Pro Wrestling Only

Exile on Badstreet #6 = The Price of Ridiculousness Part 2 (Death of JCP)

I always loved Starcade 88 as a card. My main problem was the amount of tags in a row on the show. So it didn't seem as diverse as it was suggested it was . Great show guys. So Windham left cause he made a play for the book. So the story of him leaving to have surgery , but not having the surgery is false?

No one really knows the true reason as there was so much going on with him at that time

"Dusty shares a lot of similarities with Tito. Not Tito Santana but the Yugoslavian dictator."

Yeah, this was the line that broke me too.

Fantastic episode, and the '89 edition(s) can't come soon enough. The amount of knowledge between the three of you is incredible, especially given that, if I understand what was said here correctly, Bix was about four years old when this stuff first aired, and Dylan not much older than that?

Sting-Luger-Windham as a kind of missed opportunity parallel to the Three Musketeers of NJPW who were emerging at the time is interesting. If the three of them had ever been booked well as babyface brethren, you could have had something like the dynamic that you now see with the Shield, where you can split them off, have them feud, and reunite at times to the delight of the crowd. Windham's the obvious heel among them, with Sting being the hardest to turn, but any dynamic of that trio could have worked.

Windham wanting to become a booker (or perhaps a "player-coach" of sorts) at 28 seems odd, but as noted, there was a lot that was odd about him at that time. He almost comes off as a Brian Kendrick guy who could sort of take or leave wrestling as needed, or had a polarized attitude towards it where at times he either passionate or completely out to lunch depending on which way the wind blew.

Stan is known for bragging about Flair training hin yes

Of course he does. If you were trained by Ric Flair, which you couldn't be, because only Stan Lane was trained by Ric Flair, then why wouldn't you constantly brag about being trained by Ric Flair? Like Stan Lane, the only wrestler ever trained by Ric Flair.

Did Brian Pillman have heat with Stan Lane? :P Why did Ross or was it Dangerously insist Flair trained Pillman during those awesome Flair/Pillman matches?

I don't in any way disagree with comments that were made above. But I love this podcast for a reason it's kind of hard to describe in a few words. There are times where the level of detail gone into on the nuts and bolts and how the moving parts affected the outcomes is tremendous. And there are other times where nostalgia, disappointment and personal recollections dominate the discussion. The parts of the show where things are discussed from a fan vs. business standpoint combine both to a point. I love how all of these flow back and forth as the discussion goes and all three panelists are at home in each environment. It makes for a fun journey through a lot of interesting facts and anecdotes that could very easily have come off as dry and overly long if done wrong. Keep up the great work.

Finally got to listen to this (and part 1) and it was a great podcast. I broke it down in several chunks so it never dragged down (dawho5 explains exactly why two posts above mine).

As somebody who years ago read a bunch about the rise and fall of Yugoslavia I got a kick of the Tito comparison. I had no idea where this was going until the "not Tito Santana, but the Yugoslavian dictator" line had me laughing.

This had me really wishing that we had the TV of that era on the WWE Network so I could follow it chronologically.

Loved both these shows and really appreciated the give-and-take between the three of you. It felt like a genuine discussion rather than just three guys talking over each other. A good mix of anecdotes and analysis too.

In terms of requests, I'd love to hear a podcast on the history of televised wrestling. How did it start? How were formats settled? How did it change the business? Then perhaps some focus on key events - Black Saturday, first Nitro etc.

• 2 weeks later...