Pro Wrestling Only

Arn Anderson or Sean Waltman

JerryvonKramer

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

• Arn Anderson
    • Sean Waltman

Just for argument's sake, we should look at peak vs. peak, top five matches for both guys.

I'm not going to go with Arn, but definitely the Regal match.

As for Kid, off the top of my head for singles matches:

vs Jerry Lynn (PWA, 5/17/91)

vs Wellington Wilkins Jr. (PWA, 6/10/91)

vs Sabu (NWA, 4/17/93)

vs Bret Hart (WWF Raw, 7/11/94)

and probably another Lynn match, but there is too many to chose from. I think those matches are as good as the best Arn singles matches, probably even better.

parv, it's interesting that you got so into this particular point when grimmas has shown himself to be an outlier here on multiple occasions. he'll probably be the high vote on bret for the GWE poll, and IIRC he was also the one who said he'd put goldberg in his top 100. he just tends to have a unique take on things, it seems - a well-thought out and interesting one, though!

JvK puts the "Self-servicing poll" in PWO...wait a second...

I think the poll sorta removes the argument for Waltman who is pretty clearly not seen above Arn by most. It is less about Grimmas thinking Waltman is better but the overall idea that it is closer than it would appear. But the poll actually works against that entire thought sadly so Waltman might as well be miles away from Arn.

It is less about Grimmas thinking Waltman is better but the overall idea that it is closer than it would appear. But the poll actually works against that entire thought sadly so Waltman might as well be miles away from Arn.

Yeah, exactly. If you work from the starting point of the opening question ("What arguments does X-Pac have to even be in a conversation with an all-time great like Arn?") and the case is laid out through the entire thread, pretty clearly, that there's reason to put him within the same tier, which is the actual argument.

Just watched X-Pac vs. Tajiri from SummerSlam 01' and this thread came to mind. I must admit to having thought that, by 01', Waltman was terrible and that I couldn't enjoy his work anymore as the character had gotten so stale (this is during the time when "XPac Sucks" was a thing) - but that match, aside from the ending, is really, really strong and could've been a 4-star if it had been given more time and ended cleanly.