Pro Wrestling Only

Perro Aguayo Jr. (July 23, 1979-March 21, 2015)

sek69

I had always assumed the issues with Perro Sr. were physical due to all the years of bumping on notoriously hard 70s-80s era lucha rings, but hearing Dave mention how it's more mental due to decades of unprotected chairshots just added a whole other level of sadness to the story.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a country where some political forums have wrestlers at them in their masks. It's most likely a legit probe into AAA and whether they were negligent in having care present. However, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was a kayfabe move.

It's also a country that for decades had a regulatory body exerting control over the "sport" despite having no legal authority. The lines between kayfabe and reality are far more blurred in Mexico.

Kris really enjoyed this article. I've must have said this a hundred times since he passed away but I'll say it again Perro Aguayo Jr was one of my favorite Luchadores. And he has been for a good 13 or 14 years. His style reminded me of the veteran Luchadores that I enjoyed so much, and he carried a charisma that very few have in todays wrestling across the board, not just Mexico. I wrote and article for the WON site that I hope you can get a chance to read, it's more of a career retrospective than anything I guess it was just my way of paying tribute to someone who has entertained me for a long time.

Jesus fuck. The guy's completely unconscious, bleeding from an eyeball, and not only do they just keep going they're doing spots practically on top of him. Priorities.

That is the thought I had, as well. However, I would rather not judge someone's actions in a moment like that because I have no idea what I would do, either. It's a traumatic event.

Hopefully you wouldn't do something as drastic as breaking kayfabe.

I can't believe that some fans (possibly other wrestlers too) actually are sending Rey Mysterio death threats...

Classy, and totally ignoring the fact that Mysterio has a reputation for being one of the safest workers around. Accidents can, and do happen. It's the nature of any sport of form of entertainment with incredibly physical elements.

I remember when Misawa died and fans were actually sympathetic towards Akitoshi Saito, indeed, it was Saito himself who took it hardest, he felt enormous guilt and grief over the accident and even had to be talked out of retiring by his fellow wrestlers.

Brutal. Didn't have many words for it when Hoback mentioned it on Saturday... still don't now. The footage doesn't help: just about the most inexplicable thing you've ever seen, with a sadness and helplessness of watching Charles shake him to try to revive him because that's almost exactly what Perro looks like: "out" rather than something far worse. Can't imagine how devastated Charles, Oscar and Perrito's family and friends are. Just brutal.

WTF? How on earth does a wrestler die after receiving a light standing dropkick? Watching it back it didn't even look like Perro got hit in the head. The impact of the boots seems to be on his shoulder and upper arm. It must surely have been a pre-existing brain injury that was waiting to go off like a time bomb. Will have to wait for the autopsy results. It was said Misawa died after a 6/10 head bump in terms of severity. That was a 1/10 bump right there and absolutely zero blamed should be attributed to Rey.

Tracy Smothers posted this about the situation

I wrestled Perro Aguayo Sr. many times in Mexico on the 2 tours I did there.He was a Mexican Legend an a tough,honorable man.I can,t imagine what the entire Aguayo family is going through with the loss of Perro Jr. an having to see how he died over an over with it being shared so much on youtube which I don,t think anybody did with bad intent but please put urself in their place..Is so sad when anyone in our biz passes however it happens.Our busines can,will,destroy u mentally,physically,spiritually,for sure is the most brutal thing cause its yr. around,work hurt,sick,go in the ring with injuries that put guys in other sports out for a season yet our season is yr. around.The travel alone is is hard an some can,t hack it..A regular flat back bump in the middle of a good ring is like a car hitting u from behind going 25mph.Wrap ur mind around that for a sec I DARE YA..Always when people quiz me bout our biz I tell them that their is now ay I can explain it to u cause u never done it,lived it,breathed it,made a living from it an u know about as much bout what we do as I do making a NUCLEAR WEAPON.Jr. died doing what he loved.He,Ray,Alberto,Konnan,were so young back then an will continue to keep mexican wrestling going.RIP PERRO AGUAYO JR.,GOD BLESS U,YOUR FAMILY..

from Meltzer's daily update:

• The autopsy report from the Baja California Attorney General's Office said that Perro Aguayo Jr. fractured his C-1, C-2 and C-3 vertebrae in his neck and passed away on the way to the hospital, which contradicted the report he was alive while at the hospital. They could not pinpoint exactly what happened to do so, but said it was two different moments of impact and that no level or speed of medical treatment would have made a difference. The Mexico City commission noted that Aguayo Jr. had been given a complete physical 15 days earlier (probably the night of the 3/6 AAA show in Mexico City) and he was fine. (thanks to Cubsfan)
  • Rey Bucanero said he talked with Rey Mysterio Jr. and said Mysterio Jr. told him that he is leaning toward retirement. Mysterio Jr. is scheduled to be in Santa Clara tonight which would be his first public interview and in San Jose later for Wrestlecon.

Later Dave/WO-4:

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/3-news/41805-rey-mysterio-disputes-rumors-that-hes-retiring

Despite reports to the contrary all over the Internet today, Rey Mysterio made it clear tonight at the WaleMania event that he has no plans to retire.

Rey Mysterio, Konnan and Dave Meltzer are doing a Q&A tonight at Taste Nightclub in Santa Clara, CA, prior to a concert featuring Wale. More info can be found at WaleMania.com.