doesn't need that coming from me as well. When I see people talking about him as a number one pick, or a top ten guy, and then I look at his output I just think "no fucking way," so I'm not going to make room for him in a bottom twenty or so that is likely to be filled with guys I consider every bit as good (or better) than him, but who may have gotten fewer chances.

I could see being among the low voters for both Austin and Bret. I enjoy both guys, think both guys could be great at times, but I'm not enamored with either guy. I will say that Austin is someone who might benefit a ton if I revisit 2001 WWE which I've been considering taking on as a project. But even saying that, I was never high on him in WCW and there are big chunks of his key WWE run where he was unspectacular to say the least in the ring. He'll probably make my list but I don't see him as a lock at all. Bret will almost certainly make my list, but I don't see him as the top twenty level guy a lot of people do. I'm not even sure I see him as a strong top fifty contender.

Among people who will vote for lucha (and I hope everyone at least makes a good faith effort there, but that's out of my hands), I could see myself as the low voter for El Hijo Del Santo. I"m a fan of the guy, think he has a great routine, and think he's one of the great offensive wrestlers of all time. But the more I think about him the less compelled I feel to rate him in the upper quarter. That could change with rewatches though, and I can't see him rating lower than 40 or so worse case scenario so "lowest" is probably a real stretch.

Parv's boy Dibiase is not likely to do well on my list. I don't even consider him a lock for it to be honest, though I'm going to watch some Mid-South Dibiase this week so that could change.

I don't think Tanahashi will be a consensus pick, but I think he will do very well among people who do vote for him. He's not touching my ballot.

Among consensus-type candidates, I'd imagine I'll be a or the low voter on Kobashi. He'll make my list, I think, but he really doesn't go a lot for me. His best qualities are his charisma, which doesn't hook me in for whatever reason, and his offense, which I think is very overrated. Not bad by any stretch but nowhere as great as a lot of people rate it.

I'll be a low voter on a lot of Joshi workers, but I'm guessing some people won't even have them on their list. I doubt I'll be a low voter on the All-Japan guys. They will do well on my ballot, but there's tendencies in the style that drive me insane so that will affect my rating of them some.

I could see being a lower voter on Negro Casas. I respect his longevity and charisma, but he's never punched my buttons like the other cream of the crop luchadores.

I mentioned in the other thread that Gordy or Race could fall off entirely, so if I vote for them, it won't be high. Dibiase will probably be in my bottom 20-25, though I'm not sure how unusual that might be. Eddy could fall to the 30-40 range for me, where he probably would've been top 10 a few years ago.

I was interested, glancing at the SC list just now, how well the Joshi workers did--eight of the top 50. I can't imagine that will hold up, though I hope we still have some Joshi lovers representing.

This is a weird one, but I could see voting for Jay Briscoe or someone like that around the 100 mark. I actually think there are a few other potential voters who might vote for him, but if they did I think they'd be likely to vote him higher than that. So I could end up being the low voter for a few guys where I am only one of a couple of guys voting for them at all.

Yeah it's a hard question to answer in the spirit in which it is asked, because technically the low vote for anyone not universally voted upon is all the people who don't rank them at all, not someone who puts them at #90 or so.

But anyway, I'll probably end up being a low voter for a lot of luchadors. Lucha is my white whale, it just eludes me every time I try to go there, so if/when any luchadors impress me in the next 18 months, they still probably won't make it too far up my list just on account of working a style that I don't prefer.

I could see being a lower voter on Negro Casas. I respect his longevity and charisma, but he's never punched my buttons like the other cream of the crop luchadores.

I mentioned in the other thread that Gordy or Race could fall off entirely, so if I vote for them, it won't be high. Dibiase will probably be in my bottom 20-25, though I'm not sure how unusual that might be. Eddy could fall to the 30-40 range for me, where he probably would've been top 10 a few years ago.

I was interested, glancing at the SC list just now, how well the Joshi workers did--eight of the top 50. I can't imagine that will hold up, though I hope we still have some Joshi lovers representing.

Adding Negro Casas moves Flair, potentially, to 18.

Tanahashi very likely for me. I tend to like him in the setting of the 2000s wrestling, but when comparing him to other eras I'm not really that high on him. And it's not entirely on Tanahashi, but that's not really the point. I'd have a hard time putting somebody who may not be as impactful or quite as good within their particular style of wrestling as Tanahashi is behind Tanahashi if I really like said wrestling style. At a certain point objectiveness has to take a back seat to my own personal preference.

Smarkschoice was a Joshi board at the time and ended up doing a separate poll for the greatest women's wrestlers of all-time. It will be a shame if women wrestlers aren't well represented this time round as I don't think that's an accurate reflection of their skills or contribution to wrestling.

Tanahashi very likely for me. I tend to like him in the setting of the 2000s wrestling, but when comparing him to other eras I'm not really that high on him. And it's not entirely on Tanahashi, but that's not really the point. I'd have a hard time putting somebody who may not be as impactful or quite as good within their particular style of wrestling as Tanahashi is behind Tanahashi if I really like said wrestling style. At a certain point objectiveness has to take a back seat to my own personal preference.

There is many who will not have him listed, so you won't be alone.

Gordy, Doc, Vader I could all see myself going relatively low on. I don't know yet though. I need to see more on each. Basically "hard hitting guys who hit other guys hard in japan" aren't going to innately be high on my rankings. They have a high hurdle for me in that I don't really want to watch their stuff. Vader's US (I've seen very little of his WWF run or 94) and shoot style stuff I'll be more interested in seeing.

I don't think I'll have too many guys who wrestled heavily after 00 high on my list. It'll be a smaller percentage.