Pro Wrestling Only

PWO-PTBN Roundtable: WWE.com's Top 50 Heels in Wrestling History - Part 3

http://placetobenation.com/pwo-ptbn-roundtable-wwe-coms-top-50-heels-in-wrestling-history-part-3/

avatars-000100292376-b985w1-t500x500.jpg

Inspired by the Squared Circle Gazette Radio's recent show on the same topic, Parv (Titans of Wrestling, Where the Big Boys Play), Will (Good Will Wrestling, Wrestling with the Past), Johnny (Titans of Wrestling), and Steven Graham (Pro Wrestling Super Show) converge for this epic one-off roundtable to provide an alternative take on WWE.com's Top 50 Heels in Wrestling History. In this third part, they run through guys who didn't make the WWE's list who would have made theirs.

Our lists:

Parv’s Top 50*

1. Bobby Heenan
2. Vince McMahon
3. Michael Hayes
4. Ted DiBiase
5. Jim Cornette
6. Lou Albano
7. William Regal
8. The Sheik
9. Ole Anderson
10. Arn Anderson
11. Nick Bockwinkel
12. Terry Funk
13. The Assassin
14. Jerry Lawler
15. Jimmy Hart
16. Rick Rude
17. Tully Blanchard
18. Dick Murdoch
19. Jake Roberts
20. Ernie Ladd
21. Fred Blassie
22. Abdullah the Butcher
23. Hogan
24. Sgt Slaughter
25. Larry Zbyszko
26. Ivan Koloff
27. Jesse Ventura
28. The Grand Wizard
29. Roddy Piper
30. Paul E. Dangerously
31. Vader
32. Pat Patterson
33. Buddy Rose
34. Honky Tonk Man
35. Adrian Street
36. Ken Patera
37. Mick Foley
38. Andre
39. Buddy Rodgers
40. CM Punk
41. Sensational Sherri
42. Iron Sheik
43. Kurt Angle
44. Mr Perfect
45. Lex Luger
46. Buzz Sawyer
47. Randy Savage
48. JJ Dillon
49. Greg Valentine
50. Adrian Adonis

*NB. This list is very much changed from the list that is read out during the show. Some guys have changed position after further consideration, and the two guys I picked almost entirely to “troll” the other panel members – IRS and Baron Scicluna – are dropped.

Steven’s Top 10

1. Bobby Heenan
2. Terry Funk
3. Vince McMahon
4. Jimmy Hart
5. Nick Bockwinkel
6. William Regal
7. Hollywood Hogan
8. Larry Zbyszko
9. Rick Rude
10. Jim Cornette

Will’s Top 10

1. Jimmy Hart
2. Buddy Rose
3. William Regal
4. Tully Blanchard
5. Jim Cornette
6. Bobby Heenan
7. Michael Hayes
8. Arn Anderson
9. Nick Bockwinkel
10. Ted DiBiase

Johnny’s Top 2

1. Roddy Piper
2. Jimmy Hart

Great stuff again, but that's no surprise.

I'm starting to think the reason Steven has his own podcast is so he can actually talk for more then thirty seconds at a time. Although I may have popped if Steven had cut off Will. Not that Will isn't making good points, just the fan of fiery babyfaces in me talking.

The question of whether you take a run or total body of work is very interesting. I'm a pretty big fan of Bret and if asked what I consider him I'd definitely say babyface. With that said his 97 heel run is my favorite time period from him and I thought it was played off very well. He was hated in a time where people were liking bad guys. I guess if put shorter runs into the equation would Brets 97 be enough?

I'm starting to think the reason Steven has his own podcast is so he can actually talk for more then thirty seconds at a time. Although I may have popped if Steven had cut off Will. Not that Will isn't making good points, just the fan of fiery babyfaces in me talking.

It was like Ricky Morton trying to get in offense against Bruiser Brody and Ole Anderson.

It was like Ricky Morton trying to get in offense against Bruiser Brody and Ole Anderson.

If Ricky Morton was Canadian and couldn't cut a promo.

If Ricky Morton was Canadian and couldn't cut a promo.

Rick Martel?

1. Bobby Heenan

2. Vince McMahon

3. Jim Cornette

4. Roddy Piper

5. Ric Flair

6. Hollywood Hogan

7. Nick Bockwinkel

8. Jimmy Hart

9. Lou Albano

10. Ted Dibiase

Would HHH be an honorable mention? He was such a good heel he got me and millions of others to just stop watching modern WWE.. He's therefore the worst heel ever, but he's darn good at it. The fact that Trish Stratus in 2004 was miles ahead of him in heel talent, though a positive for her, is proof just how damaging this goof was.

Listening to the Heenan vs. Hart debate I feel Will and Johnny sort of won on points despite the fact that I think factually they are just dead wrong. I sat through about 200 plus hours of 1980-1984 Memphis TV recently and watched Jimmy intently. And the one thing he can't do is be a genuine threat or menacing. He's an annoying pain you want to punch in the face and a brilliant strategist but he just isn't as multi-faceted as Bobby Heenan.

Watch Bobby's post WM VI promo when Andre turns on him. In a flash he turns into one legit scary MF who you believe isn't above having someone gun Andre down in an alley just to make sure nobody leaves the family or else. Bobby spent 12 years (except for a year in Georgia) being THE heel manager in the AWA before even coming to WWF. Granted the footage isn't as much as Jimmy but from everything I've seen, and I've seen a LOT of Heenan (hence the name) he was an even better heel than in the WWF. I feel like Will and Johnny basically ignored all of Heenan's near 20 years prior to the WWF while making most of their case for Jimmy based on HIS pre WWF run. That's just a poor and unfair debate at best.

Jimmy Hart was a great manager and an amazing foil. He led an entire small promotion's heel side for about 5 years, then became a good #2 manager in the biggest wrestling promotion in the world. His WCW run...eh.

Bobby Heenan did the exact same thing Hart did in the WWA, we just don't have the footage to see all of it. I've collected every scrap of footage and info from that era I could though and that was peak Heenan. He then went to the AWA and became the top manager for one of the greatest heels ever and possibly the best wrestler-manager combo of all time. He then moved to the WWF and HE was chosen to be the top manager, not Jimmy Hart. For a very good reason. Hart coming out with Andre, bleh. Hart being the third member of the Flair-Hennig group, not a chance in hell. Hart as Gorilla's partner for all those years on Prime Time heeling it up no way and Hart was a TERRIBLE commentator. For a very good reason.

For Bobby Heenan remains, not just the greatest heel in wrestling history, which he undoubtedly is, but the greatest entertainer in the history of pro wrestling.

And just remember if you leave the Family, you're never heard from again.

Humanoids.

I recently started posting at another board, and it's interesting to hear their takes on some of this stuff. Not the podcast itself mind you, but top heels and such. For instance I just came from a Triple H topic where every poster but me proclaimed the guy either the best heel of all time or one of the best. It's just a difference of opinion, but it's interesting to note nonetheless.