Pro Wrestling Only

Quarterly Feel Good Poll 2

Gregor

Remember this thread? It's been a bit more than a quarter since then but it's still a fun idea that I don't want to see die. The categories are:

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch (in the last poll, the board seemed most excited about Dean Ambrose)

Last Fun Match You Saw

Wrestler You Want to See More of

Last Live Show Attended

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling

Last Worthwhile Wrestling Podcast You Heard

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately

Here are mine:

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch

Emilio Charles Jr. Always fun, incredibly charismatic, and maybe my favorite character of all time. I like to think that if I were a wrestler I would spend a lot of my time shouting at the crowd and then running for the exits when the faces got fed up with me.

Last Fun Match You Saw

The famous 1999 Sting vs. DDP Nitro match.

1991-93 La Fiera. Far more interesting as a rudo than as a tecnico.

Last Live Show Attended

I've never been to a wrestling show. I've had only one wrestling fan friend ever, and that was back in sixth grade and right before we both stopped watching it. The idea of going to a show by myself doesn't interest me.

I dunno. If something interesting pops up on YouTube, then I'll watch that, but it's not something I plan out. Talking about Jeff Jarrett recently got me interested in rewatching his house show matches with Bret Hart, but I wouldn't say that I'm looking forward to it.

A couple of nights ago I was flipping through some Ernest Miller promos on YouTube which transitioned into me watching a Cat vs. Hole-in-one Barry Darsow match. Nothing grabbed me, though.

The last thing that really stood out was from ohtani's jacket's 1980s lucha thread, when he pointed out that AAA for the most part eschewed Diablo Velazco-trained wrestlers. I'd never noticed that.

Steve Austin doing commentary over his match with Rock at the Astrodome.

Probably watching a bunch of matches from the Fuerza Guerrera vs. Misterioso feud. There were some really good rudo teams in that.

Tito Santana: Watching his feud with Valentine has been a delight. I always liked Tito, but I never gave him the credit he deserved for being essentially the perfect babyface.

Last Fun Match You Saw

Giant Baba versus Billy Robinson from 1976. Billy is tremendous and Baba's skill is a revelation; watching the internal narrative of the match unfold is a thing of beauty.

Mascarita Dorada: Grimmas is spot on with his Rey Jr. in 1996 comparison, easily the best mini I've ever seen and his style in the ring screams of inventiveness, precision, and balls to the wall fun.

Last Live Show Attended

Still some WWF House Show back in 1998 or 1999.

Shinya Hashimoto versus Steven Regal from 1990s NJPW, for all the obvious reasons.

Kurt Angle and Ric Flair from Vengeance 2001.

Probably Sam's Tanahashi and Cena piece.

The PTBN-PWO Heels Summit, Part One

As much as I didn't like the match all that much, Prince Puma versus Johnny Mundo from Lucha Underground, it's fresh approach to filming and presenting wrestling was a lot of fun.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch: It has to be Rusev for me. However, it's a package deal: Lana makes it work too.

Last Fun Match You Saw: Johnny Mundo Vs. Prince Puma; Lucha Underground week 1

Wrestler You Want to See More of: Prince Puma & Bobby Fish.

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most: Eh, not really any I know of that I care about.

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw: Randy Orton on RAW two weeks ago when he sounded like he was on cocaine & wouldn't take a breath.

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately: Lucha Underground. It feels different & new.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch (in the last poll, the board seemed most excited about Dean Ambrose):

It would still be Ambrose, I just wish they sillyness was toned down and he could be himself.

Last Fun Match You Saw:

Wrestler You Want to See More of:

Mascarita Dorada. I'll keep saying this, but his mid late 2000's work is Rey Jr. in 1996 level of awesome.

Last Live Show Attended:
ROH when Liger was there. It was alright.

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most:
Give me a long Ambrose-Luke Harper match on Raw, please.

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw:
I haven't watch anything but PPVs in a while, but some of the Ambrose stuff they show in highlights looks good.

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling:
Bill Thompson did a great review on the Dordada-Mini Psychosis match that I loved.

Last Worthwhile Wrestling Podcast You Heard:

Mine? No, I really loved the last WTBBP.

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately:
My wife stayed with me and watched the Cesaro-Dolph match from HIAC and didn't make fun of it.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch Sasha Banks. She hardly ever has a bad match and is such a good heel.

Last Fun Match You Saw: King Puma and Johnny Mundo vs Lil Cholo and Ricky Reyes Lucha Underground episode 2

Wrestler You Want to See More of Prince Devitt and Invader 1

Last Live Show Attended A NXT house show last month with Vaudevillans/Enzo Big Cas and a real good Hideo Itami vs CJ Parker match.

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most: Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville at Takeover along with Sasha/Charlotte

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw: Da Big Guy and Curtis Axel breaking up on Superstars

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling: Matt D's review of Halloween Havoc 91

Last Worthwhile Wrestling Podcast You Heard: I don't really listen to podcasts but I liked the one on Tito/Valentine

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately: Enzo/Big Cas vs Vaudvillans from the house show i went to last month. Everyone should see Enzo live once. So great.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch: It's a tie..... either RD Evans. Whether he is RD Evans in ROH, Robert Evans in Olde Wrestling, or Archibald Peck in Chikara, he never fails to entertain me...... or Rusev. Hands down the most entertaining act in WWE right now. The highlight of every show he is on.

Last Fun Match You Saw: The 10 man tag on Night 3 of this years Battle of Los Angeles. It won't be for everyone, but man I had a smile on my face the whole match.

Wrestler You Want to See More of: Biff Busick. I had never seen him prior to watching BOLA, and his mixture of intensity with old style grappling was very interesting. Will definitely be seeking more of him out.

Last Live Show Attended: I did live to DVD/MP4 commentary for VOW wrestling in the Pittsburgh area last weekend, I ring announce for a league here in West Virginia tomorrow (with Bobby Fulton and The Maestro on the show) and the last show I attended as a fan was an ROH TV taping at the end of September.

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most: Chikara just announced they are doing a Cibernetico at their season finale, those are always fun.

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw: Been watching Will's Horseman comp, so too many Flair and Arn promo's to count that have had me entertained.

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling: I dunno, probably something on this board!

Last Worthwhile Wrestling Podcast You Heard: The last podcast I listened too was Johnny Saint on Cabana's podcast, so that has been a while.

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately: A buddy of mine who hadn't watched wrestling since the Attitude era came around and I showed him some PWG, he was in awe of the Young Bucks superkicks, and the Chris Hero elbow strikes. Watching his reactions was awesome.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch: In this moment, Judy Martin, but it changes by the hour.

Last Fun Match You Saw: I watched the Usos vs Gold and Star cage match tonight and "Fun" would be a really good way to describe it. They used the cage well and they smartened up the escape rules and while it was a lot of what we've seen before out of them, i kind of liked the cage preventing the Usos from doing their dives if that makes any sense. It made things feel a little fresher even if the finish could have been hotter.

Wrestler You Want to See More of: Jim Breaks! And Fujiwara. But Jim Breaks.

Last Live Show Attended: Still 2004. BUT I am going to the Rumble. That was a hell of a negotiation with my wife but I am going to the Rumble with WAY too good seats. Excited for that.

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most: I'm a sucker for classic Survivor Series matches, but I also am looking forward to seeing some of Judy Martin in Japan that we have.

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw: I saw a CWF promo with Jos Le Duc showing off the lumberjack title and Don Muraco showing off his hair tonight.

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling: Chris answered a question of mine on his blog and I thought that came out very interesting: http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2014/10/did-smackdown-usher-in-era-of-even.html (also, thanks Tim)

Last Worthwhile Wrestling Podcast You Heard: I've mainly been listening to old Johnny Dollar serials on my commute so by default it almost has to be WTBBP for Halloween Havoc.

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately: That Honky Tonk Man vs Mr. X match was a blast. Also, I'm two matches into Hector Garza's 2010 and he's a lot of fun to watch.

Nice to see this brought back.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch: Probably Shiryu. He seems like the most lucha-esque of the old school Michinoku Pro crew.

Last Fun Match You Saw: The MPro tag where Liger showed up.

Wrestler You Want to See More of: Invader 1, Jerry Brisco and WWE Rey Mysterio Jr.

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most: A 1950s or 60s Wild Man of Borneo tag feat Lord Alfred Hayes

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw: Probably the post match to the King Ben/Kilby title match.

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling: Probably some British Wrestling history.

Last Worthwhile Wrestling Podcast You Heard: I enjoyed the Titans WoS extra.

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately: The MPro multi-man matches are a lot of fun.

Love this. Hopefully it gives folks some random, quick hit things to look up as it certainly did that for me.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch: Masa Fuchi. Just rewatched the AJ/NJ tag from 12/00 as part of the Best of 2000s and an AJPW 6 man from 1/29/94 as part of the Yearbook. I'd love to see some all time Fuchi singles matches (holler if you can point me to them), but he brings as much character and heat to the tag & 6 man matches from the four corners era as anybody.

Last Fun Match You Saw: Aja Kong vs. Yumiko Hotta, 1/24/94. I knew nothing about it heading into the match but and was a bit underwhelmed by Bull/Kyoko and the Toyota/Yamada tag on the undercard, but holy shit was this not an incredible spectacle that did its best to approach Dump/Chiggy. I'll have to add more in the match discussion thread but I blown away by this, and really the only thing it was lacking was the killer crowd it deserved. Give it a hot crowd and we're looking at a classic.

Wrestler You Want to See More of: Dragon Gate! I swear I'm going to jump on board and try to get into this ASAP. Hoping to burn through a couple recent NJ iPPVs I've fallen behind on today and then give this the look it deserves based on Alan's love. Also, Jack Brisco because Mooney has me salivating.

Match You Are Looking Forward to Watching Soon the Most: Brisco vs Inoki.

Last Fun Interview/Promo You Saw: Its been a while since Heyman has been on TV for anything significant, and Ambrose has been sent to third rate horror movie school after flunking out of bad comedy, so let's say Flair's backstage promo after Starrcade '93.

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling: Rusher Kimura bio in the Observer from 2004. Love going old school.

Last Worthwhile Wrestling Podcast You Heard: Austin hasn't had a guest on recently, so All Japan Excite Series Numbah 2.

Most Fun You've Had Watching Wrestling Lately: Bull-Hotta.

MORE MORE MORE

Jack Brisco. Convinced that if we had the amount of footage of him as we do for someone like Flair that he'd be making everyone's top 5 easy. But people didn't keep tapes in the 70s.

Last Fun Match You Saw

Jack Brisco vs. Bill Watts where Watts is on colour with Gordon Solie after the fact. Hilarious stuff from Bill Watts there. Recommend tracking that one down, especially if you are a Watts fan.

There are lots but it's a toss up between Jim Breaks and Billy Robinson.

Last Live Show Attended

That one with Liger in London last year.

I'm watching Clash 17 for WTBBP later and I can't wait to see that tag match again (Enforcers vs. Steamboat / Dustin)

Terry Funk moments after winning the NWA world title claiming he's going to be an "offensive" champion while objecting to a rematch.

Meltzer's Giegel obit piece.

Anything I've been on in the past month ... I joke, I joke. Probably Flair on Austin's show, especially when he got into ring psychology.

Watching from WWF stuff circa March 1981 for Titans -- Dominic Denucci teaming with a nameless jobber and, like a man possessed, going after the Moondogs 2 on 1 ... Backlund vs. Slaughter in a cage match in Philly ... Kal Rudman coming out with lines of actual poetry laced with 1940s references. Hour of viewing that just flew by.

Love this. Hopefully it gives folks some random, quick hit things to look up as it certainly did that for me.

Current Favorite Wrestler to Watch: Masa Fuchi. Just rewatched the AJ/NJ tag from 12/00 as part of the Best of 2000s and an AJPW 6 man from 1/29/94 as part of the Yearbook. I'd love to see some all time Fuchi singles matches (holler if you can point me to them), but he brings as much character and heat to the tag & 6 man matches from the four corners era as anybody.

Check out Fuchi vs. Momota 3/29/89, vs. Hiro Saito 6/12/86, vs. Kobayashi 4/6/86, vs. Kikuchi 7/12/90.

Check out Fuchi vs. Momota 3/29/89, vs. Hiro Saito 6/12/86, vs. Kobayashi 4/6/86, vs. Kikuchi 7/12/90.

Awesome, thanks. Just realized that a few of those are on the DVDVR set and I even had the Momota match ranked right near the top quartile on that set. But of course have no recollection of any of them which is a damn fine reason to break that set out this week.

Kawada

Last Fun Match You Saw

Rock n' Sock vs Taker and Show Buried Alive Match on Smackdown September '99

Kawada

Last Live Show Attended

I was at the go home show for Wrestlemania.

Ryback's next PPV match

Jim Cornette and Bob Armstrong absolutely going at each other on an Episode of Smoky Mountain in 1993.

This thread.

PWO/PTBN Heels Podcast

Maybe the Smoky Mountain episode or one of the '99 Smackdown episodes I've watched..

Last Interesting Thing You Read about Wrestling: Probably some British Wrestling history.

Where are the best places to read about British wrestling history? That Heritage site?

Wrestling Heritage is a good place to get info. The old Britishwrestlingarchive.co.uk message board posts are helpful as well. i usually just google "Bob Kirkwood wrestler" and see what comes up.

Where are the best places to read about British wrestling history? That Heritage site?

Wrestling Heritage is a good place to get info. The old Britishwrestlingarchive.co.uk message board posts are helpful as well. i usually just google "Bob Kirkwood wrestler" and see what comes up.

Another great source is ohtani's jacket.

Stephanie McMahon. And Lana. That's not entirely correct because neither are active wrestlers, but they're the two performers in wrestling that I have the most interest in at the moment. Not sure what that says about me. Or current wrestling.

For an actual wrestler, I'll be predictable and say Rusev.

Last Fun Match You Saw

The Dragon Gate six man from ROH 2006. Balls to the wall fun.

So, so many. Today I'll say the Destroyer.

Last Live Show Attended

WWE house show back in August. Had a great Sheamus/Cesaro match and a great Usos/Wyatts match, so I more than got my money's worth, even with a Reigns/Kane main event.

Cena vs Brock III, I guess.

The Ryback/Axel conversation on Superstars.

Parv going through the Brisco matches is pretty interesting.

I listened to the Wrestling Culture podcast on John Cena last night.

I've been watching a fair bit of Raw from 2004 lately, since I have the tapes, and believe it or not that has been really fun. That's my childhood.

The stuff I know is only really a drop in the bucket. I'm still learning things all the time. Sadly, I have one final order of British wrestling coming and that's it for me aside from the dregs and the rewatches. I started watching this stuff seriously sometime around 2008 and the finishing line is in sight.

I got a big batch of stuff from your source the other day and will be in British wrestling heaven once I get through all this 2000s puro. But you really have done a great service laying the groundwork with your reviews.

The stuff I know is only really a drop in the bucket. I'm still learning things all the time. Sadly, I have one final order of British wrestling coming and that's it for me aside from the dregs and the rewatches. I started watching this stuff seriously sometime around 2008 and the finishing line is in sight.

I got a big batch of stuff from your source the other day and will be in British wrestling heaven once I get through all this 2000s puro. But you really have done a great service laying the groundwork with your reviews.

John Lister is another good resource for information.

What kind of stuff did you get?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, seems as good a time as any to make my first post here after a few years of lurking.

Kazuchika Okada - Sort of a personal thing as I got back into wrestling after a LONG break (we are talking years) just as he was getting pushed to the moon and beginning his series of matches with Tanahashi. They aren't to everyone on this boards tastes, but those matches made me feel in love with pro wrestling again and Okada feels like "my" guy. Watching him evolve into for my money, on his day, the best main event wrestler in the world, has been a pleasure.

Honourable mentions for Sami Zayn, Jack Gallagher, Negro Casas, Cavernerio (although my knowledge of what constitutes "good" lucha isn't hugely strong), Noam Dar and Akira Tozawa

Last Fun Match You Saw

Another vote for Prince Puma vs Johnny Mundo. Again, I wasn't really massively into some of the in ring work but the breath of fresh air that is Lucha Underground, plus knowing its Ricochet under the hood, who I think might be one of the most improved guys I've seen in the last few years, made it great fun.

Too many to list. The Destroyer would be one. I've only ever seen one of his matches with Mascaras and Baba and I loved them both. I was surprised by how three dimensional he was as a worker, I'd expected him to be a rough house badass and little else. Not sure where I got that idea from but there you go.

Last Live Show Attended

Revolution Pro Wrestlings Uprising 2014 at York Hall, London:

Okada vs Joel Redmond
Matt Sydal vs Will Ospreay
Martin Stone vs Marty Scurll
Too Cool and Rikishi vs The Revolutionists

2 Unlimited vs Rich Swann and Austin Aries

It always feels special going down to London (I live in Newcastle in the North East of England) for the Rev Pro shows at York Hall. Its a beautiful old building that usually hosts boxing and has that real Victorian kind of hall feel. In the last year RPW have booked Tanahashi, Nakamura and Okada and I've seen them all. The atmosphere is always great and I've made some friends at those shows.

They do have an absolutely absurd rule that means you can't take a drink to your seat though, which means I end up completely hammered due to tanning as much booze as possible before I get in. What? I'm English?

Outside of the next NXT special, I'm really looking forward to finally getting round to watching this Tito vs Valentine feud everyone has been harping on about for years... if you'd told 15 year old ECW mark me that I'd be enjoying stuff like that 15 years later, I'd have laughed at you.

I really liked Eddie Dennis's comedy ungainly Welsh luchador shtick on the free Progress Wrestling show they posted up to youtube...

Keeping Kayfabe by Ben Gabriel in The New Inquiry. Its a piece on the tension between cooperation and competition in wrestling.

http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/keeping-kayfabe/

Outside of Punk on AOW and Vince on Austins podcast, probably finally listening to Shamrock on Austins podcast and being really, really intrigued by what he did and what he didn't say about Minoru Suzuki.

Travelling down south again to see the Dragon Gate UK show with one of my best friends in the whole world. AND BEING ABLE TO TAKE BEERS TO OUR SEATS THIS TIME! :)

Currently Rusev, not just because he's a beast but also because my two-year old son goes absolutely nuts for Lana!

Last Fun Match You Saw

Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins from Hell in a Cell

Not sure about this one as I'm slowly working my way back into watching indies

Last Live Show Attended

HWA in Middletown, Ohio this past July. Turns out this was probably their last event for the time being

Ambrose vs. Wyatt at TLC

Haven't really seen any good ones lately.

The Bleacher Report article on Kamala

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2267803-from-wrestling-legend-to-double-amputee-kamala-keeps-fighting

The Jim Cornette shows with Lance Russell were quite enjoyable. Still trying to get the Punk podcast to download and play.

Anytime watching wrestling is a fun time!!