Pro Wrestling Only

Vince McMahon's rules to announcers leaked on reddit.

Grimmas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone making such a big deal about this? What is REALLY so bad about those rules except for some of the "Don't say belt or title shot" shit?

I love how many posts I've read around the net about "Geez how can they work with so many rules!?" like every employer under the sun doesn't have an Employee Handbook that has about 2-3 times as much shit in it.

Words to avoid:

belt, strap

the business, our industry

feud

war

performance/performer, choreograph

house show, use live event

backstage, use in the back or in the lockerroom area

pro wrestling, pro wrestler use superstar, star, athlete

international, use global

shot (no title shots)

acrobatics

interesting

DQ

talent (use star, superstar, diva)

me, I

heel, baby face, blown up, shoot, rib, mark, etc..

US, use United States

Fans, (when possible refer to the audience as "you". In other situations ID them - Raw fans, Our fans, Cena fans, etc...)

hospital, use edical center

faction, use group

please use "now available" instead of on sale

We never want to use the term "the title is on the line" Please use more creative terms like "the title will be defended, etc..

Some of those are words SHOULD be banned. Does Michael Cole really need to be talking about babyfaces and heels? Or say someone in a match is "blown up"? Do we want everyone to sound like Matt Striker and "I'm marking out bro!"?

What exactly is lost by calling a feud a rivalry instead of a feud? I don't really see the problem with the word feud but the amount of "omg this is why WWE is awful and Vince should die already" posts I've read about this is asinine (not lumping you into that Grimmas). I could list about twice as many rules they have on there that are logical and make perfect sense but people just keep cherry picking "You can't say wrestling!" as if that's even new.

Some of those are words SHOULD be banned. Does Michael Cole really need to be talking about babyfaces and heels? Or say someone in a match is "blown up"? Do we want everyone to sound like Matt Striker and "I'm marking out bro!"?

What exactly is lost by calling a feud a rivalry instead of a feud?

What are you talking about? Where did I see everything in here was bad? Where did I state that these are all negatives?

There is some good points in these releases, but a lot of sillyness too. Either way it's a fun read into the mind of Vince.

I agree that this is not too surprising of a leak, but I do find it that funny that...

a) It seemed a sizeable amount of these rules were broken blatantly during Michael Cole's heel run, especially when it came to running down Daniel Bryan every week

B) Announcers can't say "Our industry" or "This industry," but there was about a decade where I could've sworn Triple H uttered that phrase in every one of his show-starting monologues on every episode of RAW he was on (which was all of them).

I think the issue is not so much that Vince has rules for announcers, it's more that he changes them on a whim frequently for no apparent reason. Plus as we've seen with Byron Saxton the announcers are frequently browbeaten until either they become too gunshy to be able to show any personality and/or have any passion for their job beaten out of them.

Just look at their most tenured announcers now:

Lawler: Doesn't even bother to watch the shows he's not on and offers little other than the occasional joke to remind people he used to be funny once.

JBL: Vince's on air avatar who is the only one allowed to speak freely without being yelled at, frequently steamrolls other commentators. Titus shutting him down on Raw last week was one of my top moments of 2015.

Cole: After his heel run burying every babyface on the roster, he's been reduced to a catchphrase generating machine that is eerily similar to 80s-early 90s Vince minus the IcoPro suppliments.

I love how many posts I've read around the net about "Geez how can they work with so many rules!?" like every employer under the sun doesn't have an Employee Handbook that has about 2-3 times as much shit in it.

Announcers don't have the ability to stop time in the middle of a live broadcast and go "oh shit, wait, is what I want to say AGAINST THE RULES?". As often as not, they're improvising most of their commentary live, in real time. It's hard to keep in mind an entire list of like 200 banned words that you're not allowed to say, including such things as "me", "interesting", "belt", "up for grabs", and "every pronoun ever".

It was, but it got deleted for whatever reason.

I did some searching and only proof I can offer is this screenshot http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsw1xH08XsY-V4sbjNLwoHD8KlGCcHkr7fjB73niNjHE3XMVLP you can zoom in on and make out some of the words and this old reddit thread that had a link to it

Edited by LariatMMBOPPO

This still has all of the leaked documents: http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/7/8/8912989/be-yourself-now-heres-a-list-of-stuff-not-to-do-

Most of these rules are fine. The commentary still sucks though, probably because Vince is yelling in their ears for three hours. Look how much better the commentary was on the Japanese "Beast in the East" special, presumably because Vince wasn't there to "produce" them. Am I saying Michael Cole was perfect and suddenly morphed into the next Gordon Solie or Jim Ross? No. But he was actually very decent, maybe on par with a Tony Schiavone type.

JBL: Vince's on air avatar who is the only one allowed to speak freely without being yelled at, frequently steamrolls other commentators. Titus shutting him down on Raw last week was one of my top moments of 2015.

What did JBL say and what did Titus do?

The use of "championship opportunity" instead of title shot bothers me more than it should, but fuck, no matter how you say it, no matter what context it's said, it sticks out like a sore ass.

I think what bothers me about "championship opportunity" is that it sounds like the challenger won a contest or something, not like he earned the chance to challenge for the title.

Oddly enough you would think that logic would be obvious to Vince because it kind of falls in line with some of the other items in this list, but alas...

also to the people getting indignant about others' reactions to this:

IMO the problem isn't that the rules themselves are all bad. Some of them do make sense, and honestly many of them are common sense. The issue I have with these rules (aside from the obvious attempt to erase the concept of 'pro wrestling' from their public image) is that they are often contradictory. It must be maddening to be told to be yourself and put things into your own words but then you're prescribed a very specific and often unnatural set of words you can use. The problem is that it is literally impossible to follow every one of these rules and therefore impossible to please the management. Not to mention the fact that these rules clearly change over time on the whims of a crazy old man.

This isn't on the list but it bugs me that the winner of the Royal Rumble earns the opportunity to main event Wrestlemania. It should be that the winner of the Royal Rumble earns the opportunity to compete for the WWE World Championship at Wrestlemania.

also to the people getting indignant about others' reactions to this:

IMO the problem isn't that the rules themselves are all bad. Some of them do make sense, and honestly many of them are common sense. The issue I have with these rules (aside from the obvious attempt to erase the concept of 'pro wrestling' from their public image) is that they are often contradictory. It must be maddening to be told to be yourself and put things into your own words but then you're prescribed a very specific and often unnatural set of words you can use. The problem is that it is literally impossible to follow every one of these rules and therefore impossible to please the management. Not to mention the fact that these rules clearly change over time on the whims of a crazy old man.

Contradictory rules are really not that uncommon in the work place, especially in a large corporation. The announcer rules, if actually followed, would lead to better announcing than what we have.

This isn't on the list but it bugs me that the winner of the Royal Rumble earns the opportunity to main event Wrestlemania. It should be that the winner of the Royal Rumble earns the opportunity to compete for the WWE World Championship at Wrestlemania.

wrestlemania is bigger than the title in vince's mind