Pro Wrestling Only

Perro Aguayo Jr. (July 23, 1979-March 21, 2015)

sek69

Rob Viper posted this on the WO board:

About 2 and a half hours ago Rey Misterio Jr.'s return to Tijuana ended with him dropkicking Perro Aguayo Jr. & Manik (TJP) into the ropes for a double 619, nailing Manik with the move and splashing him for the win. Except Perro Aguayo Jr. hit the ropes wrong and suffered either a brain hemmorage or cervical spine trauma and was knocked out.

He never woke up.

An hour later reports came in he died in hospital.

I have no words. This is an absolute tragedy.

EDIT: Someone in attendance live wrote me and said the spot called for a double 619 but TJP hit the ropes first to setup the 619 which caused the rope to rebound back and nail Perro Jr. as he was falling forward. It struck him in the head & he was already KO'ed when his head hit the ring. It's possible he died right at that moment in the ring but nobody wanted to believe it so they rushed him to hospital anyways.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video starts right after the supposed spot that did it and shows how he's getting carried away. There is nothing violent or graphic about it, nevertheless beware when watching. I was sent this (with no description) without being told what was it and right away you can see something is not right.

EDIT: Now that I am over the initial shock, let me say that I'd not want to watch the video. I watched it as I didn't even know what it was but it's quite sad. Probably worse than the Oro video in that regard.

This is so shocking to me cause I started watching recent stuff of his on the AAA YouTube channel ever since the Rey signing.

When Konnan turned him over in the video, I saw some blood coming out of one of his eyes. Hopefully more information will come out cause the video above still doesn't show what really happened.

RIP to him also prayers to his family and friends.

Anybody want to recommend a couple of his top matches?

The matches vs Hijo del Santo in 04 and 06 would be a good place to start. They're both on Youtube.

I also highly recommend the tag from 1/23/15 with Texano vs Myzteziz and Psycho Clown if you want something more recent.

He looks punch drunk in a way even before that spot, like on the set up to Rey's rana that sent him out.

I don't want to Zapruder this any further though, because it doesn't matter, and this is awful. CMLL in '04-'05 was my first sustained run of watching real lucha and it was great to watch a guy become a STAR like he did.

First of all RIP Aguayo. It's hard to watch anyone get killed or die so I don't think I'll be watching this over and over and over. But I did watch a couple of times trying to figure out what happened. Just to me it looked like that initial dropkick rung his bell or did something to him. He was staggered getting up. Then on the roll he didn't get up quite right before the huricanrana to the floor and he immediately jumps back into the ring on his knees and gets dropkicked again to the ropes. That may have been the final blow but something was wrong before that. The ropes did not cause this from what I could see. Things like this can be tricky. He could have had something going on before the match and just a couple of blows the wrong way was all it took.

Regardless, it's a tragedy and I feel for his family and the other workers in the match. That's something that you will take with you regardless of who was at fault for the rest of your life.

And it could have started from a previous injury in another match. There was a boxer back in the day that Max Baer brutally KO'd and during his next fight just a few months later a simple jab killed him. His brain was already nearly detached and one little ding was all it took. But like I said above none of that really matters. I just hope people don't start pointing fingers at Mysterio because I'm sure no one feels worse than him over what happened.

I realize this was an indy show and all, but why did it seem like Konnan was the only one trying to do anything to help him for a long time? Even if you assume the guy's just knocked out you would think the doctor would want to get him out of the way quickly.

What an absolute tragedy. This week has been the absolute worst for Triple A. Not only having to postpone one of your biggest show twice, but also having two people die.

I was completly shocked when I read the news. I haven't watched a lot of his stuff, but I liked what I had seen.

I realize this was an indy show and all, but why did it seem like Konnan was the only one trying to do anything to help him for a long time? Even if you assume the guy's just knocked out you would think the doctor would want to get him out of the way quickly.

You can see Rey after he hit the 619 went right to him to check on him. I don't think there was anything he or Manik could have done. The best thing to do was quickly go to finish.

If indy shows in Mexico are like indy shows in the US, I would have no faith in assuming that company officials/ring gear could handle situations like this

Apparently two other workers on the show were injured before and it took the doctors a while to get to Perro because they were still busy with these. This is also the reason they had to improvise a table as stretcher to carry him away. The box/lucha comission is usually extra strict about lucha shows in Tijuana, so normally they would've been able to handle this. Terrible series of coincidences.