Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover Arrival

shoe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Neville, my enjoyment of him seems to be based on his opponents. He's a guy who can be a part of a great match, but not a guy who makes a match great.

I think I agree with this. He was awesome against Owens, for example, but he might not be as good against a lesser opponent (not that I consider Balor "lesser" because I don't). I think maybe my problem with Neville/Balor is that they were both trying to do similar things in some respects. A clash of styles, like Owens and Neville, is usually a lot more fun if the chemistry is there and they know how to work with the other person's differences.

Well, if you didn't like the finish to Owens/ Zayn, or NXT in general you're in some interesting company.

Vince Russo on Zayn-Owens:

The casual television viewing audience would absolutely scoff at this show. And, I don’t care it you give it SEVEN MILLION stars—it would never draw on a national level and that’s all that matters. And, if these young kids aren’t going to draw HERE—they certainly aren’t going to draw THERE.

Personally, I don’t care how the finish of the match was booked because I simply don’t care enough. Whoever is in charge hasn’t made me care enough.

Today [the finish] will be all right because it was NXT. Many will even try to make sense out of actually STOPPING a fight that wasn’t REAL to begin with. It’s called “the spin”? How you chose to make something look either “good”, or “bad” depending on your preference, or opinion.

Well, here’s my spin on the finish of last night’s man event match between Sammy Zayn and Kevin Owens. Ready? Good. IT SUCKED.

Well, if you didn't like the finish to Owens/ Zayn, or NXT in general you're in some interesting company.

Vince Russo on Zayn-Owens:

The casual television viewing audience would absolutely scoff at this show. And, I don’t care it you give it SEVEN MILLION stars—it would never draw on a national level and that’s all that matters. And, if these young kids aren’t going to draw HERE—they certainly aren’t going to draw THERE.

Personally, I don’t care how the finish of the match was booked because I simply don’t care enough. Whoever is in charge hasn’t made me care enough.

Today [the finish] will be all right because it was NXT. Many will even try to make sense out of actually STOPPING a fight that wasn’t REAL to begin with. It’s called “the spin”? How you chose to make something look either “good”, or “bad” depending on your preference, or opinion.

Well, here’s my spin on the finish of last night’s man event match between Sammy Zayn and Kevin Owens. Ready? Good. IT SUCKED.

Vince Russo is the worst. He knows nothing about wrestling at all. Everything he booked is shit. Every opinion he has is shit. I fucking hate him. He ruined me watching the WWF. He ruined WCW. He ruined TNA and he ruins everything he touches.

Fuck him.

I don't agree with Russo, but I think where he's coming from is that NXT lacks the outlandish sports-entertainment type of storytelling, larger-than-life characters, pomp and circumstance, etc. There are a lot of bad examples of that, especially from him, but when it's done right (Savage/Elizabeth or any other effective romance angle, Undertaker, etc.), it's pretty damn effective. I love NXT, and there's certainly a lot the modern-day WWE can learn from it, but I think it would be incredibly naive to think you can just take the NXT formula and apply it to Raw with no changes. For all the great things NXT has, there is no Stone Cold or Rock there, no Savage and Elizabeth, no Undertaker. Of course, it is a developmental territory, with everything that entails. What we're seeing now in NXT are the raw lumps of clay that will eventually became the Raw superstars of tomorrow.

Plus, NXT's look and feel as an indy with WWE production values is pretty damn smart in its own way because Triple H does want to position it as an alternative brand of sorts. WWE gets the best of both worlds that way. Is there a better "indy" promotion out there right now than NXT?

In that way, Russo is completely missing the point about what NXT is supposed to be.

You have to give Russo credit in the fact that, in spite of having absolutely no discernible skill at any aspect of wrestling whatsoever, he's still somehow making some semblance of a living at it going on 20 years.

He's a self obsessed moron who is more responsible for making it insanely difficult for me to enjoy my favourite mindless pass time for the better part of my adult life than every other person on earth combined.

Now, on an important topic, the ending of Zayne/Owens was FANTASTIC. When was the last time we saw a big match end like that? And how else could you have such a decisive finish, yet have it leave open so many possibilities for the next step in the feud? The worst you could say is that the final execution of the idea could have been better, but that's nitpicking.

One final point about Russo - the mere fact that he thinks that ending sucked says all you need to know about his opinions on things.

He's a self obsessed moron

Johnny Sorrow's quote missed the self obsessed part of his column from his headline "Can You Imagine If I Would Have Booked the Zayn/Owens Finish" to this portion of his rant:

"But, regardless, all I can think about when it comes to that match is the reaction of the IWC if VINCE RUSSO had actually booked that finish. Could you imagine the lambasting I would be taking this morning? The IWP would be asking for my pencil, my head, my job, and my freakin’ draws—if in fact I wore any. All day they would be talking about my total lack of knowledge and incompetence when it comes to wrestling. There would be blogs, podcasts, telegraphs and maybe even carrier pigeons. One website that I know of would tag last night, “The Night Vince Russo Not Only Killed NXT—But, The Entire Wrestling Business”. Man, there would be parades with paper mache Vince Russo heads on sticks. Some would be looting, or even turning over burning cars in the middle of the street.

But , , , that would be only if I booked it.

Today? Today it will be all right because it was NXT."

For someone who professes to be all about the talent, it's amusing to see him put himself over at their expense and get his shots in at Hunter.

I actually understand Russo's thinking and can explain it, it's totally wrong, but I can explain it. When he says " stopping a fight that isn't real" it totally explains where his head is at. He's so convinced that since everyone knows wrestling's a show, that doing a realistic ending is "crazy". Add in the stuff I didn't see from the quote and it shows how he thinks that he IWP (?) demands clean pins and also when HE did "realistic" shit, we shit on it. It's the ravings of a guy who just doesn't get it.

You have to give Russo credit in the fact that, in spite of having absolutely no discernible skill at any aspect of wrestling whatsoever, he's still somehow making some semblance of a living at it going on 20 years.

Is he in fact earning a paycheck from anything wrestling related?

You and I both know some morons are paying for access to his website.

I know no such thing, never been to his site or that it charges for membership/access. If he can generate a few bucks through advertising that's one thing, but can't imagine he's paying the mortgage from it.

I like the match until the finish.

Itami "Hulks Up" (or Fighting Spirit's) and no selling the leg was bad.

No sell is a bit strong. He sold it after the kicks.

Having seen a lot of KENTA in late 2000s, that was not KENTA no selling. It was perfectly fine and he was fighting through the pain. I was waiting for to fly around the ring at a million mile per hour and he didn't so kudos. KENTA in a WWE ring has been one of the surreal things for me over the past year.

I really like Breeze's character work. This is the first time, I thought he showed promise of being something more than just another pretty face. I hope he builds on it. The match was too abbreviated to be anything other than good, but it was a good showing for both.

I know no such thing, never been to his site or that it charges for membership/access. If he can generate a few bucks through advertising that's one thing, but can't imagine he's paying the mortgage from it.

I think we need a sarcasm font.

That being said, I'd bet there's a few hundred idiots out there paying him whatever he charges. He's done an annoyingly marvellous job of hyping himself since opening that site.

I really like Breeze's character work. This is the first time, I thought he showed promise of being something more than just another pretty face. I hope he builds on it. The match was too abbreviated to be anything other than good, but it was a good showing for both.

The first Breeze/Itami match, a few weeks before Rival, is actually much better. I don't know if it's because they were given more time then - I can't remember if they even were - but it was a more entertaining match overall. It's a shame they couldn't replicate that for the PPV. I think part of the problem is that Itami takes too much of a beating and barely gets any offense in. For someone who used the exciting signature moves of both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan years before they did, that hardly seems like a good way to get the most out of him.

Am I the only one who has been underwhelmed by Itami in NXT so far? I realize part of it is adjusting to the "WWE style" (which screwed Sin Cara up) and another part of it is how he's been used (being dominated in his matches, getting only a small flurry of offense in, then winning). Maybe he's miscast as a face? Until the language barrier is no longer an issue, he's going to have a harder time showing "personality." A silent, intense heel role might've worked better.

BTW, I agree about Breeze. As I said earlier in this thread: Tyler Breeze is the sleeper talent of NXT. He has it all - in-ring skills, looks, charisma, personality, flashy costumes, a fully developed character...everything.

Russo was officially put on the writing staff a couple of weeks later when the show half taped in America, half taped in South Africa bombed in the ratings, although he had been sitting in on production meetings for over a year by that point.

The first Breeze/Itami match, a few weeks before Rival, is actually much better. I don't know if it's because they were given more time then - I can't remember if they even were - but it was a more entertaining match overall. It's a shame they couldn't replicate that for the PPV. I think part of the problem is that Itami takes too much of a beating and barely gets any offense in. For someone who used the exciting signature moves of both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan years before they did, that hardly seems like a good way to get the most out of him.

Am I the only one who has been underwhelmed by Itami in NXT so far? I realize part of it is adjusting to the "WWE style" (which screwed Sin Cara up) and another part of it is how he's been used (being dominated in his matches, getting only a small flurry of offense in, then winning). Maybe he's miscast as a face? Until the language barrier is no longer an issue, he's going to have a harder time showing "personality." A silent, intense heel role might've worked better.

BTW, I agree about Breeze. As I said earlier in this thread: Tyler Breeze is the sleeper talent of NXT. He has it all - in-ring skills, looks, charisma, personality, flashy costumes, a fully developed character...everything.

I definitely agree with you on Itami. I don't see anything there. I wasn't overly-enthused when they signed him, though, so it might just be confirmation bias for me. I think he's just a guy.

I also agree on Breeze. He was my favorite part of that match. I do think the gimmick limits him a fair amount if/when he goes to WWE, but I'm a fan.

Breeze is my kinda character and have been a fan as soon as I heard Mmm Gorgeous was his catchphrase. Up until that match, I did not think he had much to offer in matches other than be an "opportunist" heel.

Tag match reminded me why I never liked Sin Cara. Even my main man, Kalisto seemed off. I am behind Kalisto as the big breakout star of this NXT class. He will be so versatile from a booking perspective as a utility babyface and he will be super over. Love his potential.

Baron/Bull lacked heat. Baron strikes me as totally useless. Bull seems like he has potential, but he needs to get meaner.

Put me in the Balor/Neville was an entertaining Indy Spotfest camp. Neville reminds me a lot of the Dynamite Kid. It is all about offense to him and selling is just getting in the way of him hitting his next explosive spot. He would be best served in a tag team either as a heel or a hot tag. He is useless at selling. I did not see upping the ante at all. He hit a fucking double stomp to the head!!! That's the finish, if not it is just MOVEZ~! for the sake of MOVEZ~! There were no transitions, it was just hitting shit for the sake of it. I have seen only two Balor matches and seems perfectly fine. Like to see what he would do in a brawl or a championship match where he is the underdog and needs to sell. Sample size is too small for me to render judgment.

LOVED the Women's Fatal 4-Way. Match of the night for me! My girl, Sasha Banks doing it like a Boss and taking the title was awesome. I have to admit Bayley stole the show. She showed more intensity in that match than just about any body on the roster. She was a great fired up babyface. I loved the singles match against Charlotte as a sort of Flair vs Sam Houston TV match. After this performance, Bayley is not Sam Houston, she is the real deal. So what is Corey Graves' beef with Becky Lynch. He seems nominally heel for the most part, but man did he loathe her. I like chicks that headbang so I am cool with the character. She had some nice throws, but she was just there for me. I really like how Charlotte was presented as a world-beater in this. It was only by being outnumbered (Lynch/Banks into LED) or Super Belly-To-Belly Suplex/Sasha Crossface that was able to put Charlotte in danger. Sasha winning relatively cleanly surprised me (yes Bayley's move was crucial for her to apply the crossface). I am a huge fan of The Boss especially the character work, but that celebration needed way more taunting. I mean Charlotte was crying. Mock her! It was too much of a babyface reaction, but just picking nits. Great match!

So if the Women's Fatal 4-Way was the match of the night where does that leave Zayn/Owens. Honestly, until the finish salvaged it, I was not feeling it. I really did not feel the hate coming from either of them. If I am really pissed at my friend, am I going to hit a Blue Thunder Bomb? Credit where credit is due, Zayn was rocking with the rights to the head for the most part, but I felt like he was going up against any heel when he was making his comebacks. I thought the beginning was best part until the finish with Zayn getting fed up and hitting the swandive over the ref that acted like a screen. The Owens heat segment was very good, but the transition out of it was pretty weak. Zayn's bumping and selling ensured this match would be great. The run between the heat segment and the finish just did not much for me. They were hitting their signature moves. Once the concussion angle kicked in off the split legged moonsault, I was 100% behind this match. Zayn's glassy-eyed selling was perfect and loved Owens just suffocating with stiff strikes. The powerbombs were sick and a perfect way to end it. It is a great match, but I do not see as a Match of the Year Contender come December.

EDIT: I was disappointed by this NXT crowd after how amazing they were for Zayn/Neville. I wrote a piece about how much it restored my faith that crowd not cared about Zayn winning, but they cared how he won. They did not want him to compromise himself to win the title by using the championship belt. I was disappointed how many people cheered Owens. At first I really liked how the Fight Owens Fight was drowned out by Ole Ole Chants. The problem was without Zayn offense you were only going to embolden the Owens fans. Would think that a longer, angrier babyface shine would have made for a better match and crowd dynamics.

So I finally sat down and watched this. In fact, this is the first NXT show I've seen in its entirety. Time to see what all the fuss is about.

Itami/Breeze: You'll never see me complain about a match where a worked-over body part is a factor throughout. Itami probably could have sold the leg more, but it's not like he completely blew it off. Not a home run by any means, but a solid base hit.

Corbin/Dempsey: I thought this was a good hoss fight. After all the WWE hardcore matches with contrived spots and millions of weapons, I found the minimalism of this match quite refreshing.

Lucha Dragons/Dubstep Cowboys: Yeah, this was pretty bad. You can't even call this a spotfest because the spots weren't even that good. It was just a bunch of stuff that happened until the finish.

Balor/Neville: First of all, does anyone else think that Balor's entrance with the dreadlocks and Carnage body paint and him crawling around and lunging at the camera and shit is goofy as hell? Anyway, I'd describe this as a WWE workrate match. I'm not a fan of either guy's offense, so this fell flat for me. The nearfall where Balor countered the Red Arrow and did a small package was really good, though.

Women's championship match: I'm opposed to multi-person singles matches on principle. Other than the finish, nothing in this match left enough of an impression for me to remember it five minutes later.

Owens/Zayn: Owen's offense was a bit too chinlock-heavy for my tastes, but I thought this was an outstanding performance by Zayn. His bumping was absolutely insane, and his hope spots were really well-timed. I also really liked his punch-drunk comeback. The best part about the ending was the "Z-Pak" chant when Dr. Amann came out.

Good show overall. Nothing knocked my socks off, but I never felt the urge to fast-forward through anything. Thumbs up.

First NXT show for me too. Enjoyed the opener quite a bit, Balor/Neville was good for what they were aiming at, but not exactly my taste, the women 4 way was suprisingly good and Owens vs Zayn is probably a MOTYC at this point. Loved the way they built it with the video and the entrances with silence from the announcers. Liked how they slowly built to the big offense at the end, and loved the finish, although the way the doctors took care of Zayn was indeed kinda goofy (hey, wasn't the guy Punk was bashing one of those two anyway ?). I'm totally gonna watch more of this show.

(That Russo quote is a riot BTW. Poor guy, he still doesn't understand shit at pro-wrestling.)